One vehicle, all gear. Suggestions?

When I played in a band we used a full size Ford Econoline van. With the back seat removed, we could get all my gear (2 kicks, 5 toms, carpet, cymbal bag, tons of hardware, other misc. stuff), 2 half stacks, a bass rig with 2 18"s, all guitar and bass heads, pedals, rack effects, guitars, a cooler for food, and all 4 band members. It took some trial and error to make work, but if you are good at Tetris you should have no problems fitting it all in one full size van.

What he said! ... Ford are decent and big! Where in the country are you?

I like the short bus idea. Keep enough seats for the band, take out the rest. Less gas because of using only one vehicle. Install a hidden kill switch to avoid "screwdriver starting" and get Lo-Jack just in case it gets towed away. No parking/backing up/trailer hitch/jack knife issues. Plus you get those cool flashing lights for loading and unloading.

An old school mechanic told me to turn the front wheels fully in one direction after parking. That way anyone trying to get your vehicle on a flatbed....it will be problematic. Big fan of kill switches too, I have one on my truck. Anything to delay the thief.

I always thought that a bear trap near the gas pedal would be the ultimate theft prevention. Plus it would administer instant justice even if the guy managed to get away.

I always thought that a bear trap near the gas pedal would be the ultimate theft prevention. Plus it would administer instant justice even if the guy managed to get away.

This is the greatest anti theft idea I have ever heard!

I suggested the van because our normal vehicle towing vehicle burned out its tranny while towing the trailer. The van never had any problems minus a flat tire.

This is the greatest anti theft idea I have ever heard!

I know it is pretty awesome isn't it? Chain it to the frame somehow. Put a hacksaw nearby and when he grabs the handle, it injects a needle full of something to knock the guy out for like 5 hours.

Then you torture him. Mu ha ha ha!

I once helped a friend collect a piano...two pianos in fact. he had a VW caravelle. we fitted two pianos, 6 guys a coolbox (of course) and one guy played the piano on the trip. the only problem was that there were only two seats in the front

Another option would be investing in a train..

I've said it before. I can get my full 7 piece kit or a smaller kit and two tympani in a Chrysler PT Cruiser with room to spare.

I like the short bus idea. Keep enough seats for the band, take out the rest. Less gas because of using only one vehicle. Install a hidden kill switch to avoid "screwdriver starting" and get Lo-Jack just in case it gets towed away. No parking/backing up/trailer hitch/jack knife issues. Plus you get those cool flashing lights for loading and unloading.

An old school mechanic told me to turn the front wheels fully in one direction after parking. That way anyone trying to get your vehicle on a flatbed....it will be problematic. Big fan of kill switches too, I have one on my truck. Anything to delay the thief.

My buddies band bought a short bus. painted it black and put the band logo, info etc all over the outside. inside left the from few rows and made the back are the gear section with tie downs in the floor etc. really cool. I do think andys trailer is better though. no engine troubles etc and less taxes, lower everything and with the loading gate its so much better than the bus idea.

one band i was in had a ford f250 pick up truck, 8 foot long bed with a cap. we had a pa, amps, guitars, my 9pc double bass in there and four wheel drive for the winter. cramped in the cab with four of us but, we were young so it didnt matter.

My band used to use a Ford Club Wagon. I'm pretty sure we used to keep the 2 rear benches behind the front seats and all the gear fit pretty well though I didn't have as big a kit as yours. You could probably fit all your gear with only one rear seat left in. Those trucks are awesome.

Step vans are the work horse of the food/ice cream and delivery truck world.The sit low to the ground and have plenty of storange space,but,only two seats.so that involves a car for the band,unless you want to sit in the rear with the gear,which I'm certain is illegal.The vehicle reistration and title state how many seats are in the vehicle,so it may ONLY carry that many passengers.

You might also look into used school mini buses.

You might also want to look into a commercial drivers license,which may be required to drive this vehicle.Along with registration fees and other insurance fees,you're looking at a large monthly nut to feed.

Better look into the overall expences first.

Steve B
I would suggest something around p-500 or p-700 size step-van, if so. Rear seats can be added (not that I know how to do the work, but I've driven and used them). You won't need a commercial license.

Back