Can you help me decide?

So, I'm thinking of getting another drum kit. I'm a mid-range drummer and I play all kinds of rock.
I'm debating whether to get a Gretsch Catalina Club Rock or a Tama Silverstar both in red sparkle.

Here is an image of the Gretsch Club Rock. The configuration is 24" kick, 14" snare, 13" rack tom and 16 and 18" floor tom.
catclubredsparklemed.jpg

And here is the Tama Silverstar. The configuration is 22" kick, 14" snare, 8" tom, 10" tom and 12" tom and a 16" floor tom.
silverstar-red-spkl-6pc.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations on the kits?

Well, if I had to choose between the two, based on available setup I'd go with the Gretsch kit. It's almost identical in shell sizes to the kit I just bought (Ludwig Centennial).

It's a horserace, really. I think both kits are probably pretty comparable. Sorry I'm not much help.

The follow up question: does either configuration match what you're currently playing? Does that make a difference to you?

Nope - can't help you decide. I can tell you what those two kits 'say' to me though.

From a 'looks' perspective, the Gretsch has the cool factor, if you don't have to lug those big drums around too much.

From a 'playing' perspective, I'd have an easier time with the Tama.

What is your current kit? Are you looking for another one of those, or are you looking for something different?

I currently play a kit configuration identical to that Gretsch (24/13/16/18), which is very similar to another kit I have. If I were to get yet another kit, I think I'd do one with smaller sized toms, like something closer to that Tama just because it's different from what I have.

For the kind of drumming I'm doing most of the time, the big drums rule, but for everything else (and expanding my horizons) it would be nice to have a kit with smaller sizes.

Which of those you choose should be based on what you want it for. Either are fine for what they are but they're not trying to do the same thing.

I would recommend that you play both configurations in a music store, regardless of brand. Those two kits will play completely differently. To me, that would be the deciding factor more than anything else. How well can you play each one?

You say you play "all kinds of rock". To me that Gretsch speaks 'thunder of the gods' 'Bonhamesque' , pretty deep heavy rock (you know, with Marshall stacks). As pointed out, no tom smaller than a 13. I personally prefer that kit, and a Gretsch, but my guess is it would be the less versatile of the two.

Back