PDP Cx Should I ??

Symyn240

I found a used PDP CX shell pack for a great, like really great price and was hoping for some impute on getting it or not.
I would be using it for my gig kit while on tour with my brother, and have heard really great things about them, just wanted to ease my mind a bit.

Currently I play a Tama Rockstar Pro.... I know, i know, but I like it, so shut your mouths about it they sound great hahahahah :)

They're good kits. Check for good bearing edges. Newer style STM mounts, shell roundness. Overall condition, like you would on any used kit.

They sound like maple drums do or should so I have no complaints. Does it come with the 16" floor tom. I was not a big fan of the 14 that came with but if you're getting a really good deal they will serve you well.

14" floor tom, so do i take them apart there to check the edges and roundness? how do I do that while at the guys house?

Take the top head off. That head gets hit obviously and you'll know if they were taken care of. You didn't mention price so it's tough to say if it's a deal or not. How do they look, sound, etc.

235$ is what i have talked him down to, he lives 2 hrs away so i havnt heard them, but they are from 07, and look in good shape from the pics. Guy seems really cool, i am just not 100% sure. But i cant think of passing up a maple kit for 235$

Although I'm a Gretsch endorser now before I had any endorsements my equipment budget was non existent. lol That being said I was looking for a kit that looked decent, sounded good but at the same time would not cost loads of money. At this time I was only 13 or 14 at the most.

I picked up a CX series from a local drum shop and loved it. I started off with basic 5 piece and later added an 8" and 16" tom.

We traveled all over the country with this kit and it looked GREAT and SOUNDED great. As a matter of fact that same PDP kit stays set up at my rehearsal site and is still used multiple times every week.

If you can land a CX series kit in good shape for 235.00 GRAB IT!

Again, as mentioned earlier, pull the top heads off check the edges and the overal condition.

Good Luck and let us know how you do.

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah

Although my main gigging kit is a Mapex ProM, my main kit for the previous 6 years was a Pacific CX and I still rehearse with it. They're amazing for the money- completely pro sound. Grab 'em.

I don't think you can get them anymore. You'd have to look on ebay or craigslist.

Can u still get new CX add on shells from pdp or so you have to look used??

It also depends on what finish you're getting. Which wrap does the kit you are looking at have?

Not sure what its called, like Onyx or something looks like wrinkled paper thats shinny and blue/black ish hahah not really a great description, but they sure do look amazing!

What heads would you all recommend for these, I have the new Evens EC2 Coated on my Tamas and LOVE THEM! But am not sure if i should go the same rout with these And i am not sure what to use on the Bass. Let me know!

Just picked them up!!! Wooohoo!!! The are in fantastic shape, hardware is awesome, the shells are nice and round with good edges. Just need to know what heads normally sound good on these. Ill probably get the EC2's again like the ones on my TAMAs but i am open to opinions

He gave me a Wuhan Riveted China, and an acrylic snare along with the matching snare, all for 235$ what a killer deal! ill post up picks asap!

Fronthead.jpg

This is the front Bass head after some work, he had some really awful stickers that i couldn't get off, so i just used them in my doodle design instead, used a Sharpie, and i think it looks great!

Just picked them up!!! Wooohoo!!! The are in fantastic shape, hardware is awesome, the shells are nice and round with good edges. Just need to know what heads normally sound good on these. Ill probably get the EC2's again like the ones on my TAMAs but i am open to opinions

He gave me a Wuhan Riveted China, and an acrylic snare along with the matching snare, all for 235$ what a killer deal! ill post up picks asap!

I was not a fan of EC2's on my CXR's. Coated 1ply over clear 1 ply worked best for me.

I think today i will pull the head of my 12" Tama and try it on the 12" PDP, see if i even like it. Kinda wish the toms were the same size so i could try all of them, but i am sure i will enjoy the difference as i began playing them more. They just seem soooo small!!! hahah

Is it a good general rule to use single ply on drums as small as a 10"?

I think today i will pull the head of my 12" Tama and try it on the 12" PDP, see if i even like it. Kinda wish the toms were the same size so i could try all of them, but i am sure i will enjoy the difference as i began playing them more. They just seem soooo small!!! hahah

Is it a good general rule to use single ply on drums as small as a 10"?

I use single ply on everything. But, If you mean use 1 ply because a 2 ply may choke on that small of a drum, its something to consider but I think a 10" would be fine with 2ply. 8" may or may not be an issue. Depends

I just tried the EC2 on the 12" and was as impressed with the difference from what was on there as i was when i first put them on my TAMA's

I guess i will just give them a try, if I don't like them... Lesson learned and time to save for some different ones, but I am sure it will sound better then what is currently on there :)

I am getting a good sound with the 12 and 14, but I am really hoping that a new head will get some major improvements with the 10. It seems very choked out currently, and I am not impressed with it at all. So fingers crossed!

Cheers!

Back