does anyone know how to reformat an ipod?

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
Aright so i got this new mac (first mac, always been a pc user), but when i plug in my ipod it says it cant sinc it up with the music on the mac cause its formatted on the pc. Is there a way to "clear" the ipod of everything and make it like new? Can i reformat it to work on my mac? Should i have hope for a world with an ipod that's formatted on my mac? Will God have mercy on my soul?

Not being an iPod owner, but being a Mac owner (currently running Linux, as my Mac is 400 miles away) I can suggest the 'Apple Disk Utility' and mounting the iPod as an external hard drive and then formatting it for Mac. That should work. There's probably a neater way, but that's one way of doing it.

Have you tried this? If this doesn't work then take your ipod and your mac to an apple store near you. I'm sure that they will gladly help you. The folks at the Apple stores are always there to support you. I gave an ipod that was configured for a Mac to a PC user about a year ago and I think this is how I solved the format problem. How do you like your mac? I switched about a year ago and I have never looked back. I wouldn't trade my mac for anything!

Restoring iPod to factory settings
Last Modified: May 06, 2008
Article: HT1339
Old Article: 60983
Summary
Learn how to restore iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, and iPod nano to factory settings.

If you need to restore an iPod shuffle, click here.

Background
It is important to understand the difference between "update" and "restore". Update simply installs the software that controls iPod and does not affect the songs and files stored on iPod's disk. Restore erases the iPod's disk and restores iPod to its original factory condition.

Warning: because Restore erases all of the songs and files on iPod, make sure to back up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library. If you use the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, see this document for more information.

Products Affected
iPod nano, iPod mini, iPod, iPod classic
How to restore iPod
Ensure that you have an active Internet connection as new versions of iTunes and iPod Software may need to be downloaded to your computer.
Download and install the latest version of iTunes if you do not already have it installed.
Open iTunes, and then connect your iPod to your computer using the USB or FireWire cable that came with your iPod.
After a few moments, your iPod will appear in the Source panel in iTunes.
Select your iPod in the Source panel and you will see information about your iPod appear in the Summary tab of the main iTunes windows.
Click the Restore button. You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download the latest iPod Software. The 4 possible restore options are:
Restore Option 1: Restore - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod.
Restore Option 2: Use Same Version - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod even though a newer version is available.
Restore Option 3: Use Newest Version - Restores with the latest iPod Software available.
Restore Option 4: Restore and Update - Restores with the latest iPod Software available.
If you are using a Mac, a message will appear prompting you to enter an administrator’s name and password.
A progress bar will appear on the computer screen indicating that the first stage of the restore process has started. When this stage is completed, iTunes will present one of two messages on screen with instructions specific to the iPod model you are restoring.
Restore Instruction 1: Disconnect iPod and connect it to iPod Power Adapter (typically applies to older iPod models).
Restore Instruction 2: Leave iPod connected to computer to complete restore (typically applies newer iPod models).
During the stage 2 of the restore process, the iPod will show an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remains connected to the computer or iPod Power adapter during this stage. Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see since the backlight on the iPod display may be off.
After stage 2 of the restore process is complete and the iPod is connected to the computer, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear asking you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences similar to when you connected your iPod for the first time.
Additional Information
60952: How to rename your iPod
61771: iPod does not appear in iTunes or on the desktop, an exclamation point or sad iPod icon appears onscreen
61584: iPod only shows an Apple logo and doesn't start up
61711: Your Windows PC doesn't recognize iPod
60950: iPod doesn't appear in iTunes or on my Mac desktop

Rate this article:
Not helpful Somewhat helpful Helpful Very helpful Solved my problem
Home>SupportVisit the Apple Store online (1-800-MY-APPLE), visit a retail location, or find a reseller.Site Map | Hot News | RSS Feeds | Contact Us

Last edited:
wow thanks! It worked fine.

Bobda im in the same boat as you. I'll definitely never look back from macs, they're really darn good. Not only is it insanely fast, and has a lot of memory, but the biggest reason i got a mac was for garage band and all those other programs. Now i just need a midi keyboard and my own workstation and maybe finale and i can start making some music...

wow thanks! It worked fine.

Bobda im in the same boat as you. I'll definitely never look back from macs, they're really darn good. Not only is it insanely fast, and has a lot of memory, but the biggest reason i got a mac was for garage band and all those other programs. Now i just need a midi keyboard and my own workstation and maybe finale and i can start making some music...
I'm glade that it helped. I also like Garage band a great deal. I'm not a computer genius by any means. I'm not afraid to try advanced things on the mac because I can get results. One year ago I did almost nothing on the computer except surf the net. Now I do everything on the computer. I go to the seminars at the Apple store from time to time and they are great. It's nice to know that there are knowledgeable people to help you at the store. You pay a lot more for a mac, but you get a lot more also.

I'm glade that it helped. I also like Garage band a great deal. I'm not a computer genius by any means. I'm not afraid to try advanced things on the mac because I can get results. One year ago I did almost nothing on the computer except surf the net. Now I do everything on the computer. I go to the seminars at the Apple store from time to time and they are great. It's nice to know that there are knowledgeable people to help you at the store. You pay a lot more for a mac, but you get a lot more also.

That's just it. You don't actually have to start paying much more at the moment the way things are working out. It's another Vista bashing time, guys!

I've been thinking about this a great deal. To get Vista functionality on a laptop, over here you're going to be spending around £650-700 to get one that actually works as it should. My brother spent £800 on a desktop and Vista runs really well - but not everyone has a trust fund for their University. By the time you're spending that sort of money, you're actually getting into Mac territory. If you want a cheaper PC you have two options:

i) Get a laptop with XP pre-installed (older stock) or get hold of an old XP disk that's leftover stock.

ii) Install a version of Linux onto your laptop.

I chose option ii) last week when I left my Mac at University and it's not really an option still for a lot of average home users. I'm not a particular geek but I am a bit above average, maybe. It's taken me a week to get Wireless working (on Ubuntu 8.10) so really, I wouldn't say that it's always the most user-friendly option and that's purely because of hardware support rather than the software itself.

In conclusion? Well, I go around University and I'm starting to see a LOT more Apple computers than I used to.

Back