13" vs 14" Hats?

I think the most important question is really what you want to use them for,

I saw a comment that you wouldn't use 13 for metal but higher pitches often cut through a low mix the best and metal is always highly amplified, you can mic it up so that it makes little difference.

LOL....yep, guilty your worship.

I'm not telling my 13" K/Z Specials that they're unwelcome in a blues setting. They'll be most upset and wondering why I allowed them to be used the first time round. ;-)

Well all to their own, I prefer a deeper sound in a blues gig.

Love the K/Z Specials btw, they will be my next hats!

For it depends more on the sound of that particular pair of hats than the size. I have 13" AA Fusion Hats, and at church I play 14" Paragons. I have also owned 13" New Beats, 13" Alpha Hats, and 14" Colorsound Hats. Peace and goodwill.

Could one assume that disco drummers would have used 13" hats?

I like to use 13" hats when I'm playing along to Police CD's. I had the Avedis 12" ones before as well. I should have never sold them :'(

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I was actually looking at a pair of Sabian 13" HHX Evolution hats. I played them at my local music store and I'm really digging the sound; just not digging the price so much :p

Anyone have any experience with these hats?

14 inch is historically the norm. Which doesn't mean they're better, just more common.

One thing about 13s is that you have that wee bit farther to reach (assuming you're playing cross-handed). With my double kick pedal, my hi hat is already a little bit past where'd I'd prefer it to be, so that half inch really does make a difference.

As far as price goes, I'm firmly of the opinion that serious high-end cymbals are the only way to go. If you buy the cheaper lines then, sure, you might have more cymbals in the short term, but there's no getting around the inferior sound. High quality cymbals will last you pretty much forever, but you'll get sick of the cheap sound of cheap cymbals and end up buying the real thing later, thereby spending more money in the long run.

I am a super fan of my 13" Zildjian A Mastersounds. With that said, I think my next purchase will be 13" Paiste Signature... I have a few Signature cymbals and the sound is fantastic.

I have heard great cymbals from meinl as well lately.

I pretty much stick with (and prefer) the sound of 13" hats.

Short answer: go to the store and compare them with each other and the other cymbals in your kit if you can.

Long answer: I just exchanged a pair of 13" Zildjian K Custom Dark Hi Hats for a pair of 14" of the same. I'd bought a 16" crash and 20" ride of the K Custom Darks together with the 13s a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much right away I noticed that they didn't seem to be what I was looking for and more importantly they didn't seem to "fit" with the other two cymbals. To me they sounded too "thick" and didn't have as much sizzle as I'd like. Also, their tone didn't seem to fit with that of the 16 & 20. I decided to play them for a couple of weeks before making a decision about exchanging them - but I never really got used to them. Finally, today I decided to take them in and compare them to the 14s. (This of course is what I should have done in the first place! For whatever reason, I just assumed I'd prefer the 13s.) I preferred the 14s over the 13s, and more importantly, they sounded MUCH better with the other two cymbals when I got them home and just tried them out now. Hope this helps anyone looking.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I was actually looking at a pair of Sabian 13" HHX Evolution hats. I played them at my local music store and I'm really digging the sound; just not digging the price so much :p

Anyone have any experience with these hats?

You can't go wrong with those hats in 13" or 14". Snap 'em up if the price is right.

Light and quick. I came into a complete Sabian Paragon set several years back at a killer price so I took em all and the case. Way more cymbals than I need, but there are 2 sets of hats in there. I tried the smaller pair and fell in love with them.

If not for getting that set I'd never have tried them.

Maybe not the best for chinky heavy Zep type timekeeping, but very versatile and fun to play.

please describe how 13'"s are "Maybe not the best for chinky heavy Zep type timekeeping, but very versatile and fun to play.". i would like a versatile hat that can do classic rock era stuff (funk / blues / country et al). 14's were unavailable so i ordered the 13"'s. did i make a mistake ?

i think i'd like the quick response, but the reach distance would be a drag and i would like a nice strong chick.

thanks.

thanks.

please describe how 13'"s are "Maybe not the best for chinky heavy Zep type timekeeping, but very versatile and fun to play.". i would like a versatile hat that can do classic rock era stuff (funk / blues / country et al). 14's were unavailable so i ordered the 13"'s. did i make a mistake ?

i think i'd like the quick response, but the reach distance would be a drag and i would like a nice strong chick.

thanks.

thanks.

To address your questions-
1- Reach-

Last edited:

thanks.

thanks.

As I was saying ...Didn't notice an appreciable difference in reach. I think they are "quicker" in terms of foot action though. Slightly...but noticable for me.

To my ears, they don't cut through as well as the 14s in a live situtaion where there is some volume. Just a gut feeling. Out in front of the kit they may sound identical but when playing live felt like I had to hit them harder in a time keeping role. Hope this is helpful.

As I was saying ...Didn't notice an appreciable difference in reach. I think they are "quicker" in terms of foot action though. Slightly...but noticable for me.

To my ears, they don't cut through as well as the 14s in a live situtaion where there is some volume. Just a gut feeling. Out in front of the kit they may sound identical but when playing live felt like I had to hit them harder in a time keeping role. Hope this is helpful.

very helpful, thanks.

Back