excessive bass drum movement....

cooldrummer95

by excessive bass drum movement i mean that the drum is moving so that it hinders my playing. i play double pedal. everytime i hit my bass drum, it like wobbles and then settles just a smidge away from where it was.

the set is in my bedroom on a big area rug and the spurs have the spikes out.

it used to not do this. it has been doing it for about a week and idk why. about a month ago, i changed my tom angle. i moved it from the "standard" place on the left side of the bass (from the driver's seat) to where it would be if i was on a snare stand, real low so i can get a lot of power and speed when i hit it. i have the tube style mounts and i have the short end (usually in the tom) in the bass, and the long end (usually in the bass) in the tom.

my pedal doesn't have a base plate on the main pedal so i sort of thought that this could be making it do this because the pedal fish tails all over the place anyway.

or could the abnormal tom position be throwing off the weight of the bass drum causing it to wobble?

i have been messing with spur lengths, trying to figure out what is wrong. any ideas?

I've recently been having this problem on my 22" 10 year old kick and, like you, I've tried everything. I thought about putting the spikes on a grinder to sharpen them up, but haven't gotten around to it.

Then a couple weeks ago, I took delivery of my new 24" bass drum with the same style spurs, and those suckers are really sharp brand new. That bass drum doesn't slide at all, so I guess I really do need to sharpen those on my 22".

Maybe try that?

I know you said the pedal doesn't have a base plate, but does it have any flat surface, like at the front and/or back? If so, put some velcro tape on it (the stiff side of the velcro). If the pedal's anchored to the floor and securely attached the the drum then nothing should move.

i am working on getting a base plate made for it. but i will try the velcro as soon as possible because that seems to be the easiest solution right now. i will sharpen those spurs as well.

it has gotten ridiculous! when i hit the drum with my pedal the part that the pedal is hooked to just about comes off the ground and the entire drum wobbles and then is shifted a wierd way.

Put a pad of velcro on the bottom of the pedal. The side of velcro with the hooks. One piece under the heel plate, another piece or two on the bottom of the frame. You might also get a 1x3" piece of rubber, like a cutting from a bicycle tube and put them in between the clamp jaws on the pedal so that the pedal grips the BD well.

Problem solved.

it used to not do this. it has been doing it for about a week and idk why. about a month ago, i changed my tom angle. i moved it from the "standard" place on the left side of the bass (from the driver's seat) to where it would be if i was on a snare stand, real low so i can get a lot of power and speed when i hit it. i have the tube style mounts and i have the short end (usually in the tom) in the bass, and the long end (usually in the bass) in the tom.

I just re-read this part, I glossed over it the first time... yea. that may be too much unbalanced weight. Have you tried taking the tom off (temporarily) just so see if that's the cause of the problem? If so, you may want to just get another, cheap, snare stand... I'd imagine you can find em on on eBay REAL cheap.

i am in the process of getting money for a multi clamp so i can mount it on my main crash stand because i want a virgin bass anyway.

I started playing again about 4 years ago. When I first started playing again my bass drums were not moving.

However, now they are walking away almost all the time I play rock, or jazz. I know that when I have my heel down I am not playing with as much force, but even when playing jazz I play with the heel up once in a while. I find I can play a lot longer using the heel up without getting tired.

I used to use coat hanger wires between the thrown and the bass drums to keep them from moving. I would hate to have to do this again, but without any other solution I have no other choice.

Back