MAPEX Vs TRUTH???

Mike Griff

I am currently looking at purchasing a new kit for touring and have been lucky enough to have been approached by both Mapex and Truth drums with regards to endorsing the companies. I would be looking at a Saturn Series mapex (possibly orion if they offer a sweet deal) and would appreciate any info and experience people may have with the drums and possibly the companies as at the moment i can't make up my mind???

:S

I don't know enough about either, but my bet would be on Mapex because they are a very aggressive global company that's on the move that has been grabbing market share away for the big 5 over the past 3 years.

Their endorsement roster seems to be growing and they are making their presence felt in every market by good value offerings. They are putting the scare into all the big-name players these days.

As far as the drums go, I'm sure both would be good, and do the job.

I've heard three Truth kits- all medium sized touring bands, all sounded fantastic- certainly on par with DW and other pro level kits. I haven't heard many Mapex kits (only one dealer I know of around here, and they do a terrible job with them), so I can't compare.

It is worth noting that Truth appears to only go after Christian and/or family friendly acts... at least that's what I gather from glancing down their artist list.

personally, i would go with Mapex.

their kits are amazing!
not downing Truth, but...Truth uses Keller Maple/Birch shells(nothing wrong with those either)
with Mapex Orions, you can combine other woods...like walnut/maple/birch..for instance...just an example...

and saying Truth only tries the christian based artists...lol...not true....

Atreyu, Paramore..just a few of Truth endorsee's.

but that's just me..

Alex

and saying Truth only tries the christian based artists...lol...not true....

Atreyu, Paramore..just a few of Truth endorsee's.

Never heard of 'em. :) All the bands I know on that list are Christian except for the Jonas Brothers. Meh.

Ok so lets look at this from a little different perspective.

As I understand it you have the opportunity to be endorsed by either Mapex or Truth.

Forget about the kits, face it at the pro level they both make great drums. The real issue is who has the most to offer, who will treat you best?

The way I see see it from the outside looking in, and I may be off base here but.

Mapex is a huge Taiwan company vs. Truth that is a small custom shop.

I am just guessing but I would think Truth would be more accessible directly to you. But in contrast Mapex is all over the world.

My advice is to talk seriously to both and see what they have to offer in addition to drums.

This is a business transaction, take the emotion out of it. get all of the facts and compare what they have to offer. You will know what the right decision is.

Cheers for the comments so far guys, its still early days in my decision making and i'm not planning on rushing into anything.

The points brought up so far are the main issues that i'm struggling with really, these being

Mapex - Great sounding drums, Huge worldwide company (this could benefit me as they could support me on a very large scale, or i could be placed at the bottom of a large list of current successful drummers???)

Truth - Also great sounding, benefits of custom build, smaller company (outside UK and US will they be able to offer support???)

This may take a while :S

There in lies the rub, (Always wanted to say that, lol). We all hope our drums will not have wardrobe failures and under normal circumstances they won't usually. but if a drum gets dropped and the shell gets cracked, or the equip truck has an accident or fire, Lord forbid anything happens but if it should, ask the reps the time it will take to replace your gear. Truth, though a really good company may take a few days to get your stuff to you, where as Mapex may be hours away.

Cheers for the comments so far guys, its still early days in my decision making and i'm not planning on rushing into anything.

The points brought up so far are the main issues that i'm struggling with really, these being

Mapex - Great sounding drums, Huge worldwide company (this could benefit me as they could support me on a very large scale, or i could be placed at the bottom of a large list of current successful drummers???)

Truth - Also great sounding, benefits of custom build, smaller company (outside UK and US will they be able to offer support???)

This may take a while :S

As was suggested, see what they offer you, and go with it. I will say this. I endorse Silver Fox sticks. It's a great deal for me, but there's also the fact that my artist rep deals with so many people that when I call, I have to remind him who I am. I'm a small fish in a very large pond. It's great to have the deal, and I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's not like I'm getting sticks on Tuesday if I call on Monday and say that I'm out.

I would also examine the contracts, what it means to be an endorser of each company. The person who said that Truth only deals with "family friendly" or outwardly Christian acts was absolutely correct. Even the Jonas Brothers all have their "purity rings" and brag about their virginity. Even artists like Paramore got their start in that realm, playing Purple Door, and, to quote their guitarist, "Our faith is very important to us. It's obviously going to come out in our music because if someone believes something then their worldview is going to come out in anything they do. But we're not out here to preach to kids, we're out here because we love music." That might be an image that you want to project, an image that you don't want to project, or you might not care. But you also may find restrictions in the contract because of their stance. So I would examine all of that.

I own a truth kit and its in a league with any DW or OCDP or really any custom company. . Let me say that they are hands down best drums I have ever played. Geoff, the owner, is such a great guy and just everyone there is awesome and they make amazing products.

I happened to be in Guangzhou in southern China earlier this year doing some consulting. I had some free time and asked a friend to help me find a drum shop. The closest we came was an all-around music shop and there, sitting in the display window, was a beautiful, satin-green Mapex kit. I got a chance to play it for a good ten minutes. Sounded great. Unfortunately, the only cymbals with it were Planet Zs or something similarly ghastly. Apparently, according to the sales guy, it was the only one in town (guess he thought I was going to bring it home in my carry-on). Long story short, if worldwide support is an issue, it's going to be hard to beat Mapex out of those two. Either way, congrats on the endorsement possibilities. Me? I just lost my Planet Z endorsement.

I don't know enough about either, but my bet would be on Mapex because they are a very aggressive global company that's on the move that has been grabbing market share away for the big 5 over the past 3 years.
This is what matters, right here ^

With endorsements, its all about support and Mapex has a far stronger network for assistance than what Truth could offer. On company reliability alone, Mapex is your pick!

Truth make great drums - really great drums. And if it came down to a decision to buy one of their kits, I'd probably consider them.

However, in terms of artist support and resources, Mapex is the way to go. Their kits are really great (based on a few I've seen around - in fact, a Saturn recently had the best sounding bass drum I've heard in ages) and well built and they seem to have a good hand on the market worldwide. Whilst their service and drums may not be as personal as Truth, Mapex do offer you a better service as a company.

Mapex would definitely be the way to go. I'm purchasing an M birch kit in a few months and have actually got to play on one, they're great drums and the services that I've recieved from the company concerning my questions have been outstanding.

Mapex alllllllllllll the way.

I know you shouldn't judge drums for what brand they are but only by how they sound...but go with mapex since they are growing now and I have seen a lot of drummers with them.

They sound very good, and i'm sure truth does too, but go with Mapex %100.

Mapex Mike! It rhymes! And like everyone has said if your band takes off in somewhere like eastern europe your gonna have better chance with mapex to get a kit out there. I own a Saturn and have played truth maple kit i think. prefered my saturn but i'm biased i guess.I think once you really know exactly what the endorsment offeres the decision will be easy.

So now my "conspiracy theory". The OP (MikeG) has 2 posts. Is going to get an endorsement from Truth (but doesn't know anything much about them?) Hmmmmm. Then Justinrock, with 1 post, tells us how great Truth Drums are. 2 weeks gone buy, no more posts from either. Hmmmmmmm. Looks like it could be a case of insidious spamming. I'm just saying...

Mapex would definitely be the way to go. I'm purchasing an M birch kit in a few months and have actually got to play on one, they're great drums and the services that I've recieved from the company concerning my questions have been outstanding.

Have you ever played Truth drums? M birch kits are nice and all, but Truth is a custom drum manufacturer...like DW (only many consider them better than DW). To compare a Truth to an M Birch is not even close...the Truth would be much better than an M Birch.

So now my "conspiracy theory". The OP (MikeG) has 2 posts. Is going to get an endorsement from Truth (but doesn't know anything much about them?) Hmmmmm. Then Justinrock, with 1 post, tells us how great Truth Drums are. 2 weeks gone buy, no more posts from either. Hmmmmmmm. Looks like it could be a case of insidious spamming. I'm just saying...

I think your right Harry.

Back