Sharing Your Own Drums At Gigs

Witterings

Silver Member
How does everyone else feel about sharing your drums at gigs, I've got one coming up on Thursday evening and there are 3 other bands playing before us and they want me to take my kit and let everyone else use it albeit bringing their own breakables.
I just can't go in feeling happy about it, I do have a spare kit that I'm not so precious about but even that's not sitting that comfortably with me as it has sentimental value attached to it. The bit I know will pee me off most, it takes me minutes with the memory locks to get everything exactly where I like it but everybody else will have moved all the positions including the cymbal arms to different heights.
Granted I've used "House Kits" at gigs and have had the attitude that if someone else is happy to let everyone else use their kit then that's their choice.
What's everybody else's take on this and am I being anal about it??

why are the other people not taking their kits? is it that they aren't willing, or aren't able to?
either way I would charge the other drummers to use the kit, seeing as you never know how hard some drummers will be hitting and you may well need to replace heads.

Good question dude and others may think differently.

OK...sometimes you 'have' to share a rig depending on change-over time.

But I absolutely refuse to do it anymore. I can get setup pretty quick as most drummers can. Just get your gear ready off stage and then move it up and you're ready.

I was playing last year sometime and the band after me asked if they could use my stuff...being a wuss I said yes and the guy ended up losing the nut to tighten the hi-hat. He played the hat really loose and ended up losing a piece of my gear.

And it's probably good that's the only thing that happened. It was clear he didn't give a crap about my gear since he didn't buy it.

So, while I am 'on the bench' now and not in an active band I have no interest in letting others play my gear. I'd make an exception for bands/players I know and am familiar with.

You could let everyone know that the condition is they don't move/reposition any of your drums.

Other than that, if you're really not feeling this, ask if someone else can provide the kit and you'll play that.

why are the other people not taking their kits? is it that they aren't willing, or aren't able to?
either way I would charge the other drummers to use the kit, seeing as you never know how hard some drummers will be hitting and you may well need to replace heads.

I think it's normal practice at the venue, they do have tight turn around's ie we're scheduled to start at the finish time of the previous band and there's not a huge amount of space to set up at the side or anywhere easy to get a 2nd kit up on stage.

kwolf68
Agree with your comments it's different if you know, personally if I ever broke something on someone else's kit I was using I'd feel obliged to replace it but I know some people don't give a damn !

Dr Watso...that's probably a good disclaimer.

That situation happened to me only 1 time...most drummers like using their own gear and setup. No two drummers play exactly the same setup.

The few times I've been asked, I said "Ok, but keep in mind I'm 6'2", everything on my kit is set to my height, and I have memory locks and pipe clamps on everything, so it is impossible to adjust any of the heights".

The discussion usually ends right there.

It's pretty much the norm in the UK to share kits in your average pub/club venue. Usually its the headliners kit, or a house kit.

I'm not a huge fan of this arrangement, it has its pros and cons. When it's the headliners kit it's usually not too bad, but house kits are sometimes pretty bad. The good thing is though you don't have to pack down your kit, load it up, etc. which saves on wear and tear and of course it's less work.

I've used my Premier XPK's at a fair few gigs over the years and people have always been pretty respectful. I used my Sonors recently at a gig and the only person who didn't treat it how I'd like is the sound guy. The drummers loved it though and were careful.

Now I only used the Sonors as it was the bass players birthday and it was basically bands he had invited, so it was his night - normally they'd stay at home unless it is just me using them. If I only had this kit I definitely would not be taking them to every gig and letting everyone play on them.

At the end of the day if you're not happy you need to just say no I think. It's happened before at gigs I've played at where the headliner will not let people use there kit, and if the other drummers think you're stuck up, well that's there problem really.

Yeah that has it's advantages and disadvantages. Every so often you get drummers who don't respect anyone or anyone's expensive gear and they trash it.

I like DrumEatDrum's reponse. Set everything with memory locks and tell them.

The only time I've let another drummer use my kit recently has been when we asked another band to open for us and it was understood by all parties in both bands I would let their drummer use my kit. I didn't mind since he had a great reputation and was a great guy. I knew he would respect the kit.

It actually worked out great because I got to stand at the back of the room and listen to my drums while someone else played them.

I've had to share/provide on occasion, and I set all my gear with memory locks--ALL stands, arms, floor tom legs too. My cymbal stands have those hose clamps (to the tube size) where I have the leg span at, and all my placements are marked on my rug.

People can move stuff, because it takes a minute or two to put everything back anyway.

I make sure it is known to the promoter that every drummer MUST use their own snare, cymbals, sticks, & pedal(s) (and anything else they want to use).
No exceptions.

You don't bring your stuff, you don't play. Sorry.

It's also not MY job to contact the bands/drummers, it's the promoter/venue/gig bookers responsibility.
However, if you do have the other bands email addresses, a nice email stating what you have available and also what is expected on their end doesn't hurt--and covers you since they will know beforehand, no excuses.

It also helps (in keeping an eye on your stuff) by helping the others along in getting set to play. YOU can keep an eye on what's coming and going.
Nothing gets messed up if you aren't "on the sidelines".
Also, it's YOUR GEAR so if someone is abusive, confront them and the band/promoter. At the very least, they would never be able to use your gear again.
Might be a big deal if you are the main draw, and they are playing in front of your people to gain exposure.

You don't have to be a prick about stuff, but you shouldn't have to be a pushover either.

Good luck!!!

Rogue: I agree with you there, if it's a player who you know and trust; hearing your drums being played well by someone else is great because it can help you with anything you want to dial in tuning wise and also let's you hear vaguely what other people hear when you're on the kit.

In fact that's what lead me to stop using muffling the hell out of my bass drum; had a gig where the kick was stuffed with pillows and the drummer (whom I knew) asked if he could take them out, I thought "there's no harm in that I guess", in short I was blown away with the sound and since then have only used a very light single pillow as opposed to turning the thing into a laundery basket!

Karl: the e-mail thing is a great piece of advice, I've done this myself for a couple of years now and it does a lot to ease the mind and also makes you more approachable! I find that setting the ground rules out in a friendly, polite manner inclines other drummers to be more respectful of your equipment because you're not so much of a "stranger" when they meet you.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev

Personally, if there was no way around it. I would tell them to bring their own cymbals in a cymbal bag (I am sure everyone could do that) and charge the drummers however much new heads would be. I know plenty of stupid drummers that would play a kit harder than their own, just because its not theirs. Especially if it is a better kit than theirs. However, I am sure a majority would treat the kit with respect.
Its your choice, but I would set up some strong terms first.

Thanks for all the replies, I've just done a really nice e-mail back spelling out exactly what most people have said in terms of bringing breakables and saying if anything gets broken then it's replaced - especially as it's an unpaid gig we're kind of doing as a favour and I'd be totally peed off if you're paid nothing and it costs you £20, 30 or £40 in replacing skins or anything else !!!
I play for the love of playing and as a hobby so if it's unpaid I really don't mind but when it starts costing you money because of somebody else then I'd have an issue with it !!!
I'll let you know Friday if my kit's still in one piece :)

PS - forgot to mention, drummers bringing their own cymbals and snare drum is usually a given. I've never seen anyone share their snare drum or cymbals, and usually everyone brings their own pedals too, often their own hardware too.

If any drummer turned up with those items, they'd probably not get to play unless another drummer was feeling very charitable.

Snare, cymbals, pedals, stool, sticks - all of these should be brought by each drummer. The only thing any other drummer should be using is your toms and bass drum.

Get the contact details for the other bands from the promoter and give them a ring/email them before the gig, to let them know its your kit, and you would like them to treat it as they would their own. Most are usually cool with that. Let them know that they will incur any charges for damaged equipment, and make sure the promoter knows this as well.

A bit of common courtesy (and common sense) from all sides goes a long way.

Tough spot...
I've had to on a few occasions share my kit. However, I will no longer let another drummer use my kit unless I know him and have seen him play personally.

[Story Time]
Early on in my musical adventure I played a gig with a few other bands and my band was the headliner. The group before us asked if they could use some of our gear (drums, guitar and bass amps). I said yes because I knew the singer and the guitarist and both were awesome guys. I figured "birds of a feather" right?
Well, not so much apparently. I happened to also be the event coordinator (that's why we were the headliners really), so I didn't get to watch any of the bands before us.
When I did get on stage to tweak the kit back to how I like it before we played I noticed something was off...
1. He broke all 4 pairs of sticks I had. Every. Last. One.
2. He cracked both of my A Custom fast crashes (17" and 18"). I ended up having to ask the drummer from the opening act (he was the only who stuck around for the rest of the show) if I could borrow sticks. Not only was I humiliated to have to borrow sticks, but they were 2Bs. At the time I was playing 7As. It was not a good night.

That's why I have to both know them personally and see them play before I'll let them use my gear. Oh, and I will never let another drummer borrow sticks. I might give them a pair of sticks since I now keep at least 6 pairs with me, but I'll never loan out what I need.

Back