John Bonham

I can also find instances where Simon Phillips clicks his sticks together by accident.

Or Gadd hitting a microphone. I think it all adds character. So much music today is sterile. It's nice sometimes to hear the 'human' come through.

and there were no clicks in those days which makes the music all the more interesting...damn disco! i read that ringo had such a good sense of tempo that not only did he keep time during recording but he could play take after take at the right tempo to such accuracy that later on they could splice the tapes together with no problems (basic the reason the click exsists today) but ringo was his own click!

x22 i think half a beat off is a bit harsh but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. i think we both agree that the song is sweet all the same.

j

Or Gadd hitting a microphone. I think it all adds character. So much music today is sterile. It's nice sometimes to hear the 'human' come through.

Absolutely.

I must say I'm becoming suspicious about just how many drummers are said to have precisely nailed the tempo of songs night after night or take after take. I've heard this about Carlos Vega, and I believe it, although that story was that the tempos would be 'virtually identical'. A band mate, who wouldn't know good drumming if it got up and gave him a haircut, recently told me that The Clash's drummer was known as a human metronome. I find this much harder to credit. And now Ringo...hmmm who knows?

Human metronome... I'd like to see that. I simply don't think it's possible, *especially* in a live situation. To acheive this, it would have to be an unwaivering pulse for an extended period of time. I think it's possible over a short period of time, and close over a long period of time, but not something I'd call a metronome.

Absolutely.

I must say I'm becoming suspicious about just how many drummers are said to have precisely nailed the tempo of songs night after night or take after take. I've heard this about Carlos Vega, and I believe it, although that story was that the tempos would be 'virtually identical'. A band mate, who wouldn't know good drumming if it got up and gave him a haircut, recently told me that The Clash's drummer was known as a human metronome. I find this much harder to credit. And now Ringo...hmmm who knows?

i vaguely remember reading about some dude who can turn his metronome on at a random tempo and then after a few seconds turn the volume off and sit there counting out fours for something ridiculous like an hour and then turn the volume up while still counting out the fours and be spot on. for some reason my memory is telling me he is chinese. do you know anything about this?

j

You know, I'd believe it if the person in question was an idiot savant. It would make perfect sense there. Human metronome but couldn't apply it to anything other than being a metronome.

I've googled "human metronome" to death and I couldn't find a documented human metronome. Lots of claims that "so-and-so was one" but nothing legit.

Finn once posted about a Korean guy at Drumtech whose record was going 64 seconds without dropping a beat. Is it this you're thinking of? An hour sounds a bit far fetched to me.

Appologies to the administrators - (one post and I've upset them)
I've trawled this thread and maybe I missed the answer, so here goes again:

Please excuse my ignorance. I know that John Bonham used a Ludwig drumkit, but did he use any others? In particular, what did he use in the late 70's?

Strange request, I know, but I've recently bought an old car that is reputed to have been owned by him in the late '70's (might have even featured in "the song remains the same" ??). I want to use a drum pedal as the accelerator pedal as a kind of tribute to him owning it.

Any help much appreciated.

If this post is in the wrong place or it is offensive in any way then I promise to go away and never come back!!

Now go and listen to "All of My Love". The keyboard solo. JPJ hits two keys at the same time. *Somewhere* around 2:50 into the tune. It's a gaff but does it take away from the song?

i actually never noticed that until you pointed it out. Good observation.

And while we're at it... Simon Phillips on Pete Townshend's tune "Face the Face" (White City). At about 1:09 in the tune Simon hits the rim instead of the snare. I'm not completely convinced it was accidental because it *almost* fits, but I'm pretty sure he missed the snare.

i actually never noticed that until you pointed it out. Good observation.

Bonham-Only Tracks on Zeppelin Lost Sessions Vol. 4

Hi - I hope this request is OK to post here - if not, sorry and please delete.

Does anyone happen to have:

Led Zeppelin - Lost Sessions Vol. 4
Empress Valley Supreme #EVSD-308/309 - 2 CD set

There are some drum takes (I believe pieces of the final takes used in the final mix) that include the "Fool in the Rain" snippet available here on this site.

I really enjoy listening to the Fool in the Rain (drums only) and comparing it to the final mix . Checking out the other tracks available as drums-only on the above compilation would be excellent!

Thanks in advance.

PS: Here is the track list for this set:

Disc 1: (November - December 1978, Polar Studios):
1. All My Love (rough mix / take)
2. Unreleased Song (Drum track)
3. Carouselambra (Drum Track)
4. Ozone Baby (Drum Track),
5. Ozone Baby (Drum Track)
6. All My Love (Drum Track)
7. Wearing and Tearing (Drum Track)
8. I'm Gonna Crawl (Drum Segment)
9. Fool In the Rain (Drum Track)

Disc 2: (May 1978, Clearwell Castle)
1. Fire
2. Carouselambra (takes 1-3)
/// (November - December 1978 Polar Studios)
3. Carouselambra (Instrumental Fragment)
5. Wearing and Tearing
6. Fool In the Rain
7. Hot Dog
8. In the Evening
9. Southbound Suarez
10. Darlene
11. Fool In the Rain
12. Carouselambra

Re: Help ! John Bonham File

That in no way sounds like the bass drum. I can hear that noise at 4:20 along side the drums. It's some electronic interference but who knows what caused it. Mic, guitar, cord, amp, etc.

im a big zeppelin fan and ive never heard Bonzo do that. I think it might be a mic. problem because at around 4:32 in to the song you dont see his legs moving nor do you see his body moving.

I agree that it's probably a mic or some other interference. It's definately not him.

howdy y'all...you folks might find this interesting...

apparently, Jazz Bonham goes to my school. yeah, she's in middle school, but the middle school dean also handles the driving stuff, so i was speeding on campus today and got called in and so did jazz for chewing gum. i had NO clue who she was...when they asked for her name, she was like "Jazz Bonham" and i went "Bonham? like John and Jason Bonham?"
so she goes, "Yup" and all i could think of was "wow...um...i ah...i play drums..." and she was like "Oh, me too. it's kind of in my blood." or something...think i passed out there...ANYWAY...yeah, story time's over. I am so becoming good friends and going over to her house. WOO-HA!

Back