The legendary Steve Gadd

He's probably my favorite drummer right now. He just knows how to groove. Nevermind the technical stuff, great creative fills, subtleties everywhere, all that doesn't matter that much because you look at Gadd and say THAT is a drummer who just loves drumming. That is a drummer who is sitting there pouring his heart into a groove and is just perfectl in sync with his groove and knows exactly where he's going with it. You look at him and say...THAT is a drummer.

Re: Steve Gadd

Hello,

My favorite drummer is Steve Gadd.
He is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the world.
What do you think about Steve Gadd?

Regards,

Jarek

Dont know Dr. Gadd personally, but have met him at clinics and PAS and all I can say is he is a very humble and respectable man. I never seen a drop of arrogance come from Mr. Gadd. and the man can groove.

Re: Steve Gadd

A few people here have had the honor to meet him. I wish I had. From the posts I have read, he is one hero that is approachable.

Considering his kit really hasn't changed significantly in 20 years from the sam basic Yamaha configuration, it's amazing the things he comes up with. He is 100% a musicians and a vocalists drummer. And a drummers drummer.

He is responsible for some powerful and influential, nay iconic or legendary drum parts on countless recordings.

Some people don't "get" Gadd. But he is not just a groover, it's as if every note that he plays is not only vital to the music, but never excessive. He is able to apply his cornucopia of styles and versatility in a way that makes you tap your feet and really feel the music.

I doubt there are many drummers before or now that are as universally respected as Steve Gadd.

Re: Michel Petrucciani and Steve Gadd

Michel Petrucciani and Steve Gadd What do you think about Michel Petrucciani concerts with Steve Gadd on drums in 1997 and 1998?

Yes nice work together, Michael from what Ive seen was a great pianist with great potential to be a worlds great artist. Unfortunatly he died young. Gadd did a really nice brush solo at one of his concerts.

Gadd fans MUST have the following dvd:

"Paul Simon, live at the tower theater oct 7, 1980"

I can't call it "Gadd at his prime" because he is always prime.

But this dvd is a spectacular showcase for Gadd's classic grooves and just terrific music.

Gadd just makes the music!

He is playing his yamaha kit with evans blue hydraulics.

I second that. If you don't own that DVD, sort it out!! It's an all-round great concert.

Just received another one...couldn't resist to put it up....

Bernhard

Attachments

• steve.jpg
    steve.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,404
Last edited:
Bernhard said:

Bernhard

If Steve ever feels down for some reason, all he need do is visit this thread!

Me either,
Dont the twins look handsome? hehe....no seriously you guys do look good together...and you both kick the kit....NICE!

wow, you look really happy there bernhard. and no wonder. i remember first time i went on this site and randomly watched a clip was steve gadds lucky 13 clip. it was my first indication that, as good as he is, maybe tre cool isn't the best in the world. i have never looked back, and that clip is still the fave.

Jarek Witkowski said:
Hello,

I think, that Steve Gadd is definitely one of the greatest drummers in the world.

Yes...thanks for the information

Bernhard

I can not think of another percussionist today who has inspired more drummers than Steve Gadd.
His level of innovation, sheer technical mastery of the instrument, and dedication to the groove in every style of music he plays has delighted and instructed countless drummers in how good drumming can be.
I am grateful for every paradiddle, single, and double stroke the man has ever played.
I recommend Legends DVD "Live At Montreux 1997".
The line up is:

Eric Clapton - guitar
Joe Sample - keyboards
David Sanborn - alto saxophone
Marcus Miller - bass
Steve Gadd - drums

I have two favorites.

Late in the Evening - Four sticks. Come on. That's hot.
Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover - We know that groove. We copied it. We sucked at it.

Yes, all of the Steely Dan stuff. There was a live thing I saw on tv with Eric Clapton that was pretty impressive.

NUTHA JASON said:
that's a better post than any you've made so far Jared. its in the right place and has a bit of information and motivation. what are your top five gadd songs?

j

Hello Nutha,

My top five Steve Gadd tunes:

> "Winelight" - Grover Washington Jr. CD "Winelight", 1980.
> "Round Midnight" - Manhattan Jazz Quintet CD "Live At Pit Inn", 1986.
> "More Than Friends" - Bob James & David Sanborn CD "Double Vision", 1986.
> "Mas Que Nada" - Al Jarreau CD "Tenderness", 1994.
> "Take The A Train" - Michel Petrucciani CD "Trio In Tokyo", 1999.

Jarek

On the Performance Channel (English Cable channel) a couple of nights ago I came across one of those stomach-turning classical/pop hybrid concerts, called 'Pavarotti Does Pop' or something similarly awful. And yes, it featured Pavarotti singing popular hits, along with a whole host of European stars we've never heard of, plus Annie Lennox. And guess who I spied on drums?

Womble said:
On the Performance Channel (English Cable channel) a couple of nights ago I came across one of those stomach-turning classical/pop hybrid concerts, called 'Pavarotti Does Pop' or something similarly awful. And yes, it featured Pavarotti singing popular hits, along with a whole host of European stars we've never heard of, plus Annie Lennox. And guess who I spied on drums?

Bernhard?

Bash Ringo not, shall you...

Back