Singers and percussion

Magenta

Platinum Member
In both my bands, we play one or two songs that I think would sound nice with a bit of hand percussion (eggs), but both singers are adamant that they can't shake eggs and sing at the same time. One of them even insists that she has no sense of rhythm!

I've tried to explain that it's no different from tapping a foot, but to no avail and to be fair to them, when they have had a go they have proved that it is indeed a challenge.

Is it so very difficult? Or am I just unlucky to have found the only two singers on the planet who can't do it?

It is not as easy as it seems. You have to learn to free up braincells to do the shaking.

We have the problem the other way around in my batucada where at some point everyone is supposed to shout "HEY!", just once on the 2-and somewhere in a break, and the first time we tried the whole groove fell apart. 2 months later it's still hard for some.

And then yes, some have no sense of rhythm , but then how can they sing in time?

Madge isn't it curious that something that we think is as easy as breathing, is an insurmountable mountain to others? Like really? You can't move your hand in time as you sing? Really? I bet if they had an itch they could scratch it while singing.

but then how can they sing in time?

Well yes, that's what I can't get my head around: there's nothing wrong with her timing.

Madge isn't it curious that something that we think is as easy as breathing, is an insurmountable mountain to others? Like really? You can't move your hand in time as you sing? Really? I bet if they had an itch they could scratch it while singing.

Absolutely. Singers are odd! I thought it was just guitarists, lol.

Madge - I'll say this once, & once only: Unless said gobist has proven live percussion ability - never EVER allow them to take a percussive roll in a performance. Egg shakers are potentially bad enough, but cowbell is asking for a car crash.

Believe it or not, separating the expressive melodic nature of vocals from the mostly regimented job of percussion is actually quite difficult, & certainly requires some road miles to hone.

I think it would be pretty difficult, as it's using a different part of her brain.

Try playing an average song for your band on the drums while singing. It's very difficult to do (at least I think so). Even in jazz where the drummers are often more concerned with the melody than the rhythm, it's tough to sing a melody while playing the drums, even if I can hear it in my head.

Also, I second what the previous poster said: keep singers away from percussion accessories!

OK Madge, I'm going to turn it around. You offer to sing a number in your band while playing drums.
Granted it's not the same though - drummers have 4 limbs going, whereas singers need only have one limb for perc.

Our singer also claims to not do percussion, but mostly because she says a Tamb hurts her hand.

Better that they KNOW they can't do it -- than a singer who THINKS they can!!

I've played with a singer who was constantly going to Tambourine, shakers or (horror of horrors) cowbell --- and could NOT do it and sing, though they were totally oblivious to how off they were... everyone in the band mentioned it - yet the singer would not be swayed... I tell you, there were times that cowbell sounded like it had been thrown down a flight of steps -- try to maintain a groove with that nonsense going on! We finally resorted to removing all percussion implements from the van.

Be thankful for NO percussion!!

Avoid the singer with percussion toys at all costs! Do not bring it up and do not encourage them. No good will come from that enterprise.

Better that they KNOW they can't do it -- than a singer who THINKS they can!!

We finally resorted to removing all percussion implements from the van.

That is brilliant. I have had to hide the sound makers also.
What is funny is they will go to that box, that is provided for them and expect to find to the "noise makers." What? Where are they?
You mean, I have to buy these at a store and actually bring them to gigs and rehearsals? Maybe have to get a case?!!
Oh no.
I don't wanna do that!
This is too much work bringing percussion.
...................Try a whole drum kit............

The singers might be distracted by shakers. Maybe if they worked at it they could get it working.

Madge, you might get a microphone and sing while playing drums. Maybe you have the ability.

Well, it obviously is more difficult than I realised, so fair enough. We play a couple of numbers where I have to join in the singing and one where I have to speak whilst playing. The singing ones are fine because I just keep to the rhythm; the other is trickier because I have to separate the speaking from the groove, if you see what I mean. In my flamenco days I used to sing, dance and play castanets at the same time, so maybe this sort of thing does come more easily to me than to some people.

However, re not letting singers anywhere near percussion: point taken, with thanks!

When my band first started playing Day Tripper I suggested that our then singer handle the tambourine parts (none of which overlap with acshil singing).

He looked at me in absolute horror - headlight stricken mooses....meese....moose...rabbits look more composed.

Singing while playing (as I've posted more than once) usually helps me find the groove because in most pop/rock stuff the vocal line also grooves. The one song in our repertoire which doesn't do this, and which turns into a train wreck when I try and sing it, is Rain King by the Counting Crows. Rain King has really odd, off-beat phrasing.

I agree with many of the comments below, most singers have a fairly poor sense of time. On the other hand a dedicated trained percussionist can really add atmosphere and feel. However, a singer with a tamborine is usually a licence for rhythmic mediocrity?

I remember trying to explain a simple but rhythm with one displaced snare accent, the singer just couldn't get it and kept on playing out of groove. Train wreck time.

I openly promote the percussive disarmament of singers.

What is wrong with a little melodically expressive cowbell?

Percussion for singers probably work better with accent percussion and phrase markers, like a gong or clash cymbal, wind chimes, samba whistles these probably function more similarly to how vocals fit into an ensemble.

Our lead singer plays tambourine or shakers with excellent timing. The problem is when there are stops or breaks in the song - she just keeps on going, so those special gaps that the rhythm section has planned get filled in. Not that the audience knows or cares though...

Our lead singer plays tambourine or shakers with excellent timing. The problem is when there are stops or breaks in the song - she just keeps on going, so those special gaps that the rhythm section has planned get filled in. Not that the audience knows or cares though...

That is interesting. In the local Latin band I like to watch, it seems the percussion/back up singer section seems to run the show. The rhythm section occasionally plays a tight knit syncopated section, but usually it's the cow bell keeping time and harmonizing while the lead singer works the crowd.

Back