Drumtuner CD, and tuning to notes

kettles

Gold Member
I found this in an old issue of Modern Drummer. Just wondered if anybody has one and what you think? The company's website no longer exists. I think it would be great to have a sound library of all different sizes of drums at different tunings to help less skilled tuners to learn the craft as well as get their drums sounding how they should. I'm often sitting there trying to get my drums sounding good, and find myself thinking "This would be so much easier if I knew where I was meant to be going". My tuning skills are adequate for what I need, but I'd be lying if I said I s able to get the most out of my kit all of the time.

Why don't drum manufacturers provide a CD filled with different tunings for the kit you just bought? It wouldn't take much, surely a good drum tech in a studio for a day could smash out a bunch of different tunings for the most common drum sizes. Seems counter productive to sell kits but not ensure the buyer is getting the most out of it. Car companies give things like free check ups, servicing when you buy a new car, it's not a good look if their cars were failing within a few years of purchase. A new kit buyer is new exposure for a company, surely they'd want that exposure to be as good as possible.

Something else - I have tried tuning my toms to specific notes using the piano trick. But I cannot compare the pitches for the life of me. Guess my pitch recognition just isn't developed enough. So I figured if I sampled each of my drums and loaded those samples into something like Ableton Live, it would be much easier to tune to specific notes as the sampler can tell me what note the drum is, and play back the same sample at any other chromatic pitch. It would be much easier to compare the notes when it's the same sound. Any thoughts? Is there a way to do this already?

Attachments

• DSC08082.JPG
    DSC08082.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 149
Something else - I have tried tuning my toms to specific notes using the piano trick. But I cannot compare the pitches for the life of me. Guess my pitch recognition just isn't developed enough.

Seems this would be a good bonus to include with a new kit. It would have helped me out when I first re-started over. I had no other choice but to start tuning to notes (actually a keyboard) because of my lack of tuning skills. At first, it was nearly impossible to duplicate the pitch from the keyboard to each lug...until I did the Bob Gatzen trick - where he hums the pitch. Works like a charm now and less humming after all the tuning practice. Cool Youtube video he does for tuning the snare, if you haven't seen it already.

Each of my drums has the note written on the head...

Back