Would you buy...

For me if I'm dropping that kind of cash I have to be happy and excited about every aspect of the kit!! Sound, color, hardware etc.

There are a few finishes in the store, but the only one I'm considering is this one...funny you mentioning Sonor Bo :)

301769Z.jpg

I'm almost considering getting it and then a few years down the road take the wrap off and have it stained and shellacked.

So confused.
I love that kit... Is that a Delite?

If you're already considering refinishing it, then that's your brain telling you to hold off for the kit of your dreams.

Nice wrap, great sounding; what's stopping you from pulling the trigger?

Early Christmas gift for yourself!

GJS

No way, not on a brand new kit. If it's not what I want, pass. I'd rather spend an extra grand on a kit "that makes me totally happy".​

I was in a very similar position a few years ago. Great kit, great deal but not the colour I would have chosen. I went with it anyway and the colour really grew on me. I don't regret buying for a second. I say go for it if you like the kit and the sound.

I just looked at Sonor's top end finishes, and i hate to break it to you, that is not a wrap, it is a veneer, there is close to no way you will get that off, as it is part of the shell and then lacquered over. If it were me i would wait and get the kit I absolutely want.

Tbh there are worse colours than that...
It's actually pretty nice to me. Looks good.
The only thing i don't like about Sonor is (well tried some of the low end hardware) but that rubberthings that is supposed to NOT make the vibration from the floor drum go straight into the floor... THEY ARE CRAP.... just to mention....

I think it also depends on how long you are going to keep it. A lot of guys go through kits pretty fast. Me, I can't sell anything I buy. It must be some sort of hording thing. :) Plus your tastes might change over time so the kit you think is a perfect color now, might be the one you hate later, and visa-versa. I used to love Black kits when I was younger, but not so much anymore. I never thought I would buy all white, but here I am. :)

I don't see anything wrong with that wrap. Actually, I'd hesitate to spend so much on a wrapped kit. I like my nice kit to have a cool lacquer finish that I can see the wood thru. At any rate though, changing wraps is easy, and if you're getting a screamin deal on something you like except the wrap...

One more thing to consider: the veneer on that kit will last and last, as will a well-done wrap job on a well-kept kit. Lacquer finishes, attractive though they may be, don't age well. The effect of aging can be cool, like an antique coffee table, but mostly, it just makes a kit look run-down. The clear coat loses its luster eventually, the color fades to a lighter shade, and many paints will eventually form cracks and ripples, especially if the kit is near a window. After 10 years, it's just not the same kit.

I only bring this up because, if your dream kit might be a lacquer one, you should expect the finish to change (yes, even if it's kept at home). If you can find a wrap or veneer you absolutely love, then I say save up, because it will ALWAYS look that way (minus the odd battle scar here or there). If not, this kit might be a winner!

I know there must be some sonic character imparted by the wrap or veneer, but for me it's not worth fussing about. Either a drum sings to you or it doesn't, and I have (and have heard) plenty of wrapped drums that do, and plenty of lacquer drums that don't.

Back