Making Weighted Drum Sticks

I wanted to get a pair of weighted sticks, but they're not cheap. Anyone know how I could "make" a pair? Thanks.

Why would you want them.? Please don't tell me to build up your wrists..

I wouldn't bother, attaching a weight would throw off the feel of the stick. What most people do is get a pair of marching sticks and use them as "workout" sticks. You could also try a pair of Pro Mark Shira-Kashi Oak sticks or some laminated ones, they're pretty heavy and work well as a practice stick.

Any 5A hickory ( don't mention my spelling, i bet you understand it anyways ) from promark will have enough weight, for me a little too much, the 5AL is longer, and still lighter, also, why do you want Weighted sticks? new trend or?

I just read that after warming up with weighted sticks, regular sticks "feel like pencils". Sounded cool, I guess.

I'm practising with Vic Firth 'ROCK' sticks at the moment, and also playing with them as it happens. Bigger sticks are helpful to get better at small precise motions, I find.

Reactions: ZR2
I have a pair of solid stainless steel sticks from the 70's.I guess they were about the size of 5 A's. Had to use them on a pad,because they would just destroy drum heads.Useless in my opinion because the feel and rebound were nothing like playing real drums and they did nothing build up my wrists.
Steve B

I wanted to get a pair of weighted sticks, but they're not cheap. Anyone know how I could "make" a pair? Thanks.

drill and some lead weights? Seriously though, waste of time. If you want to build up endurance then it's just about practicing techniques along with a metronome and trying to keep it going over time i think.

Get some Tommy Aldridge sticks. HUGE and heavy, would work well as workout sticks. Only a drum animal like him can play logs like that.

Back