Is there a name for this drum arrangement?

Shild

I've seen the drummer of White Lion has done this and now I see that the drummer of W.A.S.P. did this. They have the 2 bass drums at the extreme ends of the kit so it's open air in front of your feet. Then I guess they must use 2 double bass pedal sets so they have driveshafts to each bass drum. Is there a name for this arrangement? Here is a prime example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-JT04j-co

I would call that Roadie Style, along with every other huge drumset that is moved by the crew, not by the drummer.

Don't know if there's really a name for the setup, but the toms are centered and much lower. Maybe that's what he was going for. Thinking outside the box can be a very good thing.

Don't know if there's really a name for the setup, but the toms are centered and much lower. Maybe that's what he was going for. Thinking outside the box can be a very good thing.

I would have to agree. Some drummers like their toms at a certain height and dont like to be seated to high on the drums. Unlike portnoy on the awake drum kit, when he was practically standing...

White Lion and Wasp?

What Year is this?

Honestly, don't take anything from those setups. They were purely intended to look cool 15-20 years ago.

White Lion and Wasp?

What Year is this?

Honestly, don't take anything from those setups. They were purely intended to look cool 15-20 years ago.

The Wasp vid is from 97. I'm still trying to find the vid for when White Lion did it. But regardless if those sets were intended to look cool 15-20 years ago then what looks cool now?

Yeah, and he has room to have bigger toms too!

I can't imagine the extra effort it takes to play those that way. The lag with the pedals. No thank you!!

Think for yourself.

Experiment.

Screw appearance...functionality is the order of the day.

My sincere advice to you is to forget about any of that stuff. What looks cool is kicking butt on the drums. Set up your kit so that it is easily playable. Practice religiously and you will be a good drummer and there is nothing cooler than that.

well said jeff!
btw - have you seen abe laboriel's latest kit. his 26inch bass drum is mounted off to the side because his toms would be so high up if mounted traditionally. now there is an example of remote bass drum set up with a purpose.
mqdefault.jpg

in answer to the thread title: the name for the arrangemnet is remote bass drum set ups.

Yeah, I was thinking black cymbals are cool now, but isn't it just paint that's going to wear off and ultimately make it look ugly?

You won't even have to wait that long! You'll be looking and sounding ugly literally as soon as you mount them on your stands!

I can't see any reason for this other than aesthetic. If that drummer likes this kinda thing then ok more power to him. It's most certainly not very practical. Using two double kick pedals like that most certainly makes for a lot more stuff to lug around and a lot more mechanical things that can go wrong. But as was said in a previous comment, if he has roadies doing all this then I suppose it doesn't matter to him. To him, apparently it looks cool. That's fine for him I guess. Definately not my thing lol.

Yeah, I was thinking black cymbals are cool now, but isn't it just paint that's going to wear off and ultimately make it look ugly?

Hey man, when Travis starts worrying about his paint chipping, then so will I.

Until then, I'm doing what Travis does........because Travis is cool!!

Back