The new acquisition - walnut thermagloss!

Holy Moly that's ah one big drum kit. What the hell ya going to do with it-gig?? You'll scare away the customers with that thing-I warn you. But I'd really like to hear that baby soar-ad 16X28 kick-that's thunder-you can't play it near faults (You know that right). It's the thermogloss of the week-what happened to the kit your friend let you borrow? Can't wait to hear them.

Very nice Bo. I remember drooling over a kit like that in a store around 82 when I ordered my SL series kit. The sizes were smaller though. Really beautiful.

I had a show last night and I got tired moving around my 22x14... do you use a dolly or does your bass drum case have wheels or something?

Your kit next to my kit (picture attached).

Attachments

• 8046230ca59acc4cf9b6841e5cdc3667--postwar-cadillac.jpg
    8046230ca59acc4cf9b6841e5cdc3667--postwar-cadillac.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 298
On your picture, the second tom seems really bigger than its counterpart. As if it was 13 and 15. Optical effect maybe. Looking forward for other pictures !

On your picture, the second tom seems really bigger than its counterpart. As if it was 13 and 15. Optical effect maybe. Looking forward for other pictures !

10x14 next to 12x15 always looks smaller. It’s that two inch depth difference. Other than 12x15 being the parade drum size (so the shells are already being made), I wonder why they didn’t do 11x15 instead, since the tom sizes were getting deeper by one inch anyway.

I’ll do more pictures since I’ve already removed the 12x15 from the equation. I like playing only four drums anyway.

One of the good thing about those giant drums is that the modular tom mount doesn't seem as bulky and out of proportion as on "normal" set up :-D !

Bo, I really don't know if it's wise to encourage your "acquisitional tendencies"...

... but I've just got to tip my hat to someone who carries the torch for big bass drums the way that you do. :)

It's the kind of thing I dreamt about before I got old and boring. Keep on rockin' , man!

Ok Matt I'm being patient but want to hear that 28 in bass-I bought the last kit with a 24 in kick-"because I wanted to try a big kick" but now I'm feeling a little inadequate and now question I've tried a big kick. I'd like to play a Monster Thermogloss kit like that-though I still think it may cause an earthquake ;)

Bo, I really don't know if it's wise to encourage your "acquisitional tendencies"...

... but I've just got to tip my hat to someone who carries the torch for big bass drums the way that you do. :)

It's the kind of thing I dreamt about before I got old and boring. Keep on rockin' , man!

28" was considered normal once. Chick Webb, who was shorter than me, led his own big band from a 28". I'm just looking for the ultimate bottom, ya know?

I get impression 18" was normal for some genres like small ensembles. 22" seems to be the defacto standard now based on how many 22" kits available vs others. But when was 28" "normal", and for what genre?

28" was considered normal once. Chick Webb, who was shorter than me, led his own big band from a 28". I'm just looking for the ultimate bottom, ya know?

I get impression 18" was normal for some genres like small ensembles. 22" seems to be the defacto standard now based on how many 22" kits available vs others. But when was 28" "normal", and for what genre?

Check your history. Around the turn of the century, when concert bands ruled the world and before Mr. Ludwig developed the first practical bass drum pedal, all bass drums were big. Add a pedal, and many people played 14x28, and back then, the size still fit in trunks of automobiles. The early drum set pioneers like Chick Webb, Zutty Singleton, Davey Tough, and others. There was a great photograph of Sonny Payne when he played with Duke Ellington (or Count Basie?) with all of his stuff centered around a 28" bass drum. You gotta check all that stuff out - otherwise you don't know what's already been done on the instrument.

Many people still argue the merits of the tiny bass drum because of guys like Tony, Max, and Elvin. But when you ask them why they played 18's, like I did when I got to meet Elvin years ago at Pro Drum in Hollywood (he was very dear friends with the proprietors there) he said they had to figure out a way to get everything in a station wagon plus the four musicians when they toured around. And he just got used to the 18! Max probably said the same thing too.

It is partly about transportation and kit layout, as in size. But it is also about sound. While they can be used in the same way, some of the time, it depends on what you want to play on that drum. Different diameters and different depths can affect the music that you make. 14" X 18" is my preferred voice, but most drummers would think that was too tiny. I mean just look at Odd-Arne's signature file.

It is partly about transportation and kit layout, as in size. But it is also about sound. While they can be used in the same way, some of the time, it depends on what you want to play on that drum. Different diameters and different depths can affect the music that you make. 14" X 18" is my preferred voice, but most drummers would think that was too tiny. I mean just look at Odd-Arne's signature file.

Of course, you’re right. Heck, as an artist, you can use whatever you like to make your art. That’s cool. I’m just of the “bass” drum persuasion. I want it in the low register - I’m in agreement with Morello, who didn’t play anything smaller than a 22”. Imagine those bombs he dropped in “Take Five” being done with a 18”. Then they’d be more like smoke grenades instead.

I'm just looking for the ultimate bottom
To play what with whom? That size of a bass drum means loss of definition for anything quicker than a quarter note, which is what they were playing for the most part when smaller bass drums weren't available.

My sig is of course a joke, sort of.

Today you can do a lot with a small drum. Just check out Miss Caplette. Se uses mostly 14, 16 and 18, it seems.

To play what with whom? That size of a bass drum means loss of definition for anything quicker than a quarter note, which is what they were playing for the most part when smaller bass drums weren't available.

Have you been listening to guys like John Bonham and Abe Laboriel Jr? You’re kidding, right?

And hey - newsflash - I’ll use it with whoever I decide to use it with, and I’ll make it work. I just need to do it in a venue that’s bigger than my current one.

Back