College auditions, where to start!?

Ikebongo

Hey all,

Just thinking about auditioning for undergrad at a local university and they want you to be able to play in multiple styles. What is a good way to familiarize myself and be able to play all the styles for an audition, not trying to master them or anything just want to be able to keep time and hit accents in each style. If you need a list I could provide but I think they all want the same list of style so you prob already know.

Thanks much.

It's pretty straightforward: Call the professor and talk to him or her about it— whoever is going to hear your audition, then get a number for a grad student at that school and get some lessons to help you prepare, then get to work practicing the stuff they assign you.

It's pretty straightforward: Call the professor and talk to him or her about it— whoever is going to hear your audition, then get a number for a grad student at that school and get some lessons to help you prepare, then get to work practicing the stuff they assign you.

Good idea. Thank you.

Yea it's a good idea to call ahead of time, because you'll know what to prepare but you'll also get on the professors good side. Usually those auditions are pretty laid back, you just go in shake the professors hand sit down and they ask you to play for them. Slow swing, fast swing, swing pattern on the hi hat, Latin groove, funk groove. Stuff like that and throw in a few fills

Also bring brushes because they probably won't ask you to play anything with them but they'll like that you're prepared. Let us know how it goes man good luck to you

If you are preparing to audition for a program that looks for a variety of playing ability like this, you should have—at minimum—the following prepared: a classical piece, a contemporary piece, a jazz piece, and an original piece. Many programs will not require more than one of these, but it’s good to have them on file just in case.

I go into more detail on my blog: https://insidemusicschools.com/2019/02/05/how-to-prepare-for-your-music-college-auditions/

Most programs are going to want you to prepare a two-mallet and a 4-mallet marimba and/or xylophone piece. Maybe a timpani piece too. Do you play marimba/xylophone?

My funny answer would be: ask them where do you send the check for the first years' tuition? Then they'll just let you in without an audition ;)

Serious answer would be, get in touch with them and let them see where you're at without any preparation. That's what they need to see anyway, because they want to replace what you think you know with what they want you to know. So it's all about assimilation. I say if you have sorta handle on some styles already, you're good. If you don't study piano, be prepared to take piano courses there to pass your piano proficiency, and of course, that will translate to any mallet work you'll work on while there. Or do you just want to primarily be a drumset player?

My funny answer would be: ask them where do you send the check for the first years' tuition? Then they'll just let you in without an audition ;)

aunt-becky-meme-2-1552506024713.jpg

Back