Any Wierd Drum Habits???

SharkyBait911

I was wondering, Is it just me or do you do some weird things around drums or whenever you go to practise?? I sometimes talk to myself and I know people say it's the first sign of madness but when i start talking to my drums that's just plain weird.?!?! or when i have to have the REMO's showing all at the bottom of my e-rings?!?!

So i wondered if anyone else had some weird drum habits ??

Tris

Pretty much after every song I play live, I rotate my ride cymbal so that the logo is at the bottom. its unneccessary but I find myself doing it before realising it.

btw, I talk to my dogs, so I'm mad too :)

Whenever I get a cool groove going and all my limbs are doing something different I usually let out a a F-Bomb or too in excitment.....Nicko McBrian does this as well.

All drum heads are installed with the logo at the twelve o'clock position.

When setting up, the ride cymbal is always placed on its stand before any other cymbal.

Dude, I appreciate your enthusiasm for starting threads, but there is already at least one thread on this subject.

Please use the Search function before posting :)

Holy mother of God! You talk to your drums?!!! Haha, no problem man, I do that too. I think drums are like plants, you know? You have to talk to them in order to keep the alive o make them feel good. And about talking to your self, well I think the internal communication is very important, you can cheer up your self with that kind of internal dialogue. It's weird I know, but it works for me! I hope it works for you my friend!

Dr. T.

I make sort of a grunting noise when I push into an aggressive groove or fill.....not unlike Bruce Lee.

Sometimes, my grip becomes so loose that I hit a backbeat and the stick just falls out of my hand.

I tend to sniffle a lot while playing drums, more than usual.

I tend to have a real loose grip on my sticks, so when things get more intense, I've literally had sticks fly across the room.
Course, if there's no other sticks around, I'll just keep playing... hand percussion with one hand, stick with the other. :)

Three hours before I play I eat exactly two thirds of a tuna salad sandwich, on white bread, and when I get to the club I rub peanut butter on my feet while singing the theme song from Green Acres at the top of my voice.
Right before I get on the stand I put a raw New York strip steak down the front of my pants, where it stays for the rest of the night, and I have to sit on a 1973 Detroit telephone book.
While drumming I chew on Silly Putty. This helps me concentrate. Between sets I wash my face with buttermilk and suck strands of pasta up my nostrils.
Before the last set I always, always, pour turkey gravy over my head. This helps me concentrate.
When the gig is over I steal all the ash trays in the club, take off my clothes and get in the ice dispenser. This helps me relax.
Then I get dressed again and put the steak back in my pants.
When I get home I remove the steak from my pants, cook it and place it on the driver's seat of my wife's car, then I pack potted meat between my buttocks and unload my drums.

Last edited:
Jay - are you one of those guys who's hungry all the time?

Dont know about him, but I am.

For tuna a salad sandwich on white bread,
peanut butter,
New York strip steak,
buttermilk,
strands of pasta,
turkey gravy,
potted meat

Three hours before I play I eat exactly two thirds of a tuna salad sandwich, on white bread, and when I get to the club I rub peanut butter on my feet while singing the theme song from Green Acres at the top of my voice.
Right before I get on the stand I put a raw New York strip steak down the front of my pants, where it stays for the rest of the night, and I have to sit on a 1973 Detroit telephone book.
While drumming I chew on Silly Putty. This helps me concentrate. Between sets I wash my face with buttermilk and suck strands of pasta up my nostrils.
Before the last set I always, always, pour turkey gravy over my head. This helps me concentrate.
When the gig is over I steal all the ash trays in the club, take off my clothes and get in the ice dispenser. This helps me relax.
Then I get dressed again and put the steak back in my pants.
When I get home I remove the steak from my pants, cook it and place it on the driver's seat of my wife's car, then I pack potted meat between my buttocks and unload my drums.
Jay....he said weird habits......not a typical drummers routine on gig night...

ha I always make all my cymbal logos point towards me when I sit down and play. and I start all double bass patterns with my left foot even though I am on a right handed kit, and yes I am left handed so hence the reason?

I stare at my bassist's fingers a lot, as he's pluckin' the strings.

Is that weird?

Right before I get on the stand I put a raw New York strip steak down the front of my pants, where it stays for the rest of the night, .........Then I get dressed again and put the steak back in my pants........
When I get home I remove the steak from my pants, cook it ......

Remind me never to come over for a BBQ, Jay.

Back