Can I lacquer the bare wood?

MFTC

Hello, as my 1st little project I've picked up a cheap 2nd Tama Swingstar wooden snare to modify. Its stripped, sanded and ready to go but I fancy a natural finish. Can I just spray polyeurethane lacquer straight on to th shell or does it need rubbing with wax or some sort of sealant?

Thanks!

That shell is laun(Phillipine Mahogany) and is a porus wood.Seal it first,then apply polyurathane.

Steve B

Seal it first,then apply polyurathane.
This. +1. It'll come out better, if you seal it. And if you "do" decide to seal it, make sure the sealer and polyurathane are compatible. I like using similar brands, so I know there won't be any "negative" reaction between products.​
Using a spray, many thin coats are better than a few thick coats. A set of Rogers shells, I refinished, I sprayed 10 coats of polyurathane to the interiors.​

For doing a mirror gloss clearcoat over a porus wood, you need to fill the grain. Select a sanding sealer that's compatible with your topcoat. Sanding sealer contains a high solids content and will help fill the grain of the wood with fewer coats of finish than you'd need by just using the poly.

If you want the finish to shine the straight spray on poly may not be enough. Its more of an after sealant. Ive never tried it that way so it might work. you can apply linseed oil or something a little lighter that wont change the color of the wood and poly over that. try the poly alone first, you can always sand it down and start over.

Don't randomly mix finishes; you may find that your poly may not adhere to an oil well.

Furthermore, different finishes have different colors. Oils tend to have a slight amber tint. Some polys may be a hair blue-ish. Other may be clear.

A wood conditioner will help with an even finish. Here's a link to one type, but other brands might work just as good:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products...er?WT.srch=1&gclid=CM6O8pnwirMCFUfNOgodoTgAmw

Probably more important when staining, but it'd do good for lacquer too.

Yes, that's for preventing blotchy absobtion of stain. That's not what's needed for a "natural" clear finish.

Back