Jack White

good one..

cough..it seems like he read the legendary Tom angle thread of this forum about his sister, so that he avoided the Toms themselves!

It looks to me like he does have toms, but they are all perfectly flat!

Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYWdRpM6Tp8&feature=related

It's like the complete opposite of meg's setup. Toms all flat and level with the snare and cymbals really low, especially the hi-hats. But I dig his playing. Looks like giant beat or 2002 cymbals possibly?

He has a few toms actually just low, he's using 2002s, 24" crash 24" ride and 2x 16" crashes as hats.

Can we be a little more realistic with the superlatives? The drumming is fine, but not great. He's got a decent feel but I've heard lots of drummers with better feels than that (and in that style).

Can we be a little more realistic with the superlatives? The drumming is fine, but not great. He's got a decent feel but I've heard lots of drummers with better feels than that (and in that style).

Agreed, his guitar playing is more interesting to me.

On a side note, anyone ever see, "It Might Get Loud"? A documentary about Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White, it's pretty good. Apparently White played drums before he played guitar. He used to have two kits setup in his room and would sleep on a roll out mat to make space for all of his music equipment.

Although when you watch the film (are they still called films) you really get to see his point of view regarding the music he makes. Honestly, I don't think there's any amount of money you could pay him to try to become a (insert your favorite drummer).

I think it was time to start a thread on Jack White, Meg's brother.

Jack has been playing the drums for the band The Dead Weather, some type of rock alternative. His drumming skills are growing up while fitting perfect for TDW songs with a Bonham's slightly touch. By the way, He is a John Bonham follower like most of us.

Comments? input?.........I'm waiting on you Polly......1 - 2 - 3 - 4.....bang! boom!

Thanks,

Attachments

• dw-jack-drums-horizontal.jpg
    dw-jack-drums-horizontal.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 5,953
  • deadweather.jpg
    deadweather.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,122
  • Jack White.jpg
    Jack White.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 6,444
Jack isn't Meg's brother, they've been married. (Or my information is wrong.)

I didn't know Jack played the drums as well. Cool! I wonder what Meg's up to lately..

I'm not sure his ability behind a kit compare to his ability with a guitar (considering he's one of the the greats). Though he's been playing drums since childhood. His reason for taking up drums at a young age was that "everyone could play guitar." Also, Lex is right, he and Meg are not related, they were married.

I would guess that Meg is somewhere perfecting her basic rock beat for the White Stripes reunion.

hes got an odd kit and unorthadox style, but it works for him.

i am pretty sure that there is already a JW thread since ive read it before :p

Years ago, Jack used to play in the band Goober and the Peas around Detroit.

Dean Fertita from Dead Weather is from the Detroit area also, and played in a few bands I knew.
He was also in the band Reindance with some of my friends back around "89-'90-ish. That band was on the first Real World on MTV because the singer Andre was a cast member (he said the show was soooo fake, and never participated in anything other than "the show"). It doesn't show on any wiki-type thing though.

Dean also plays in QOTSA, and sometimes in Eagles of Death Metal, but he didn't play with Eagles when my band did a show with them (but Joey Castillo was the drummer, and a very cool guy).

I like Jack's drumming style in DW, & I like the set up he's got.
A 16" snare might be a little something to get used to though haha!

Thanks, Karl. This is an awesome feedback, I have the feeling that Jack, can become an outstanding drummer in nowadays, why not?

Years ago, Jack used to play in the band Goober and the Peas around Detroit.

Dean Fertita from Dead Weather is from the Detroit area also, and played in a few bands I knew.
He was also in the band Reindance with some of my friends back around "89-'90-ish. That band was on the first Real World on MTV because the singer Andre was a cast member (he said the show was soooo fake, and never participated in anything other than "the show"). It doesn't show on any wiki-type thing though.

Dean also plays in QOTSA, and sometimes in Eagles of Death Metal, but he didn't play with Eagles when my band did a show with them (but Joey Castillo was the drummer, and a very cool guy).

I like Jack's drumming style in DW, & I like the set up he's got.
A 16" snare might be a little something to get used to though haha!

From that thread...
Looks horrible to me. He has to lean forward all the time, and has very limited range of motion for his arms, especially when playing cross handed. Someone should tell him what happened to Phil Collins because of bad posture.

Something that Jack mentions in the White Stripes' "Under Great White Northern Lights" is how when he plays his guitar, he is constantly fighting with it. His guitar will go out of tune very quickly, even multiple times within a song, so he has to re-tune and battle with that as he plays. Also, if he has to go from a keyboard to the piano he'll purposely put it farther than is comfortable for him to jump from one instrument to the next, to make himself push for it.

I wouldn't doubt that he maintains that same mentality while playing drums as well, making himself reach for things.

Back