I'm really feeling the Ludwig love lately...

I agree, I own a Ludwig Legacy Classic Liverpool 4 set and I frequently play my engraved Black Beauty with it. It is a great combination. I am using the Legacy Classic kit at my gig this Saturday and I have decided to bring the matching 5 x 14 Legacy snare drum and a 6.5 x 14 Ludwig COB supra with brass plated diecast hoops, tube lugs and P86 strainer. Not sure which I will use right now. It all depends on the room.

Ludwig drums have a cool sound and IMHO the Legacy Classics are the best of the bunch.

The 1920's BB in that video sounds amazing. I didn't care for the kick drum sound, but loved the toms.

When you are in love then no one should stand in your way.
Steve has a way of making you feel the love :)
I know that I feel the love when I play the vintage 68 Ludwig kit that I bought from him a few weeks ago.
My advice to you is to go to sleep. If you keep waking up because you want to buy the drum then you should buy the drum.
That is how I bought my Ludwig kit from Steve. I kept waking up and thinking about it. I bought it so that I could sleep!

Last edited:
When I get to heaven, drumsets will all sound like that. Beautiful.

To me, there is just something special about Ludwig. Not only the drums, but what the Ludwig family has contributed to the drumming world. When I first started playing (50 years ago) there was the Ludwig solo book for contest. There was the Ludwig support from dealers, and so much more. Ludwig showed up in timpani, drum kits, and marching drums. Their name was everywhere, and they made a huge impact on promoting drumming. Ludwig is more than a set, or a vintage snare, it is their presence in everything percussion for decades, and I am so grateful to them and the traditions that they established, and continue. On top of that, they still build drums with that elusive "Ludwig" sound.

Aside from the great sound and irresistible charm, The thing that I like second to the aforementioned about vintage Ludwig drums is that you can buy Ludwig parts to upgrade and modernize your vintage kit that will not take away from it. The company has remained in business and they still make parts for their classic kits.
I am in the process of installing mounts that will accept memory locks for the floor tom legs, rack tom mount, and bass drum spurs of my vintage Ludwig kit. The replacement parts will fit the hole pattern and look like they belong on the kit since it was new.
It will just make it easier and faster for me to set up and enjoy my vintage Ludwig kit.

To me, there is just something special about Ludwig. Not only the drums, but what the Ludwig family has contributed to the drumming world. When I first started playing (50 years ago) there was the Ludwig solo book for contest. There was the Ludwig support from dealers, and so much more. Ludwig showed up in timpani, drum kits, and marching drums. Their name was everywhere, and they made a huge impact on promoting drumming. Ludwig is more than a set, or a vintage snare, it is their presence in everything percussion for decades, and I am so grateful to them and the traditions that they established, and continue. On top of that, they still build drums with that elusive "Ludwig" sound.

I feel the same way, even though I've been in love with the Slingerland company as well, them being my first set of drums. It's like a once-in-a-lifetime thing: Ludwig was totally in the right place at the right time for everything they've done. Even when their quality control went down some from churning out Ringo kits too quickly, to some strange decisions in the 80s (like making their drums the heaviest things on the planet) the name lives on. I've said this before, but they are like Harley-Davidson for motorcycles, Fender and Gibson for guitars - just iconic.

Granted, I like the fact that there are so many other manufacturers to give us all the choices we could ever want, but you say "Ludwig" and everyone has some kind of nostalgic memory about it (or maybe I should say most folks). How would that feel to know that everyone from a certain period played your brand of drums? They're like Ford! Amazing.

I do like the bass drum sound on the video. A little over modulation on the recording (I suspect due to proximity effect on the close mic), but other than that, it's how a classic Ludwig bass drum should sound to my ears.

Sounds much bigger than I was expecting - although not surprising giving the baseball bat bearing edges. In fact it didn't sound like a stereotypical jazz kit to me. But, I'm clearly novice on such matters.

I loved the fact that the snare was no longer for sale.

Brilliant

Davo

To me, there is just something special about Ludwig. .

I switch around my practice kits every 4 months or so. Just finished with my Gretsch Renowns which are awesome. Then setup the '63 Ludwig club dates, played for a few minutes and ahhh, fuzzy feeling overcame me, like "yes this is it" ... the sound of all the music I've ever loved... Sappy but true. Ludwigs have the forever mojo.

They are just great sounding drums and talk about recapturing the vintage 60's Ludwig sound.Just magic.

Steves an excellent drummer and you can hear a lot of Joe Morellos influence in his playing style.Very musical and sprinkled with bursts of serious speed and chops.Always interesting

His playing even sounds better with those Ludwigs

Bravo Steve and Ludwig.Grand slam,tie score,bottom of the ninth.:):)

Steve B

Last edited:
Steve Maxwell has MANY vids of the Craviotto sets.. and he freakin' goes on about them like they are from another planet.. "State of the Art this.. State of the Art that ... "

I am still waiting to be blown away..

Steve Maxwell has MANY vids of the Craviotto sets.. and he freakin' goes on about them like they are from another planet.. "State of the Art this.. State of the Art that ... "

I am still waiting to be blown away..
NO,,, Don't GO INTO THE LIGHT!!! Stay Away From The Light !!! Im talkin Steven Spielberg here people!

Ludwig aside, boy can that man play.

oowee- 3:20-3:50!

He really doesnt even look like a drummer. Personally thought the rack and floor were tuned pretty closely for my taste. Would have liked the floor a little lower bit so nice overall and the playing was killer.

Steve Maxwell, now there's a guy who must have a very interesting life. Can you imagine?

Steve is a great guy

I'm lucky enough to get to hang with him pretty regularly at his NY store when he is in town ....I have become a pretty regular customer over there.

Steve has pretty much carte blanche wherever he goes

hell of a life for sure

Back