How do major labels act when they approach you? (scam avoidance)

Ferret

My coworker who is a local rapper with a pretty good following just got scammed by someone pretending to be a scout looking for guys to open for Lil Wayne. He impersonated the record label, gave a real time and date that ticket master showed wayne to be playing, and dropped names that were really on the label. My friend did some background checking to make sure he wasn't getting scammed and it looked legit, so he wired across some "promotion money" and it turned out to all be fake.

So I have to ask, for myself and my friend.

To you pro drummers/major label guys, what is the procedure for when the big break comes? What does it look like? Do you arrange to meet with a rep face to face? Is there EVER any kind of promotional fee? I would really love to hear some stories of every detail what it's like to be scouted to play for big acts, and some other red flags to know when you're getting scammed.

They took almost a whole paycheck from my friend, and I never want to have my confidence built up to find out I got duped, so any feedback/info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My guess is that they won't ask for any fees, because they'll be making much, much more from selling your albums. They approach you because they see a future in selling your music.
Major labels, at least.

I have seen this kind of thing before, and in all my years of playing I have NEVER had to pay a fee to play with a larger act. Somethimes you will have to sell tickets to the show, and for some tours you have to do what it called a "buy on" were you give the band a cut of money to tour with them, or give them a cut of your merch sales. But no money up front.

If you are going to play with a larger act, one of two things happen. The venues promoter will contact you (and if he contacts you, he already knows you and you have probably worked with him before). Or you set up the gig with the other band directly.

One thing to watch for, your friend was asked to open for an artists who is HUGE. Acts as big as that do not ever have a group open for them who is not already on a lable or has a name for themselves.

Any time you are asked for a fee from anyone who initiate the solicitation, run the other way.

My policy is, if someone comes to me unsolicited, and wants to provide a product or service for a fee, I avoid them. Period. No discussion. It doesn't matter if they come to my door, leave a flyer, call on the phone, or approach me at the entrance of a store... I will not do business with anyone where I don't initiate the call.

FYI, 'scouts' don't arrange opening acts - the concert promoter, label, or artist decides who opens. Sorry for your friend, I hope it wasn't an expensive lesson.

Bermuda

I have seen this kind of thing before, and in all my years of playing I have NEVER had to pay a fee to play with a larger act. Somethimes you will have to sell tickets to the show, and for some tours you have to do what it called a "buy on" were you give the band a cut of money to tour with them, or give them a cut of your merch sales. But no money up front.

If you are going to play with a larger act, one of two things happen. The venues promoter will contact you (and if he contacts you, he already knows you and you have probably worked with him before). Or you set up the gig with the other band directly.

One thing to watch for, your friend was asked to open for an artists who is HUGE. Acts as big as that do not ever have a group open for them who is not already on a lable or has a name for themselves.

That right there irritates me! Why should you have to sell tickets to your own show? I hate it when venues do that to bands. That's not right...

That right there irritates me! Why should you have to sell tickets to your own show? I hate it when venues do that to bands. That's not right...

That's not even the worst of it. Lots of placed are doing Pay to Play shows. NYC and LA started it and it's been spreading around the country. These Entertainment or Promo companies lock in deals at good venues and if you want to play that venue, and you are not established, you have to pay the promoter and in return you get tickets to sell to the show. You can keep all the money from the ticket sales, but trying to get what you spent on the promoter back is hard.

my band has never taken one of those "pay to play" deals, although we've been offered a few. however, we very often have to sell our own tickets to the show, and what we get paid is often directly linked to how many advance tickets we sell. it's tough if you're an original band trying to "make it" in any way. we really have to grovel sometimes!

my band has never taken one of those "pay to play" deals, although we've been offered a few. however, we very often have to sell our own tickets to the show, and what we get paid is often directly linked to how many advance tickets we sell. it's tough if you're an original band trying to "make it" in any way. we really have to grovel sometimes!

What you mention I have been invvolved with a couple of times...and really I feel is just another scam too. There is a local place here that books bands and expects you to see tickets as well....if you sell enough you make money if not you lose money becuase they soundguy there makes money regardless...personally I think it is pretty awful that some Mom and Pop places can pay real money while this mega-cooporate giant feels you must drum up your own audience in order to be paid. I won't name names but let's just say I bet everyone here knows who I am talking about and has heard of the place.

My coworker who is a local rapper with a pretty good following just got scammed by someone pretending to be a scout looking for guys to open for Lil Wayne. He impersonated the record label, gave a real time and date that ticket master showed wayne to be playing, and dropped names that were really on the label. My friend did some background checking to make sure he wasn't getting scammed and it looked legit, so he wired across some "promotion money" and it turned out to all be fake.

So I have to ask, for myself and my friend.

To you pro drummers/major label guys, what is the procedure for when the big break comes? What does it look like? Do you arrange to meet with a rep face to face? Is there EVER any kind of promotional fee? I would really love to hear some stories of every detail what it's like to be scouted to play for big acts, and some other red flags to know when you're getting scammed.

They took almost a whole paycheck from my friend, and I never want to have my confidence built up to find out I got duped, so any feedback/info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Every serious musician - and by serious I mean someone who has aspirations of making their art their living - should start to cultivate a relationship with an entertainment lawyer. A skilled entertainment lawyer can provide advice about the way the business works and one telephone call probably could have saved your friend a lot of money. In the the music business, billions of dollars are exchanged every year and if you want to get your share you must think about what you do from a business perspective. Do you think the labels and the management companies and the promoters and the agents make deals without having their attorney look over the contract? If they don't why do musicians? There is nothing crass about being paid what you are due and it does not betray your art. Go find a lawyer!!

Paul

A relationship would virtually NEVER be established with an agent buy 'buying in' to his business. If anyone comes up to you saying theyre interested and need $x.00 to continue, tell them to go jump.

As a general rule, you probably wont ever be approached in your lifetime. Talent scouts are rare these days, and when scouting does occur, its usually through online sources and networked acquaintances - Its cheaper and easier.

If you want to get signed, the reality is that you usually have to bug these guys TO DEATH, and then youre part of the way there...

A relationship would virtually NEVER be established with an agent buy 'buying in' to his business. If anyone comes up to you saying theyre interested and need $x.00 to continue, tell them to go jump.

To be honest i'm no expert but there's no way i would have paid a supposed record company person to do anything, unless i was really desperate i MIGHT do a P2P but that's it. It's like paying those internet scammers who say "you've just won $10,000,000! Just pay $Xthousand transfer charge and we'll send you the money straight away!" If you think about it this is really the same, they're offering you something which is WAY too good to be true. Just recieving $10million from some bloke in Nigeria at random? Some random bloke coming up to you and saying "hey mate how would you like to play with lil' Wayne?". Then they're asking for a fee where one really shouldn't be nessicary. If you look at the way a money transfer takes place, if you are charged the money will come off the money that's transferred, like on paypal. If you're asked by a record company to do a show and you get signed, everything should be free. Not only that but that's really the whole reason bands do record companies in the first place! You get a load of goods and services paid for by the record company for free, then they'll take a cut off any song (if you're lucky that is let's face it these days!)/merch/ticket sales and royalties that you make. No upfront fees.

Sorry mate, but your friend was just tempted into something that really was too good to be true, he was so excited about it that he just didn't keep his head screwed on to look at the facts of the matter and he was duped. That's how these con artists work.

Back