My tastes are changing again

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I think my days of the 10" tom have run it course. The reason? My 10" toms just don't have the ooomph I'm looking for. Volume-wise and sustain-wise I'm looking for more. After hearing a 12" tom tuned to the range where I tune my 10" tom to...I'm preferring the 12" where a 10 would go.

I could even see me being OK with 2 - 12's on my bass drum.
But a 12/13 for racks...I think I'm going in that direction. I have an extra 13" Ludwig tom in WMP that I am going to start using with my white onyx (wmp) PDP gig set/kit

I haven't done it yet but this coming Wednesday I'm going to make the change. OMG I will be playing a mismatched set out for the very first time. They are the same color, just different lugs and badge, so most people won't even notice.

Tastes are a funny thing. They change without warning. I'm thinking of having Andy make me a 13" segmented walnut tom for my favorite black girl :)

I'm thinking of having Andy make me a 13" segmented walnut tom for my favorite black girl :)

Nah, just give Yolanda away.

Would you like my address?

There's a reason 12 and 13 were standard on kits, Larry.

Ahhh I knew you'd come around Larry. 10's have their place, but to me mostly make a 'doink' or 'dschoo' sounds, not the 'boomph' I look for in tom sounds. 13 is my fave size up there.

I've taken the 10 off my kit too. No new size added, just a one up one down.

Nah, just give Yolanda away.

Would you like my address?

Mitch you'd be first in line. To be on the receiving end. Of my laughter :p

There's a reason 12 and 13 were standard on kits, Larry.

Right? They knew what they were doing. I like one tom with a high note. They just sound better coming from a 12" tom. I have to replicate the Motown Benny Benjamin 12" tom note as the first note of the 6 stroke roll pickup on many of those great songs. that's what I'm hearing. I think Benny invented that pickup.

Ahhh I knew you'd come around Larry. 10's have their place, but to me mostly make a 'doink' or 'dschoo' sounds, not the 'boomph' I look for in tom sounds. 13 is my fave size up there.

Doink and dshoo not boomph! I can't believe you used those words! That's exactly how I would describe them too! Not!

I've taken the 10 off my kit too. No new size added, just a one up one down.

No one cares what you think.

OMG I'm kidding lighten up!

Sorry Dog I couldn't resist, are we OK?

What GURU size toms do you own?

Do the Guru toms have the same general sonic properties as your other drums, for example does a Guru 10" tom have no "oomph"?

I'm with you Uncle!

When I started playing I loved the high note of a 10" tom. So much so that I was delighted to find a matching tom for the Exports that I had. And then ended up reverting to the 12-13-16 tom set up.

The Mapex M Birch kit that I currently have came as a 6 piece, but I tend to ignore the 10" tom, and will leave it at home when I play out.

Right now I'm playing 8,10,12 on top and 14 and 16 on the floor on my home (Guru) kit.

I love it. I tune the small drums for max sustain and the floors for a little less.

I hear what you're saying but I have played 4-5 piece kits on almost every gig except for bigger tours and I want the whole tonal range now when I have the choice. Since there's no way I'm bringing all that gear on a gig. that means the home kit

I almost always play mic'ed, even at home so that changes things a bit.

Frankly, as far as drum sizes, it's all a BS guessing game. Why must toms go up
in inch intervals? It's just what the manufacturers decided to make due to their tooling. Maybe the toms should be 1.1278 inches different in size or just a percentage increase but we have inches and that's the way it is.

The "reason" why they made 12" and 13" toms had nothing to do with some enlightened concept of tonality on the drumset. It was what the company could easily get tooling for and so they went with it.

I have long been a fan of 12 and 13 inch high toms with 14 and 16 floor toms.
Such a nice combination.

"I think my days of the 10" tom have run it course." Say it ain't so? Well the Walnut one is still "purdie" to look at-and ever once in awhile don'tcha need that high note? Seems a sin to not play it-and it matches the rest of Yolanda so well (wouldn't it be like cutting off an arm?). Well you should at least find it a good home for wayward 10 in toms. Did I mention I like 10 in toms=even wayward ones ;)

Not me Lar, my 10" drums do something my other drums can't do. I don't always use them (I have a couple of decently stocked "shell banks" of Yamaha MCANs and Live Customs and take out what I need depending on the gig) but I find they occupy a sonic space in the mix with a richer tone than a 12" tuned up to the same pitch. And I'm not able to get the intervals I prefer between 12s and 13s while still having each drum sounding their best.

But enjoy the adventure brother, "variety's the spice of life," and all of that. Also, I'm going to call all the venues you play and tell them to spread the word that the drummer has a mismatched drum. ;-)

Not me Lar, my 10" drums do something my other drums can't do. I don't always use them (I have a couple of decently stocked "shell banks" of Yamaha MCANs and Live Customs and take out what I need depending on the gig) but I find they occupy a sonic space in the mix with a richer tone than a 12" tuned up to the same pitch. And I'm not able to get the intervals I prefer between 12s and 13s while still having each drum sounding their best.

But enjoy the adventure brother, "variety's the spice of life," and all of that. Also, I'm going to call all the venues you play and tell them to spread the word that the drummer has a mismatched drum. ;-)

I'm with you, Spleen. I like 10s. A 12" tightened up simply isn't the same. I think that's what Larry likes about it, but it isn't for me. :)

3 of them. No EQ - use good headphones.

https://youtu.be/JgFt6QFzfEM?t=1m6s

You decide :)

Yeah that 10 x 11.5 has plenty of oomph!. All great sounding 10" toms. But to my ear only the 10 x 11.5 had oomph.

I was wondering if Larry has any 10" Gurus that he thought were too wimpy for his taste.
I was gonna' recommend different heads and lower tuning on the Guru 10's he might have.

Yeah that 10 x 11.5 has plenty of oomph!. All great sounding 10" toms. But to my ear only the 10 x 11.5 had oomph.

I was wondering if Larry has any 10" Gurus that he thought were too wimpy for his taste.
I was gonna' recommend different heads and lower tuning on the Guru 10's he might have.

The middle 10" has plenty of body too, but tuning is higher to sit in with the range of the three toms. Larry's 10" Guru toms have a ton of "oomph", especially compared to many 10" toms. This is more about Larry's tastes than it is about the performance of one 10" tom vs. another.

I've done plenty of gigs with one 10" tom as the only mounted tom, & they deliver just fine (according to my taste), even unmic'd in a full sounding rock setting.

Try this - https://youtu.be/2kk-gtaNJu0?t=40s

Back