Drumming shoes

Togg

So, I have been searching for some time to find something suitable. Modern trainers are too thick and you get no feel from them, normal shoes are too slippy and have no grip.

So what do you do??

I first thought of rock climbing shoes, but they are too in-flexible, I looked at cycling shoes but much the same..

Then I watched Neil Peart...he wears dancing shoes.. so hot footed it...get it over to my local ballet shop and asked to see what they have.

Turns out they have 'street dancing' shoes that are canvas with very thin soles, just right

We shall see I will be trying them out shortly

What do you guys wear?

I wear Adidas Good Year shoes. They're based on race driver's shows, so they're designed for grip and feel on pedals. Very light-weight, best drumming shoes I've ever used. The only problem is that they don't breathe too well, so my feet do get pretty sweaty after a few songs.
727.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The best shoe is the one mother nature gave me. I can't stand playing with anything other than bare feet or socks...

Personally, I need very little grip on the soles of my shoes. If the shoe sticks to the kick pedal, I can't execute proper slide doubles, and everything starts to feel heavy and sluggish.

Same thing I wear while walking: usually Converse or Pumas but if it's something else, it's something else. I don't think it's something to get too hung up about. 10-15 years ago everyone was wearing Doc Martens while playing, swearing that was the way to go...

i find i cant play unless im barefoot because I dont have as much grip or dexterity with shoes or socks on.

I wear Adidas Good Year shoes. They're based on race driver's shows, so they're designed for grip and feel on pedals. Very light-weight, best drumming shoes I've ever used. The only problem is that they don't breathe too well, so my feet do get pretty sweaty after a few songs.

These aren't the exact model, but they're pretty close:
http://www.shoesnike.cn/up/prod/727.jpg
727.jpg

Those look similar to Puma Speedcats, which are the shoes of choice for Thomas Lang.

Back in the '80's the big thing was wrestling shoes, not the WWE boots but true greco roman wrestling style shoes. Because they were thin and light weight. Me I just wear my regular running shoes. I've thought about trying some other type of shoe like a dancing shoe but haven't found a need I guess

I just wear the sorta retro-looking Puma or Adidas canvas tennis shoes, or Adidas "shell toe" (Superstar 2) shoes. Incidentally, I use these not specifically for drumming, but they work great for it because they're just basic casual sneakers. Comfy to walk in, and flat soles with no rounded toes like running shoes. I'm currently wearing the 1st two (on my 2nd pair of the Pumas), and I've worn all these and they all work great. (Oh, and my Puma "Clydes" were black w/white laces & blue stripe, not these ugly red ones!) I can also play in my Sketchers casuals shown last, when I need to be a little dressier. I cut that little tab off the back 'cause the back of my pants leg always gets caught on it. :p

Attachments

• adidas campus lt.jpg
    adidas campus lt.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 30,422
  • puma frankenclyde s.jpg
    puma frankenclyde s.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 30,764
  • adidas campus 2.jpg
    adidas campus 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 30,446
  • adidas superstar 2.jpg
    adidas superstar 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 31,246
  • puma clyde vs.jpg
    puma clyde vs.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 30,258
  • sketchers alley cats.jpg
    sketchers alley cats.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 30,094
Those Adiddas and these Macbeth shoes are great...I prefer tight fitting shoes when handling the pedals.

Attachments

• macbeth tom bonham.jpg
    macbeth tom bonham.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 37,659
Back