Band name change!

C

Christ-Hammer

So my band has decided that the name Blind Identities just doesn't sound good and we are changing it. I was curious to know how everyone here feels about the name......................................... *drum roll*................................................................
A Good ol' Spankin
I think it would be humorous, great for marketing and also represent our sense of humor and personality. Tell me what you guys think, I want honest answers don't try to be nice, but don't leave stupid posts!!!!!!

CH, with that name, there could be a lot of leather (maybe the odd whip) amongst your audiences :)

It depends on the style you play. My guess is that the music would need a humorous element for it to work. Good name if there is.

It reminds me of the "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" movie where Michael Palin is in the castle full of young women...all alone.... They all want to be spanked! LOL

You gotta be a Python fan to appreciate that name. Your new name conjures up all sorts of ideas. LOL Great name.

So kind of half and half = / need more replies please...

I think it's ridiculous, if you don't take yourselves serious, take the name. If you do take yourselves serious, make up a name that doesn't make a fool of you.

This is where it gets tricky..... What is a serious name today? We do a lot of metal and being around the scene for a while I started to realize that people come up with some ridiculous names and I don't mean in the funny sense. Its like they are trying to be brutal sounding with their name even if they have nothing to do with the name. I have also seen a lot of names with the words as, the, of, blood, black, fall.... Really are these people all serious about names like As Grace Falls, Welcome the Fall, I Declare War..... Do I need to name more? Also look at Strapping Young Lad, what a weird name so........ how did they get big again?

Just a little background insight of where I'm viewing this name from. I am not backing the name up by any means with this post I am just trying to clarify what a couple of you consider to be "serious" because I am seeing a lot of good names that you would consider to be serious crumble and a lot of strange names getting big in the marketing area.

Also look at Strapping Young Lad, what a weird name so........ how did they get big again?

Because Devin Townsend i completely insane (in all the right ways) and can pull that name off.

Personally not a fan of the new name at all, it brings visions of a hillbilly band consisting of three banjo players and a guy blowing into a jug.

That being said, a name won't make or break a band. That's where the music, live shows, promotion and work ethic of the band comes in.

it brings visions of a hillbilly band consisting of three banjo players and a guy blowing into a jug.

/QUOTE]

HA HA HA I actually laughed out loud at that visual here at work and everyone is looking at me now. HAHAHAHA that made my morning man!

Pollyanna was heading towards "Monkey Spank" I think but who knows?

The Spankin' Fall? Black Spank? Spanking Blood? Death By Spanking??

Spanking blood? That's one i would avoid for sure...

I thought this was a country band based on the name "good ol spankin"... like "Good ol boys" or something... but if its a metal band I would reconsider the name.

LimpingToad, then we could remove the confusion with Metallic Spank or maybe Spanked With Metal (whoa!). Or of course, there's Fallen Black Blood Spanking, which could be a flag-bearer for in-vogue metal names.

The idea of a group of hillbilly boys called "A Good Ol' Spankin" who are into fiddling and blowing doesn't bear thinking about ... and I suspect TFit's take on Spankin Blood could be taken to be kind of heaaavy. I hadn't thought of the angles on that name before - honest!

;-)

I think it's ridiculous, if you don't take yourselves serious, take the name. If you do take yourselves serious, make up a name that doesn't make a fool of you.

I disagree with this. A name of a band will ultimately be defined by what the band is. I don't think names like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles or Led Zeppelin were chosen because the bands said "we have to take ourselves seriously." They obviously did take themselves seriously enough to be the mega bands they became but chose names that reflected their own creative urges and were a bit different or strange.

Having said that and knowing you don't want to use cliche words like "the", how about Buck the Slobbering Donkey?

Zep chose their name as a joke... someone (i forget who) had made the comment that their band was "Going to go down like a lead zeppelin"... and their name stuck. That's how it goes a lot of times it seems... I think a lot of people don't really sit around thinking up a name for ones that are really good, a lot of times they just sort of happen. That's what happened with my band "Animal Society"... the name came from my bassist and I having an argument about wether or not animals live in societies... the next day he came in and said... "i have the perfect name 'Animal Society'"

I personally don't care much for the name "Good ol Spankin", But that's just me. If you guys are set on the name then don't let anyone make you change it.

The thing is we don't care anymore about what our name is really and A Good ol' Spankin just sounds so funny and if someone came across a name like that wouldn't they be like "hmm maybe I should check that out" because you don't see names like that in the metal area too often. I just wanted to get your opinions here because I wanted to see the reaction and to my surprise all of your negative responses makes me want the name more hahahaha, I don't know why it's probably just a psychological thing who knows, but we may stick with the name depending on the next few responses...

Hey C-H, are all the guys in the band keen on the name? I wonder if the metal you guys play will scare all the hillbillies from the S&M scene you will attract?

hillbillyOveralls.jpg

;-)

Back