The Big Business of Fake Fans

Yes....well said. I agree it will be counterproductive; it may be closer than we think to that state of affairs.

That was difficult to watch. He was trying WAAAYYY too hard.

Seems to me that we are in the throes of the "look at me" generation, where everyone expects everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. Forget about hard work, putting in time, blood, sweat, and tears to achieve your goals. When I was learning, I had to do it the hard way. Covers were just another form of practice, not a marketing tool. I had no YouTube, or internet for that matter. Once I finally joined a band, and I had to audition for it, we got shows based on reputation and crowd draw, not likes or views.

I think the net will be counter productive eventually. It will be so full of people trying to get found, the only way to be seen will to be actually going out and playing.

Notice there are only 11,839 likes from over 2.6 million supposed views.

Playing covers...I can't take covers seriously. They are great to learn how to play drums, but to put vids up and think you are really drumming is wack-a-doo!

Real bands or it didn't happen.
I respect that, but I also respect people who post "covers" (any instrument) that can be learned from.

Beginning musicians need to start somewhere, and learning how others play and approach their instrument is a great tool. It's also cool to see how people perform songs that I know, again the approach.

The whole "cover fame" thing, I agree 100% with you. How someone could pay a company to spam 3,000,000 views and 20,000 subscribers for a, well, marginal cover to begin with, doesn't seem like a smart business or career move anyway.

Good God how do I get my 4 minutes back? Please? Anybody?
watched a Gadd video to rinse that feeling away. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We're these bought views put towards the monetized total?

That would be a nice case of fraud to earn money.

Back