Mike Portney/Dream Theater songs?

Re: Mike Portney/Dream Theater

That's funny, I've met Mike twice, and both times he was very pleasant.

Lucky dude. Mike is usually touring and I am usually deployed just long enough to miss any shows near me. I swear I nealy booked a flight to Puerto Rico to see a clinic and Germany to see DT.

Mike's autographed picture hangs in my drumroom. I greatly enjoy all of his work and side projects-which I have on my creative zen. The only thing that bums me out is that I hosed the encoding for score and live at budokan. I had to delete those files because the sound was so out of synch. (over compression)

I have all of Mikes cd's and dvd's as well. Right now, I am watching "Amazing Journey" with his take on Keith Moon.

I am envious of his amazing drum kit collection, tama seems to have made him a copy of every iconic kit known since Ringos.

BTW: I hope his new kit is bubinga...!

Scenes from a Memory. In my opinion, their best album that I've heard.

I have to say that I believe the singer isn't that great.
He doesn't really seem to fit in.

Can't agree nor can I even assimilate that statement.

What or who should the singer sound like to fit in?

I disagree, James is the voice of DT.

Just because the current trend is low and growling.

realize how long this band has been in existence.. Think about the vocalists that were happening then, Dio, Dickinson,Halford, etc..

James has an amazing range and voice. I realize he may not be your cup of tea but I am going to go out on a limb ans guess that the rest of the band like him.

I will also say this for him. I got a small glimpse into who he is as a person a few years ago.

I was early to a DT show in San Diego, I was walking past the load in door and there was this roadie trying to lift a case of this 6" dia power cable. Up walks James, he grabs the other side and lifts it with him. I thought how cool is that, he is the lead singer of a national act with a cult following and he helps the roadies. I gained a whole new respect for him that day.

When I saw him back stage I talked to him about it. He told me he was a roadie himself and has great respect for the job.

MP and the rest of the DT guys are classy. I met them in Atlanta a few years ago. Mike and I chatted about metal music mostly and a few things about drums here and there in the brief time.

I disagree, James is the voice of DT.

Just because the current trend is low and growling.

realize how long this band has been in existence.. Think about the vocalists that were happening then, Dio, Dickinson,Halford, etc..

James has an amazing range and voice. I realize he may not be your cup of tea but I am going to go out on a limb ans guess that the rest of the band like him.

I will also say this for him. I got a small glimpse into who he is as a person a few years ago.

I was early to a DT show in San Diego, I was walking past the load in door and there was this roadie trying to lift a case of this 6" dia power cable. Up walks James, he grabs the other side and lifts it with him. I thought how cool is that, he is the lead singer of a national act with a cult following and he helps the roadies. I gained a whole new respect for him that day.

When I saw him back stage I talked to him about it. He told me he was a roadie himself and has great respect for the job.

I bet he is a respectful person, im just saying that I don't like his voice on the "Live in Budokan" videos.

Better than he does now.
And He doesn't look like he fits in.

Makes no sense. It's not only subjective, but DT is obviously not your music. He sings and looks like he fits in. He doesn't need to sound or look like like a death metaller. DT are consummate musicians with prodigious talent. They carefully chose members that fit thier image, philosophy, sound and abilities.

As was suggested, to replace him with one of the latest growl-and-puke types would serve no good purpose.

They know what they are doing, and maybe that's why they have been around over 20 years and continue to grow in success and popularity.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion there's two major songs that "sum up" Dream Theater or better, Mikes playing:
-Metropolis pt1 (album: Images and Words)
-Raise the knife (album: Score)

One of my DT favs is "Lines in the Sand" (album: falling into infinity)
That song has both technical and musical playing, must hear.

Luck.

Back