Metronome help, FAST!!

pannbeen

Hi!
I have a gig with my band this weekend, and i need a good metronome that have like different tracks, so i can adjst the tempo of the songs before the gig, so i just can chose track on the metronome fast and don't need so much time to change tempo.

Ipad metronome or just a regular irl metronome! :)

I love the Tama Rhythm Watch. It is programmable for different songs (just push a button and you're on to the next song) and the controls are easy. There are other Metronomes out there, but I've used this model for about 2 years, and it has never disappointed me. I hope your gig goes well!!!

I love the Tama Rhythm Watch. It is programmable for different songs (just push a button and you're on to the next song) and the controls are easy. There are other Metronomes out there, but I've used this model for about 2 years, and it has never disappointed me. I hope your gig goes well!!!

Okey, thanks! i love tama stuffs so i think i'll go for one of those ;)
Thank you!!

if you have a smart phone there's probably an metronome app. don't take my word for it but they have apps for everything these days.

other wise go shake $20 dollars out for a cheap korg

Do you really need a metronome to play live?I can see using one for practice,and a click in the studio.Even using a click live if you incorporating pre recorded parts,like the synthesizer part from Won't get Fooled Again,when the Who played it live.But using a metronome with a live band seems really restrictive.You're not letting the music breathe.

Sorry I've never heard of that....really.

Steve B

Do you really need a metronome to play live?I can see using one for practice,and a click in the studio.Even using a click live if you incorporating pre recorded parts,like the synthesizer part from Won't get Fooled Again,when the Who played it live.But using a metronome with a live band seems really restrictive.You're not letting the music breathe.

Sorry I've never heard of that....really.

Steve B

Oh my gosh it's the best I love it!!! Actually I find it to be quite liberating, and the band is so much tighter when I play with the metronome!

I guess I just can't wrap my head around that at all.There were times that we (the band) would decide to just play a tune faster or slower on the fly,.and all I needed to do was count us in.

We also used to jam a lot.With the band ..with different musicians;change tempo and generally ..improvise on the spot

I don't know,playing live and being tied to a click or a metronome,to me is the opposite of liberating.Part of what we do is keep time and sometimes,we should be able to push it a little or,sit back on the tempo depending on how it "feels".

To me a metronome is a practice tool to help teach me to keep time,and to actually do it live...is my job.After a time you may find that you are dependant on it and you might not be able to play without one,and as far as i'm concerned,thats not part of my drumset.

Can you imagine sombody telling Buddy Rich..hey,I set a metronome to time your last number,and you were not perfect"

I guess some guys do it,but I can't imagine Bonzo,Morello,Elvin Jones,Simon Phillips,and the list goes on...using a metronome to keep the band in time.

Steve B

I guess I just can't wrap my head around that at all.There were times that we (the band) would decide to just play a tune faster or slower on the fly,.and all I needed to do was count us in.

We also used to jam a lot.With the band ..with different musicians;change tempo and generally ..improvise on the spot

I don't know,playing live and being tied to a click or a metronome,to me is the opposite of liberating.Part of what we do is keep time and sometimes,we should be able to push it a little or,sit back on the tempo depending on how it "feels".

To me a metronome is a practice tool to help teach me to keep time,and to actually do it live...is my job.After a time you may find that you are dependant on it and you might not be able to play without one,and as far as i'm concerned,thats not part of my drumset.

Can you imagine sombody telling Buddy Rich..hey,I set a metronome to time your last number,and you were not perfect"

I guess some guys do it,but I can't imagine Bonzo,Morello,Elvin Jones,Simon Phillips,and the list goes on...using a metronome to keep the band in time.

Steve B

hahaha anyone that would tell Buddy or Bonham they weren't perfect, would probably get an earful, followed by a face full of fist shortly thereafter!! Have you heard some of the tapes of Buddy Rich going off on his band?!?!

I agree with you that our hero's of yesteryear most definitely did not play with a click, and were probably better off for it. If you did the tap tempo thing to "Stairway to Heaven," for example, it's all over the place. But it's freaking awesome!!!!!

I don't use a metronome live for every song. We play mostly originals, and all of us feel that some of our songs need to breathe, push, and pull. However there are other songs we feel need to be tight, precise, and unmoving. So we go back and fourth.

I have different metronome devices: The classic and superb DR BOSS 550 (sequencer) in my practice room, Boss DB 90 and finally the IPHONE app "TEMPO".
(It´s more advanced that other metronome machines)
I don´t play with click track with my bands live, but I am using the Iphone APP TEMPO just for the initial tempo of the song, to make sure that I start the songs in its right tempo.
Also the app has a BIG LIGHT click indicator, useful if you want to check your tempo during the songs/practice or whatever you need it.

This is the app:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl_853RDkG4
And here you can see the BOSS DR 550 in some picture in my website:
http://juanexpo.com/equipo.htm

Last edited:
I play with a click live all of the time, what I like about playing with a click is you do not have to be concerned about tempos or rushing fills etc. I find it liberating more than restraing. Most songs I use a click, some I use a click for reference. There are some tunes I have played that need to eb and flo more than most tunes.

I have to ask you...can you play without it?I mean who cares if the time isn't perfect?

Time dosen't have to be metronomicly perfect in a live setting.In the studio,where there are overdubs, I get it ,but live?

If you find yourself rushing fills,then practice is what you need,not a crutch.....but to each his own.Just my opinion.

Steve B

Back