Sonor Prolite Snare...

kallewille

I bought myself a Prolite kit earlier this year and have thought about getting a matching snare as I didn't buy one at the time. The flanged hooped version is considerably cheaper than the die-cast hoops. I'm pretty sure there are places I can buy the die cast hoops later should I decide to want them (which I think I do). Anyone know what the die-cast hoops are made of? Pretty sure Tama uses zinc, as that's my only history with die-cast hoops: the maple SC I played on for years had them on all the drums except the kick, of course.

I'm content with the snare drum I'm currently using, a G-Bubinga Tama. However, I'm having a hard time getting the tone I want out of it. Whenever I leave the snare wires unstrained, I like what I'm hearing. It seems like whenever I put the wires on though I'm getting a rather choked sound. I've loosened the tension evenly until they're barely touching and it seems like the full sound just gets really thin. Could it be tuning? I've double checked and even reset the wires to make sure they're even on the reso head, and checked to make sure the wire set wasn't tighter on one side than the other. Any thoughts?

Either way, I would like a Sonor snare in matching finish. It's a shame no store anywhere close carries them though, as I'd like to play one before dropping just shy of a grand on one. As much as I love the toms and kick though, I doubt I'd be disappointed.

How deep is the Prolite snare you're considering? I have a Delite snare (vintage maple) in 14 x 6" and it's the best drum in my kit, and the best snare I've played, by far. The super-thin shell is very resonant, and I think this pairs best with die-cast hoops. I think it might be too open with flanged hoops, as it's already about the most resonant drum construction out there, as far as wood snares go. The die-casts help focus the sound, and the cross-stick sound you'll get will make you wet yourself--it's incredible.

I use an old Coated Ambassador on mine; it was on the drum when I bought the Delite kit. It's not one of those lower-quality newer heads that have all the white coating flaked off after a month of playing...I have no idea how old the head originally is, but all the coating is still there, and I've been playing it for over 5 years now.

How deep is the Prolite snare you're considering? I have a Delite snare (vintage maple) in 14 x 6" and it's the best drum in my kit, and the best snare I've played, by far. The super-thin shell is very resonant, and I think this pairs best with die-cast hoops. I think it might be too open with flanged hoops, as it's already about the most resonant drum construction out there, as far as wood snares go. The die-casts help focus the sound, and the cross-stick sound you'll get will make you wet yourself--it's incredible.

I use an old Coated Ambassador on mine; it was on the drum when I bought the Delite kit. It's not one of those lower-quality newer heads that have all the white coating flaked off after a month of playing...I have no idea how old the head originally is, but all the coating is still there, and I've been playing it for over 5 years now.

I've found I prefer the 5-5.5" range on snares. I'm a bit disappointed to read your vote for the diecast hoops as I feared they'd be that good. I guess I'll just have to keep putting money in the piggy bank and wait until I can afford the one with the die-cast hoops.

Thanks for the feedback!

Any thoughts on diecast versus triple flanged, Mr. KIS?
Two very different hoop types. Go triple flange if you want to keep things open, die cast if you want a focussed head response, but also consider S hoops. They're more open than die cast, but more focussed than triple flange, & in terms of tuning accuracy, stiffer than both.

Out of curiosity, what premium is the Sonor dealer asking for die cast hoops?

Two very different hoop types. Go triple flange if you want to keep things open, die cast if you want a focussed head response, but also consider S hoops. They're more open than die cast, but more focussed than triple flange, & in terms of tuning accuracy, stiffer than both.

No price was quoted but the price difference between the two drums was ~$150, so that'd be my guess if not more.

I'm a bit surprised to see the S-hoops are more rigid than the die-cast. I can't say I have any evidence to back it up, but I always did feel like the die-cast hoops felt more secure regarding tuning with the Starclassics I played for so long.

I do like open sounding drums, so maybe I'll go for the triple flanged and then down the road invest in some die-cast and/or s-hoops.

Just got a quote for $180. Not sure it's worth it or not to get the flanged hoops and then later going for the diecast or just get them to begin with. Options are always good, I guess.

$180 for a prolite snare... dear gods take it. They are one of my fav wooden snares ever created. They also get a lot of fantastic reviews. I remember it being mike dolbears dream snare also....

Whoa there! Hahaha. Not $180 for a prolite snare, $180 for the die cast hoops. I was debating on getting the prolite with the flanged hoops which sells for about $150 less than the model that comes with the die cast hoops, so I asked the guy if I decided to order die cast hoops later on what they'd cost me. Keep It Simple was curious as to what I was quoted and I hadn't gotten anything back until today.

If it sounds too good to be true... ;)

Back