DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Re: what does it mean if...

NaturalRaz said:
Haha...I was gonna put that in my post too...but I figured it would be common sense. But, your right...and some people might not know that.

I would sit with my legs paralell but I'm short and everything gets hard to reach if I don't sit alittle higher :)

Fourstring you dint seem that short in your video.... you seemed about 5 foot6 or so. i am 5 foot 6.

Slayer_metal_head said:
Fourstring you dint seem that short in your video.... you seemed about 5 foot6 or so. i am 5 foot 6.

I'm only like 5' 3 1/2" , 5' 4" tops

Re: Ankle-twitching?

I ankle twitch when im doing blast beats that involve a ripping double bass (only a fast consistent one) ones that need controlled extremely fast short burst i use heel up.

Beginner double bass flam question

Im having some trouble with the "slide" technique, with my right foot. Ive been practicing it all night, and not only am I having trouble finding places in fills for it, but its really inconsistent. Ive tried different techniques, for instance, the drummer in my band. when HE does it, he sorta slides his right foot sideways sort of, and ive seen other people just slide straight ahead. But I cant really slide straight ahead, cuz I have a DW 7000 double pedal and I keep hitting my chain from time to time. I know this seems like a dumb question, but if anyone has any tips for me for practicing this technique and the proper way to do it, Id really appreciate it.

Re: Beginner double bass flam question

Well i dont know about your slide but what i do for flasm (LMAO flasm i meant flam) is i put my right foot closer to the chain and my left foot at the back of hte pedal (where the chain isnt) and i puch down at the same time since my right foot is at the chain it goes down faster then my left.

Re: Beginner double bass flam question

Slayer_metal_head said:
Well i dont know about your slide but what i do for flasm is i put my right foot closer to the chain and my left foot at the back of hte pedal (where the chain isnt) and i puch down at the same time since my right foot is at the chain it goes down faster then my left.

Maybe I misused the term flam. Im trying to get that whole fast RRL technique down, where you come down once with your right foot and then slide up to get the 2nd hit and then come down with your left for the third. Ive seen it done so many different ways, and have tried them all, and since im just starting drums, I dont want to develop any bad habits early on.

Re: Ankle-twitching?

I suggest the regular way becuase you have some drummers who play with high tension pedals and the resistance is so high you can't twitch. But still continue to practice both ways.

Re: why is this?

I can't explain the physical reasons behind it, but it's because your leg may not be as strong or have as much endurance as the other, so you're using other muscles in your body to sort of help it along. What you should do is practice working on that foot seperately until it's equal with the right foot.

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

Does anyone else here like to have their pedals pretty loose? Like it doesn't take much to push them down? I found that with trying out all the tensions, that the loose is best for me. I hate hate hate when you actually have to use some effort to push down on it. Maybe it's just me, but I move faster when it feels like I'm not pushing on anything.

I keep the spring on my pedals as loose as possible. Tight tension just doesn't work for me. Bozzio and Mangini both play with very loose spring tension.

I've been playing double bass for around two years now and I've gotten really fast. I mean as fast as my hands. All I did was play everything I play with my hands to build speed with my feet. I play rudiments and marching exercises with my feet. I also recomend playing with metal albums. That'll build your chops up pretty quickly. I played with a lot of Lamb of God. Chris Adler makes some pretty complicated parts and it gets pretty intricate with hands too. Also, make sure you play 'heel up' style and raise your stool enough to release the tension in your legs. Make sure your legs are not abouv your waist line if they're resting on your pedals. That'll give you some speed pretty quickly. All in all, approach your feet as you'd approach your hands.

Hi.

Something I was taught a few years back by a guy who I really respected as a solid drummer was the following: When you first get a dbl kick (and for the sake of this reply I'll assume we are dealing with a right handed player) practice single kick patterns with your left foot. So, if you like to play along with something pretty easy (at first) do all the work that you would normally reserve your right foot with your left. It sounds stupid, I know, but what it does is help you to have a left foot capable of doing more than just mirroring 16th notes or hi-hat work. Your foot has to be taught, just like the other one and by playing single bass parts with your new foot on double kick, you'll help build more than just a little dexterity. If you are right handed, you'll have to find a setting for your hi-hat that you can deal with (as you won't be able to use your right foot to cross over the left to control it) but it is not as easy as it sounds if you've never done it. I also believe firmly that playing slowly is every bit as hard as playing really fast. I am in no way knocking speed, but if you take a really fast fill and slow it way down, you'll find that your set becomes a very good truth detector in that any mistakes you make will be easily observed.

I hope this helps. There are some other great suggestions here but I thought I would give me 02.

Keep Stickin

Best,
Isaacs

Isaacs said:
Hi.

Something I was taught a few years back by a guy who I really respected as a solid drummer was the following: When you first get a dbl kick (and for the sake of this reply I'll assume we are dealing with a right handed player) practice single kick patterns with your left foot. So, if you like to play along with something pretty easy (at first) do all the work that you would normally reserve your right foot with your left. It sounds stupid, I know, but what it does is help you to have a left foot capable of doing more than just mirroring 16th notes or hi-hat work. Your foot has to be taught, just like the other one and by playing single bass parts with your new foot on double kick, you'll help build more than just a little dexterity. If you are right handed, you'll have to find a setting for your hi-hat that you can deal with (as you won't be able to use your right foot to cross over the left to control it) but it is not as easy as it sounds if you've never done it. I also believe firmly that playing slowly is every bit as hard as playing really fast. I am in no way knocking speed, but if you take a really fast fill and slow it way down, you'll find that your set becomes a very good truth detector in that any mistakes you make will be easily observed.

I hope this helps. There are some other great suggestions here but I thought I would give me 02.

Keep Stickin

Best,
Isaacs

I completely agree. I have done this before and it helps immensely. Good one Isaacs.

hi, i know uve had a lot of posts about this BUT i have a different kind of problem

i have 2 bass drums yeh? im trying to double pedal but my right leg stops responding whenever i go to play the hats.snare.ride whatever, i broke it last year and didnt have psyhio..

im trying to get back on track, im relaxing, im going speeds i can work with but things just get out of hand.. worst thing is is that this grindcore band want me and i dont think im upto it. playing heel down hurts like hell for me and i cant manage to keep lifting my legs up and down fast on the pedals because is hurts my right leg so much. ive been advised from other drummers to play heel up, which i do and that calf muscles push my foot up and down and i dont understand, tips and advice would be great, thanks.

ive tried ankletwitching but this causes me pain , for some reason, feedback is MOST appreciated, i do NOT want an injury to take my drumming career

Loonster

If your leg hurts that much then despite how much you wanna be in that band I'd say wait until it doesn't hurt to play. If its just regular pain from being tired then you just need practice. Also, heel up is best. Just watch Chris Adler, great metal drummer, he doesn't ankle twitch.

ok i am trying to make sense of all the people who say they have really loose tension on their double pedals. If its too loose your foot is going to drop to the floor. I dont see how that can make you faster. Your actually putting in a lot more work on some of the easiest things to do. It may be a good way to practice on but i disagree with this idea when it comes to playing.

Back