worst way to be dumped by a band

I was tossed out of a hip hop funk band for "not being black enough"

that is hilarious! im sorry man... but i just LOLed. i heard the same thing from my current bass players old band. my bass player, drew, is white, and replaced their black bass player. the bands reason for his replacement was that he "did not play like a true black man." he showed up at their next gig to watch and saw white drew in a black band and was furious. got up on stage and started yelling at drew and the lead singer. drew was terrified.

its weird how these things happen.

right now i am replacing the drummer for a bands summer tour. while the band is really excited about summer, he has been complaining about the road and making small threats about being done with it all. they have been auditioning new drummers but havent told him. i kinda feel bad, but he has put unnecessary stress on the rest of the band. my first show with them is this friday... well see what happens then.

right now i am replacing the drummer for a bands summer tour. while the band is really excited about summer, he has been complaining about the road and making small threats about being done with it all. they have been auditioning new drummers but havent told him. i kinda feel bad, but he has put unnecessary stress on the rest of the band. my first show with them is this friday... well see what happens then.

You are playing with people who are jerking around the current drummer, and you are helping them. Do you really want to be in a band with people like that?

If the current drummer is sending signs that he doesn't want to do this anymore, or is otherwise unfit to continue, the band needs to have a come-to-Jesus talk with him and work it out or fire him. Auditioning people behind their back is very bad juju and don't be surprised if this current band is, or could be, using you as part of some cruel trick. See above posts for ideas.

You are playing with people who are jerking around the current drummer, and you are helping them. Do you really want to be in a band with people like that?

If the current drummer is sending signs that he doesn't want to do this anymore, or is otherwise unfit to continue, the band needs to have a come-to-Jesus talk with him and work it out or fire him. Auditioning people behind their back is very bad juju and don't be surprised if this current band is, or could be, using you as part of some cruel trick. See above posts for ideas.

yea, they have talked to him about someone else playing for the summer.

I had a friend, he played a yamaha stage custom. He was in a band, but then he discovered weed and counterstrike. He smoked the weed for a long time and played the counterstrike. He wasn't contacted by his band for months.. things got suspicious.

In the end, he discovered that his mentor.. the drummer who inspired him, one of his best friends, had been practising with his band, and replaced him. I think that's pretty harsh!

The band no longer exists now!
Remember kids, say no to drugs(tm) ! etc
(please dont bash me :))

Thankfully, I have yet to be removed from a musical outfit, unceremoniously or otherwise. Some of these stories are quite harrowing; not something I intend to experience.

i too have been fortunate not to have been 'unceremoniously' or otherwise dumped by a band. well, at least not nearly as harshly as some of these prior examples...

my own fear is one day showing up for a gig and finding another drummer already there getting set up...

Then he drops the bombshell. The leader wants to bring in another drummer - his friend and drummer from another band he plays in.

Neither the young pastor, nor the leader had the guts to tell me themselves! No reason given, no warning. Just he wants to bring in the drummer from his other band.

After seven months of volunteering and being absent only once for illness I was sacked. But get this, they wanted to still use my equipment and wanted me to train as an audio tech up in their sound booth "helping" with audio and visual.

Man, this sucks, why couldnt' they make up a roster so both of you could play or better yet have turn about on drums and auxillary percussion.
The church I attend has 3 drummers including myself rostered and another 2 who fill in occasionally. Church should be about inclusion and encouragement.

I had been practicing for weeks prior to a music festival and had all the songs totally sorted.
Then our lead singer rang me and said his son (who is a drummer) was going to be at the festival and would be playing drums for the band.
When the band played their set the music was really sloppy because the young drummer wasn't familliar with the songs.
I couldn't stay and listen because I was so frustrated.

I knew a guy that was kicked out of a band mid-set! No joke--the band had a couple of rehearsals with the new drummer and had an elaborate scheme all worked out. During the 3rd song, the singer stopped the music and asked if there were any drummers in the audience who could do "better". Their planted drummer took the stage and proceeded to play the rest of the show after the singer roused the audience to cheer for the drummer who "didn't know the songs, but could play them better than their current drummer". What a rotten thing to do! Obviously, there was a three-person altercation that followed the gig...

That is ice cold. If I had been the drummer getting replaced I would have grabbed the snare and pedal so the next guy couldn't play much. Even if it was a house set. Bill me later.

If a singer surprised me that way and expected me to give up my kit to some stranger from the audience, I'd be like, "Yeah, right." That drummer should not have caved.

No kidding! I'm a nice guy, but I do believe someone, or maybe a couple of people might have gotton their nose socked. Hasn't everyone dreamed of punching a lead singer? That guy missed his chance!

That is ice cold. If I had been the drummer getting replaced I would have grabbed the snare and pedal so the next guy couldn't play much. Even if it was a house set. Bill me later.

No kidding! That dude would've been kit-less if that was my drums up there. That's one of the worse firing stories I've ever heard.

BTW............GO WINGS!

Ive played two shows in my life with only a bass drum (including pedal) hi hat, 1 rack tom, one floor tom, and one crash cymbal... It was ALOT of fun.

I remember when i was replaced, man it sucks whether it's done nicely or harshly but obviously harsh would be worse. I was in a band for a few months, playing things i didn't usually play or particularly liked like Incubus, Lenny Kravitz and some soft rock stuff. I loved double bass back then lol and i still do although i didn't use it very much and i used it when i thought it was needed. I received a text from my mate the lead guitarist saying that it wasn't working. I automatically assumed that it was the whole band and asked if we were splitting and he said no just you. Then i received texts saying that they had been hinting on saying use less double bass, the funny thin is that they never said a word to me about my playing at all so how was i to know? I felt like crap needless to say i didn't talk to them for a while and when i did show up at practice for my other band, they were there and i still felt awful. In fact the only one i talked to was the drummer who is also my mate. However then they replaced my mate on lead guitar and we are both in a band together again, something really heavy which i have always wanted to do and its going great! I guess these things happen for a reason. It's even harder when they are your friends cause you feel betrayed but from now on i try to separate bands from friends so if anything does happen in the future i won't be as upset about it.

I knew a guy that was kicked out of a band mid-set! No joke--the band had a couple of rehearsals with the new drummer and had an elaborate scheme all worked out. During the 3rd song, the singer stopped the music and asked if there were any drummers in the audience who could do "better". Their planted drummer took the stage and proceeded to play the rest of the show after the singer roused the audience to cheer for the drummer who "didn't know the songs, but could play them better than their current drummer". What a rotten thing to do! Obviously, there was a three-person altercation that followed the gig...

I have to say that is disgusting, i would have taken my gear right there and then and spat on the singer and would then have proceeded to pour my pint over his head. You'd think people would have the decency to fire someone before hand and not humiliate them during a show. Humiliating someone on a skill level is absolutely dreadful, this is a case of bullying in my opinion.

I have to say that is disgusting, i would have taken my gear right there and then and spat on the singer and would then have proceeded to pour my pint over his head. You'd think people would have the decency to fire someone before hand and not humiliate them during a show. Humiliating someone on a skill level is absolutely dreadful, this is a case of bullying in my opinion.

Agreed, except for the pouring of the pint. I would have instead, drank the pint, then bashed the singer into the twilight zone with the bottle and/or glass that it came in.

Agreed, except for the pouring of the pint. I would have instead, drank the pint, then bashed the singer into the twilight zone with the bottle and/or glass that it came in.

Very good point, why waste the pint? Drink and then smash i like your logic.

That guy should read Nutha's thing about why its bad to let others play your drums.

Back