The Heel Toe Thread

Re: Videos of Heel toe bass method

Heel toe and pedal tension:

While I did start with the out of the box low tension, I moved on.

I find that tension, like alcohol is best in moderation. I see no value in cranking the spring so tight you actually have to fight to overcome the pull. And too dead, it's working against you-it lacks action.

I found the best response for any given style is between 1/3 and 2/3 of total spring tension range.

The pedal should be alive enough to rapidly rebound.

I feel sorry for youngsters just starting on this. They usually have to suffere through a super crappy single or ultra crappy double pedal to start on. I played one in July attached to a friends e-kit. It was amazing how much control is lost, and effort wasted due to poor action and construction.

If you guys want to get serious about double kick, make sure you use a solid pedal. Some of the affordable pearl and tama are decent for the money. But almost all of the $69 double pedals I have tried are terrible.

Last edited:

i'm in complete agreement. i would say that your pedal should be the most expensive thing on your kit. as early as possible in your career, before you get a second crash or up-grade your cymbals and snare, save up and get a pro quality bass pedal. the positive effect on your progress as a drummer cannot be exaggerated. rather bear with a horrible sounding kit for another two years and have a great pedal (and therefore begin developing great pedal technique). you wouldn't play drums with toilet brushes or a pair of baseball bats so why suffer a crummy pedal. if your pedal costs less than 10% of the total cost of all your gear (for example a £3000 drumkit including cymbals and cases should have at least a £300 pedal) then you are shooting yourself in the foot, LOL.

j

Ps: look up the meaning of false economy.

I disagree when you say it should be the most expensive piece of gear on your kit, but I agree in principle. Why play with a bad pair of sticks? The bass pedal IMO is just as important (arguably more, because you're stuck with it when you buy it) as sticks. I use a DW5000 Turbo single now and it was a big upgrade from my Pearl P-100TW (double). It's made a nice difference and I feel a lot better about my kit knowing at least one part of it is of that standard.

Although, it doesn't have to be the most expensive piece of gear. Mine cost me £99 (special deal at Wembley, Nutha, if you want a backup), my ride cost me £140.

mediocrefunkybeat said:
I disagree when you say it should be the most expensive piece of gear on your kit, but I agree in principle. Why play with a bad pair of sticks? The bass pedal IMO is just as important (arguably more, because you're stuck with it when you buy it) as sticks. I use a DW5000 Turbo single now and it was a big upgrade from my Pearl P-100TW (double). It's made a nice difference and I feel a lot better about my kit knowing at least one part of it is of that standard.

Although, it doesn't have to be the most expensive piece of gear. Mine cost me £99 (special deal at Wembley, Nutha, if you want a backup), my ride cost me £140.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. A good bass pedal is important but it doesn't have to be the most expensive. My Eliminator was $109 and that's cheaper than any cymbal I've ever bought, other than a splash.

i got one on my pc, but i dont know where i can uploade videos.

mediocrefunkybeat said:

My pedal is probably the least expensive thing on my kit, I got it off a friend for twenty quid :)

Tama Iron Cobra single. I've yet to try anything I like significantly better.

i tried the heel toe technique and its working with my right foot but not the left. Good technique indeed but not for me. And those who say that can play with heel up faster thant the video exercise, normal, the video is for learning, not showing off :p

out of thread----
I have 2 bass drum, should i get a double pedal or 2 separate pedals? because if i want a decent pedal (what im planning to do because my pedals feel horrible, they are the stock pedals) like exemple iron cobra that is around 130$ new, its 2 time for me so 260$ plus tax so its kinda costy. if i buy a double pedal , i will be able to play with 1 or two bass drum depending on how i feel, but is it more costy than 2 pedals?

Capitaine Quebec said:
i tried the heel toe technique and its working with my right foot but not the left. Good technique indeed but not for me. And those who say that can play with heel up faster thant the video exercise, normal, the video is for learning, not showing off :p

out of thread----
I have 2 bass drum, should i get a double pedal or 2 separate pedals? because if i want a decent pedal (what im planning to do because my pedals feel horrible, they are the stock pedals) like exemple iron cobra that is around 130$ new, its 2 time for me so 260$ plus tax so its kinda costy. if i buy a double pedal , i will be able to play with 1 or two bass drum depending on how i feel, but is it more costy than 2 pedals?

I went to 1 kick to save space, and because I liked th dw9002/eliminator so much. But:
I am considering building a twin kick maple shelled kit that replicates most of Neil Pearts red artstar kit. I would go to twin eliminators in that case. I do so for personal aesthetics and looks, but not necessity. Twin pedals are so good these days, there really isn't much need for two of the same sized kick.

My philosophy is: use two if you feel better with them. twin kick kits look very cool indeed.

jedrgy said:
It says the link was removed by the administrator could somebody email me the link here... [email protected] ... thanks

The link was removed because the video is copyright material. You can buy the Heel-Toe Technique video online for a reasonable price ($9.95), and the money helps in the development of future videos.

Rick, do you have any plans to sell DVD's along with the downloadable versions?

thinshells said:
I went to 1 kick to save space, and because I liked th dw9002/eliminator so much. But:
I am considering building a twin kick maple shelled kit that replicates most of Neil Pearts red artstar kit. I would go to twin eliminators in that case. I do so for personal aesthetics and looks, but not necessity. Twin pedals are so good these days, there really isn't much need for two of the same sized kick.
Well the thing is that when i bought my drum, it came with 2 bass drum, it was reducted, plus everything was, in the store, at a normal price with taxe, i saved about 900$ which is good i think. I thought myself "Great two base drum=no need for dbl bass drum pedal" yeah right... at the beggining i didnt care about my pedals, now i do. They feel crappy and i hear this metal sound when i try to go faster with them. My friend keep telling me "no they are great keep them" when i tell him that i absolutely want to change them. So any suggestion on pedal? i think i will buy a double pedal and keep my 2 bass drum so i will be able to get 2 different sound. Any suggestion on what to get? i dont know if the iron cobra dbl worth their 300 $...

Do those of you who have the video think its worth the 10 bucks??

Capitaine Quebec said:
Well the thing is that when i bought my drum, it came with 2 bass drum, it was reducted, plus everything was, in the store, at a normal price with taxe, i saved about 900$ which is good i think. I thought myself "Great two base drum=no need for dbl bass drum pedal" yeah right... at the beggining i didnt care about my pedals, now i do. They feel crappy and i hear this metal sound when i try to go faster with them. My friend keep telling me "no they are great keep them" when i tell him that i absolutely want to change them. So any suggestion on pedal? i think i will buy a double pedal and keep my 2 bass drum so i will be able to get 2 different sound. Any suggestion on what to get? i dont know if the iron cobra dbl worth their 300 $...

The least expensive decent pedal is probably the iron cobra junior or pearls equivalent. There is a madrange mapex (580 IIRC ) that isn't bad. Those are good starting points. If you go too cheap you will be fighting with a bad design.

jedrgy said:
Do those of you who have the video think its worth the 10 bucks??

I had the video back when it first came out, and I'd say yes. Rick made the video very informative and leaves no stone unturned or question unanswered about the technique.

IIRc Steve Smiths "History of the US beat" shows both heel toe and heel up.

fourstringdrums said:
Rick, do you have any plans to sell DVD's along with the downloadable versions?

Yes, I am definately interested in getting DVDs made soon. Stay tuned to the Heel Toe Technique website for more info. Should be coming very soon.

After reading the posts and watching some videos on the heel toe technique, I now see that a longboard pedal isn't necessary to use the technique...but would a longboard make it easier on someone with large feet? Or would it be easier just to learn it on a regular sized pedal?

Back