Europe

Although it's a World War 1 experience, I recommended either The Somme battlefields or Ypres. Both are simply amazing emotional experiences.

Oh I can imagine! In-fact I'm sure there are so many places that mark Human conflict that I could spend a very long time trying to visit each one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh I can imagine! In-fact I'm sure there are so many places that mark Human conflict that I could spend a very long time trying to visit each one. Thanks for the recommendation.

In that case you absolutely MUST visit Ypres (especially this year being the centenary of the start of the Great War). A visit to the Menin Gate at sunset is something you'll never forget.

In that case you absolutely MUST visit Ypres (especially this year being the centenary of the start of the Great War). A visit to the Menin Gate at sunset is something you'll never forget.

The Menin gate is something else. In Ypres they've made efforts to preserve the trenches in a relatively historical condition. It's a good idea of what they were like - without the obvious fears.

I went to The Somme with my school years ago. During the day, I saw some kids throwing stones at an object on a wall. I looked more closely and it was a hand grenade! Somebody has uncovered it, put it on the wall and left it there. Needless to say, I left. Quickly.

If you ever get a chance, visit the war cemeteries on both sides. The Allied graves are beautiful and sombre places. The graves of the German allies are entirely different - rather than open, wide spaces, they are much more compact - at least the one I visited was. A very stark contest and one that is harrowing but historically important.

What struck me were the crowds. I didn't appreciate how much higher the population density is in Europe as compared with Australia. I lived near or in the inner city of Sydney for 15 or so years and the great cities of Europe like Rome, Paris and London are something else again. As is the history. I found the Roman ruins especially powerful.

I love how Europeans still listen to and appreciate art music (Eurovision notwithstanding).

What struck me were the crowds. I didn't appreciate how much higher the population density is in Europe as compared with Australia. I lived near or in the inner city of Sydney for 15 or so years and the great cities of Europe like Rome, Paris and London are something else again. As is the history. I found the Roman ruins especially powerful.

I love how Europeans still listen to and appreciate art music (Eurovision notwithstanding).

Your face looking at the tube station entrances at rush hour is something I'll never forget...

She's agreed to see the war history and percussion attractions if I look at the art galleries and statues.

If you go to Rome, then as well as the Forum and Coliseum which are obligatory, please visit the Villa Borghese. You have to book tickets in advance but it's worth the bother: it's my favourite art gallery ever (so far). We've been to Rome a few times but only got round to visiting it last year, and we can't forgive ourselves for having missed out on it before.

You have to put London and Paris on your bucket list.You can take the chunnel,from London to Paris,in a short period of time.Besides the obvious tourist traps,the British War Museum is facinating.You can travel all over London on the underground on the cheap,but remember to..... mind the gap.:)

Remember when in Paris,when they say the trains stop at a certain time....they mean it.What ever station that train is stopped at,that's where it stays,and all passengers ,must get off the train.I don't know if it's still the same,but when I was there,you had to manually open the doors also.

Steve B

Yes i understand that the trains in Europe (esp. Switzerland) are very punctual. This would be a culture shock for me as an American!

The continent of Europe is actually 28 different countries, each with their own unique history and traditions.

So far I lived in 4 different countries in Europe... only 24 to go :)

How do they get home?

They take the long way home...

Yes i understand that the trains in Europe (esp. Switzerland) are very punctual. This would be a culture shock for me as an American!

Yep, Swiss trains are very punctual, I was a railway engineer for 10 years in Switzerland and I can tell you that if a train is one minute late, people start moaning about it, in the UK if a train is one minute late ONLY, people miss the train :)

Out of curiosity, what was the look I gave?

Perhaps something like this...

Confused-Then-Shocked-Julie-Wisdom-Teeth.gif

or like this...

crazy-lady-yell.gif

Back