New Kit Research

Colin

Pioneer Member
So it's probably been at least 6-7 years since I've posted here (I'm surprised my username still works), but I thought I'd ask you folks for some help.

After 10 years of playing my PDP FS kit, I've decided to finally get a new kit. However, I have no idea what's really out there now. I haven't done any research in years. Can any of you help me with what's new in the gear world?

I play in a heavy metal band, so drums with high attack and volume (but warmth) would be perfect. I played an Oak Custom the other day at a Guitar Center and it sounded fantastic. What else is out there? Thanks everyone.

Well, there is an amazing assortment of nice gear out there. Based on your req, you might want to look at the new TAMA Starclassic Performers in Birch/Bubinga. I use a 100% birch set of Starclassic Performers from 1999 for playing out; they're WMP and look great and every sound guy that's worked with them loved them. Punchy. In my studio I keep my DW Collectors in Satin Maple set up. Both great kits. I've recently had the chance to play on a Gretsch Brooklyn kit which just blew me away. I grew up playing Ludwig Super Classics, and they're making some great drums right now, as is, Guru, Pearl, Sonor...

What is your $$ range Colin?

Last edited:
The Oak customs are killer drums man. If I hadn't gotten the Guru's it would have been either those or the Tama Bubingas.

I ask the forum regulars not to laugh when I say this, but I've been really impressed with my recently acquired 2007 Mapex Saturns...

If you liked the oak customs and they are in your price range you really can't go wrong with them. As somebody else said, the Starclassic B/B's would suit you well, too. If they are in your budget, look at the Pearl Masters MCX for good measure. I love them so much I bought 2 of them. The 6 ply maple shells can do just about any musical application. They are also a couple hundred less than the Tamas.

It's really wide open. Take a good look at everything.

My budget is probably around $2000, maybe a little more. I'll definitely check out those Tamas. Thanks guys.

I also vote for the Tama Starclassic B/B..Just got me a set of them about a month ago. Great drums!!

Buy used, but make sure if possible try them out before you buy.

Saturns are good for it's price, then again each to it's own.

When you say you want a warm sound - people will normally point you in the maple direction. I like the tama birch/bubingas though.

Take your time, check out all the brands, decide which lugs, finishes, mounting systems, badges etc you like, you can't really go wrong.

I also encourage you to check out saturns.

Back