Papa Was a Rolling Stone....

Chollyred

https://youtu.be/pJV2pWFyfn4

Anybody ever played this? Basically nothing but hats and kick for almost 12 minutes, but requires dead steady timing.

I was invited to audition for a 60s - 70s party soul group; totally out of my genre although I absolutely LOVE the music. Not sure I'm going for this one...

It's like a lot of the blues and R&B songs; it's all about the groove and the grid. This song in particular seems to go on forever, and it's all about the layers and motific development that build behind the singer(s).

Marcus Miller just put out an instrumental version of theis song where the bass takes the head; worth checking out. It's on the jazz radio channels here every hour, or you could always check it out on Youtube.

Wow I never heard the original. I thought the Temps recorded it first. Thank you for that Mr. Headbanger.

Wow! I, too, thought that the Temps version WAS the original.

Cool! And definitely worth a few listens! Interesting to see how Whitfield and Strong changed the song when given a second crack at it. I think they improved it, but this version is still kick-ass.

wow.. grew up here in detroit and had no idea the Temps version wasn't original either.. BUT. after hearing the other one i will stick with temps :)

And to the OP.. yeah 12 mins of that beat.. i could never do it.. I tend to start day dreaming and will drop here and there..

The closest song to this that I can relate to is Green Onions. I used to play it in a band a while back and every time I played it I would make a point of never wavering, never played a fill, and just locked in and chugged along. It was probably my favourite song that we played in that band.

Back