Your favourite drum fills of all time, EVER!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
You know when you're listening to a song and a drum fill happens that is so much more than just filling-in, it's a musical event that forces you to sit up and take notice, like a little cadenza, and makes you want to straight away go and try and learn it? Where the sound and the playing come together to create something incredibly special just for a moment?

There are some fills that I still find hugely exciting regardless of how many times I've heard them, and I'll listen to them over and over again to try and absorb their greatness though aural osmosis like Charles I rubbing bits of ground-up Egyptian mummies into himself.
These tend to be mainly of the big loud heroic variety, but not always. I thought I'd post some of mine and see if you guys could introduce me to others I might find similarly exciting.

There's the famous one in 'Achilles Last Stand' (at about 1.17)...

...the one that brings the drums back in in the half-time second in Slayer's 'Angel of Death' (1.46)...

...and the two-bar break in the middle of War Ensemble...

...and this one going into the second chorus of 'Fat Bottomed Girls'...

and loads more I'm sure but there's a start! What are yours?

Last time I felt like that it was 'kaleidascope' on Akira Jimbo's 'independence'. I watched that video endlessly when I was about 15. I went off it at some point because it did get a bit cheesy and I got into other stuff but coming back I'm glad I studied this guy as much as I did.

It's in this audio capture of the video @ 2:40

http://nhacso.net/nghe-nhac/kaleidoscope.WVtWUUpY.html

That was then. Probably my favourite fills come from Virgil and Gavin these days.

Last edited:
Pretty much anything Ringo did, and I still marvel at so many of Hal Blaine's fills.

Bermuda

This one. I still can't make it sound like he (Clyde?) does :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A430qOnzyg&feature=player_detailpage#t=155

Where abouts is the fill in the song, sorry?

Last time I felt like that it was 'kaleidascope' on Akira Jimbo's 'independence'. I watched that video endlessly when I was about 15. I went off it at some point because it did get a bit cheesy and I got into other stuff but coming back I'm glad I studied this guy as much as I did.

It's in this audio capture of the video @ 2:40

http://nhacso.net/nghe-nhac/kaleidoscope.WVtWUUpY.html

That was then. Probably my favourite fills come from Virgil and Gavin these days.

That's a great one!

Pretty much anything Ringo did, and I still marvel at so many of Hal Blaine's fills.

Bermuda

Ooh...don't suppose I could press you for a specific example or two, could I?

The one bar monster in the middle of Stairway to Heaven. Comes out of no where and hits you over the head.

I love Mark Brzezicki's drumming with The Cult. One of my favorite fills is on the song "Love" @ 3:59. It pumps me up every time.

That triplet fill on the toms in Tom Sawyer @ 3:22 on the studio version. That's why I love Neil, nobody in the world would have come up with that fill, but it works.

Also, that tasty stuff @ 4:33 in Red Barchetta.

Back