RIP Dennis St John

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Dennis St John passed away this morning from complications due to esophageal cancer. Dennis was a dear friend, and also a mentor when I first started playing with bands in the early seventies.

His name may not be instantly recognizable, but during the height of his career in the sixties and seventies, Dennis toured and recorded with several top artists, drumming on sixteen top-10 records and over fifty Gold and Platinum albums. If you’ve ever heard "Let Your Love Flow" or "Spooky" or "Spiders & Snakes" or Linda Ronstadt’s "Desperado" or Neil Diamond’s "Forever In Blue Jeans" or "America", then you’ve heard just a small sampling of the hundreds of recordings featuring his playing.

Dennis crossed paths with an impressive number of artists such as James Brown, Kenny Rogers, Barbra Streisand, Roy Orbison, Ronnie Milsap, Sammy Davis Jr., Liberace, Little Richard, Rufus Thomas, Tommy Roe, The Standells, Otis Redding, and Paul Revere and the Raiders. But he’s best known as Neil Diamond’s drummer and musical director from 1971-81.

He described the most memorable event of his career as the 10 days of recording Hot August Night in 1972 (at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles) saying "it was by far the most energetic, creative, and satisfying gig I’ve ever played."

A few years ago, Dennis very graciously gave me the kit he used in Neil Diamond’s The Jazz Singer and on the soundtrack recording including "America", "Love On The Rocks" and "Hello Again".

cutaway2.jpg
cutaways-sm.jpg

I will cherish it always.

Rest In Peace Dennis.

dsj4.jpg

Last edited:
Rest in peace indeed.

What an incredible kit. Gotta love those Hal Blain-esque studio setups!

RIP Dennis St John.
Very familiar with Dennis' playing, and I've enjoyed it very much.

Sad to hear this news, & sorry for the loss of your friend Jon.
Prayers to his family.

Sad, but thanks Bermuda for the heads up.

It's a bit disheartening that such drummers as Dennis St. John fly under the radar to most music lovers but were so important to the some of the greatest music ever performed. Neil Diamond's Jazz Singer album and hit singles from it were huge in the early 1980s. The song "America" is played probably hundreds of times every July 4th during fireworks displays. I didn't realize Dennis played on many of those other hits, but that is what was/is great about liner notes on LPs - it was easy to identify the musicians behind the music. I think there was someone here on DW forum whom revealed a few weeks ago that his cousins were the Bellamy Brothers. The fact that Dennis played on "Let Your Love Flow" is interesting. Great song. Small world.

Anyway, RIP Dennis. Here's more info regarding albums associated w/him http://www.allmusic.com/artist/dennis-st-john-mn0000601397

p.s. All I know of the Standells is the "Dirty Water" class garage tune. But to also be associated with them is awesome...

Last edited:
Yes, RIP Dennis. I was unknowingly a fan of his just by hearing all the songs he's played on. Thanks Bermuda for posting.

Personal note to Bermuda: you should use that entire Slingerland kit in his honor on the 23rd ;)

The band can push out on to the dance floor ;)

Yes, RIP Dennis. I was unknowingly a fan of his just by hearing all the songs he's played on. Thanks Bermuda for posting.

Personal note to Bermuda: you should use that entire Slingerland kit in his honor on the 23rd ;)

The band can push out on to the dance floor ;)

Me too, that's a good part if my formative musical listening there. It never ceases to amaze me how many seminal drum tracks are played by people that I don't hear about until they pass.

Nice tribute to your friend,and recognition of his career.

Thank you for posting.

My condolences to friends and family.

Sorry to hear that Bermuda. I remember "discovering" Dennis in a Zildjian catalog (the little black book they put out in '79 or '80 that contained photos and bios of Zildjian artists along with their setups).

My condolences go out to friends and family

You have my sympathy. I lost 2 freinds last summer who were also fellow musicians so I know how it feels.
I love all of those songs you mention; to me he would be the true classifcation of working drummer. Great pictures; thanks.

So sorry to hear of your friends passing Bermuda. A vrey talented player and I bet a great person as well. RIP Dennis

Terrible disease. Sorry for the loss. He sounds like a very generous person who left this world a better place.

GJS

As a kid in the early '70s I air drummed to all the usual suspects but also, strangely enough, to several tracks off Hot August Night, especially Holly Holy. RIP.

I knew Dennis. He used to come to the bar I worked at for many years when he came to visit his mother. My husband always referred to him as the guy with the pony tail. He was a true gentleman and always took time to talk to me even though I was just a bartender there. I often introduced him to people, but they always seemed to fail to understand what impact he had in the music business. I have not worked for around 4 years and was so sad to hear that he had lost his battle with cancer. He always took such good care of his mother and felt bad if he didn't feel she was being taken care of correctly. Everyone was so happy to see him when he visited. There just aren't enough words to do this man justice. Thank you for posting and thank you for the pictures.

Sorry to hear, Jon. I'm familiar with 99% of those tracks you mentioned, and I did recognize his name. Cancer is horrific. My uncle battled cancer for a long time but unfortunately passed last Thursday. Lots of dear people leaving us.

Dan

My condolences to you Bermuda, along with his friends and family. I had never heard of him, but, like most people, have heard his drumming on several songs. Those were some classics and I still love to hear them.

May he Rest in Peace.

Sorry to hear of the music world's loss and your loss Bermuda. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Dennis St John passed away this morning from complications due to esophageal cancer. Dennis was a dear friend, and also a mentor when I first started playing with bands in the early seventies.

His name may not be instantly recognizable, but during the height of his career in the sixties and seventies, Dennis toured and recorded with several top artists, drumming on sixteen top-10 records and over fifty Gold and Platinum albums. If you’ve ever heard "Let Your Love Flow" or "Spooky" or "Spiders & Snakes" or Linda Ronstadt’s "Desperado" or Neil Diamond’s "Forever In Blue Jeans" or "America", then you’ve heard just a small sampling of the hundreds of recordings featuring his playing.

Dennis crossed paths with an impressive number of artists such as James Brown, Kenny Rogers, Barbra Streisand, Roy Orbison, Ronnie Milsap, Sammy Davis Jr., Liberace, Little Richard, Rufus Thomas, Tommy Roe, The Standells, Otis Redding, and Paul Revere and the Raiders. But he’s best known as Neil Diamond’s drummer and musical director from 1971-81.

He described the most memorable event of his career as the 10 days of recording Hot August Night in 1972 (at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles) saying "it was by far the most energetic, creative, and satisfying gig I’ve ever played."

A few years ago, Dennis very graciously gave me the kit he used in Neil Diamond’s The Jazz Singer and on the soundtrack recording including "America", "Love On The Rocks" and "Hello Again".

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and to the drumming community in general.

Dennis's name is very familiar to me. Wow, that's too bad indeed and a great loss.

Back