SJC Custom?

Hey guys!
I'm looking for a nice little kit with that vintage-yet-modern sound that I'm after and have heard some great SJC kits lately. I know they get a bad rep for making some uglier kits but, that's what the customer wanted. So, I sent in a request for a quote for a nice little kit:
20x14 bass - Coated PS3 and Fibreskyn PS4 Resonant
13x8 - Coated Ambassador top and bottom
15x13 - Coated Ambassador top and bottom
Aged Marine Pearl Finish, Beavertail lugs, 30 degree rounded edges, black bass hoops with inlaid AMP in the middle, "weathered" hardware (looks dull and vintage looking), Butterfly bass claws, 2.3 rims, RIMS mount on the rack tom and DW floor tom rackets drilled into the shell. A few other bits, but I hope it will be under $1500.
I think that combined with the 5 ply mahogany shells, they could cover almost anything! I'm waiting for the quote still, but if it's something I could do, I may very well go for it. Anyways, any experiences with SJC that you'd like to share or just input?

Thanks guys!
Mitch

I think they're going to come back with a number significantly higher than that. That's what I remember about SJC...

I agree about the price, they're not a budget company.

Something else to consider about your purchase: what's the reasale value going to be with a particular boutique brand? There've been a ton of small companies, and I can only think of a few that have much value on the second-hand market, and SJC is not among them. Off the top of my head, I'd say Pork Pie, GMS and Spaun lead the pack in terms of desirability for used "custom" drums (and I doubt the sellers are recuping much of their cost on those, either.)

Mind you, I'm not talking about quality - I'm talking about what you pay up front, and what happens to your investment in the months and years to come.

Bermuda

Second that ... $1500 ... that's what I paid for my Gretsch Round Badge kit. 20, 13, 16. Ten years from now, it'll be worth more. An SJC kit, in ten years, probably gonna be worth about $800-$1000. No big deal, if you never plan on selling this kit. If you want a "vintage look", why not just buy a "vintage kit"?​

Well, part of the reason that I don't want a vintage kit is because I want to keep some of the modern appointments of today. I really don't plan on selling this kit either. I plan to keep it with me for a LOOONG time so I don't really need to worry about resale.

Looks like 1500 bucks is gonna fall well short. I wonder if you should be a bit more realistic. How much can you really spend here? If $1500 is all you have, it's probably time to start checking out the used market.

Hey guys. I've decided against the SJC. It's just more than I'm wanting to spend on a kit. I've decided to go with C&C and one of their new luan mahogany kits. I'm going to go with the same sizes:
20x14
13x8
16x14
Radio Kind reissue lugs, natural stain finish, and I'm hoping that this will give me that vintage vibe without having to risk taking a vintage kit somewhere and it getting destroyed.

Well, that will certainly get you a "vintage " vibe ...​

Attachments

• IMG_3431-2-410x273.jpg
    IMG_3431-2-410x273.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 187
The other day I went to Guitar Center and tried out this beautiful Paiste Prototype 17" Crash that I want to get. I want my cymbals to get that vintage vibe like the C&Cs will:
15" Dream Bliss Hats
17" Paiste Prototype Crash
20" Zildjian A Armand Ride

I'm hoping that this kit will come together like I want it to!

Back