Complete beginner here, looking for the best instructional dvd/book/lessons etc

jco5055

First off, I used the search bar, but I couldn't get a definite answer.

Well, I'm 22 and a complete beginner. My only experience with drums is once in a while dicking around on an ex-bandmates kit (I sing and play guitar) and owning Rock Band 2 and playing on that.

I plan on buying a kit soon, and was interested in the best book/dvd/online lessons. I really doubt I'll have the time to seek out and have lessons with somebody in my area, not to mention as I plan on most likely using drums as more of a songwriting tool, unless I discover a real passion or talent for the instrument.

I don't know if I'm really keen on paying a subscription, but if I were I seem to understand that Mike's lessons is the most commonly recommended.

I also would prefer really just one book/method etc for my learning right now, and from what I've researched I've come across the Drumming System and the Progressive Complete Learn to Play Drums Manual. I understand that the Drumming System is a lot pricier,and a lot of people don't really like Drumeo, but if it would be worth it and works with my goals I would get it.

Also, to elaborate on what's listed above, I understand that Vic Firth has good rudiments lessons etc, but I'd really like one source where I can learn everything up to a certain level, such as feet technique and even just how to use the sticks correctly. Now if there were multiple sites/products that worked very well together (aka just master the rudiments on Vic Firth's site and complete X dvd) I'd be ok with that also.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also just realized that I've posted here more than I thought and have been a member for 2 years. Please ignore any past posts I have made, as I have not become a drummer since I joined.

I'm not quite sure if it's the best book to start with. But I tell you, if I could "start over" with drums, with no doubt I'd choose this one:
Technique Patterns - Gary Chaffee

It introduces you to finger technique, singles, doubles and various stickings and rhythmic mixtures. A lot of different methods of applying the paradiddle.

I can't recall the name of my first drum book, but it involved basic drum beats and fills from all type of genres, and was about 120 pages.

Oh! I'm not quite sure. My drum teacher gave me his ol' worn out technique pattern book, but he also suggested that I shouldn't purchase the other patterns books. I forgot to ask why though.

But I assume, like the "Sticking Patterns" could be replaced with the Stick Control book, which includes almost everything for the rudimental drummer, I assume!

And for the Rhythm & Meter patterns...I highly suggest you to get your hands on Gavin Harrison's Rhythmic Illusions. A very good, and actually fun book, since it breaks down all the illusions you can create upon all the simpliest beats etc.
And it can really annoy your bassist. ;)

What style of music are you into? Rock, Pop, Britpop/Indie? Or are you looking for more rudimental drum lessons or both?

All the best with your search.

TJ @ www.britchops.co.uk

It would be absolutely insane for a beginner to start to self-teach with any of the Patterns books or the Gavin Harrison thing. That's a 100% guaranteed all-fronts failure situation. I think you need to get with a drum teacher, in person, so they can assess what you know, what you need to know, and how you need it explained to you; and then stay with them at least until you know enough to be able to study productively on your own.

What style of music are you into? Rock, Pop, Britpop/Indie? Or are you looking for more rudimental drum lessons or both?

All the best with your search.

TJ @ www.britchops.co.uk

I guess I would say rock, probably more hard rock/metal etc, but just like my guitar playing, I like elements of funk, jazz etc also.

It would be absolutely insane for a beginner to start to self-teach with any of the Patterns books or the Gavin Harrison thing. That's a 100% guaranteed all-fronts failure situation. I think you need to get with a drum teacher, in person, so they can assess what you know, what you need to know, and how you need it explained to you; and then stay with them at least until you know enough to be able to study productively on your own.

That's what I thought, but I still want to know if there is any good products if I can't get lessons.

Most products seem like guitar products, where they're just more ideas/ways to expand playing, but you already know the basics. That's why the products I mentioned earlier seem to be the only "surefire" products that will go over even the real basics like setting up your kit, holding the sticks etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought, but I still want to know if there is any good products if I can't get lessons.

You could try The Drumset Musician by Rod Morgenstein, and/or Basic Drumming by Joel Rothman. Together with whatever random videos you can scrounge up online, a lot of playing with other musicians, and some luck, you could probably do ok. DM is all text and written music, and BD is all written music, so hopefully you know how to read music, and are good at learning via plain text. There are very few video "lessons" that I would rely on for anything beyond just getting a very general idea of how to set up the drums and hold the sticks. The Vic Firth site has some good stuff, so maybe they have some beginner videos that will work for you. I know the Drumeo/Drumming System links are pretty much unavoidable, and maybe you can learn a few things from their free videos, but I personally would not pay any amount of money for them.

Most products seem like guitar products, where they're just more ideas/ways to expand playing, but you already know the basics. That's why the products I mentioned earlier seem to be the only "surefire" products that will go over even the real basics like setting up your kit, holding the sticks etc.

Well, the only surefire thing is actual face time with an expert teacher. Those products are not surefire because they have no way of knowing what you need right now, of preventing you from misunderstanding their presentation, or of assuring that you are developing them in the right way. I'm not convinced some of those sites even care about those things. And I don't care how thorough they claim to be, they can't cover every last detail, possible question, or area of ambiguity. So just get yourself a basic snare drum book, a basic rock book, and get out and watch, and talk to, a lot of drummers.

...because it needs saying twice....

Well, the only surefire thing is actual face time with an expert teacher. Those products are not surefire because they have no way of knowing what you need right now, of preventing you from misunderstanding their presentation, or of assuring that you are developing them in the right way. I'm not convinced some of those sites even care about those things. And I don't care how thorough they claim to be, they can't cover every last detail, possible question, or area of ambiguity. So just get yourself a basic snare drum book, a basic rock book, and get out and watch, and talk to, a lot of drummers.

......and a THIRD time. Go find a teacher and get started. No instructional material can determine what you need.

Another recommendation for getting a teacher here.

I would say to get Stick Control though. I wish I had known about that book from the get go.

Yep, get a teacher. Better to learn correctly the first time then to have to go back and relearn it a second time and have to unlearn the bad habits. Good luck!

seventhed.

A good teacher will be able to provide you with the right level of challenge so that you can learn.

You can think of this as kind of like those games where you bat the penguin as far as you can. There is an optimum place - a sweet spot, if you will. Good teachers can find that sweet spot to propel you farther, faster. Books can't do that. Maybe you find it yourself, but much more likely you'll just end up shooting straight up in the air and falling down 2 feet from where you started.

Yes i agree with all people, get a good techer it's the best you can do. But if you not, i recommend you to look for the tommy igoe's dvd's. "Getting starting on drums" "Great hands for a lifetime" and the two volumes of "groove essentials" with that you'll have a lot to work to do, greetings

A Good teacher at that. And take care of your hearing from day one, it was something I didn't really consider when I was 22 years old and regret it now.

I started as a noobie just a couple of years ago, and above all, I agree with the others who are saying to get a good teacher. Definitely the best advice. For a book, I recommend A Fresh Approach to the Drumset by Mark Wessels and Stanton Moore. It's the only book I've found that goes lesson by lesson, covering the whole range of topics that you need to play the drumset. And on the website, you'll find videos by Stanton that illustrate each lesson. Of course, they wrote that book not so much to be used for self-instruction but rather to be used in a curriculum with a qualified teacher.

Back