Iron Cobra double pedal or Pearl Eliminator double pedal?

gibeachhead

Been looking to upgrade my old double pedal which is a very cheap one and unresponsive.

I was looking at either the Iron Cobra double pedal: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-Iron-Cobra-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal?sku=429922

Or the Pearl Eliminator double pedal: http://accessories.musiciansfriend....werShifter-Eliminator-Double-Pedal?sku=448271

They both seem to be good pedals, but the Iron Cobra seems to have a lot more issues with parts breaking...suggesting that it is made of a cheaper material than the Pearls?

Both I know will be far more responsive than my current pedal, so that is not an issue. Unfortunately the only pedal I have been able to try out is the Iron Cobra, but I cannot find any store that has the Pearls to try out.

If anyone has their opinions or stories on either pedal, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

They're both phenomenal; MicahFlores, I have to disagree with you partially... true, the Iron Cobras don't have interchangable cams, but does the Eliminator have independent beater angle and footboard angle adjustment?

OP, you've gotta get your feet playing both of these, I personally would get the Cobras, but that's my opinion! You have to choose yourself, in the end.

Good luck, happy buying!

The Eliminator foot boards are fully adjustable, as well as the beater angle. I have both in single. And decided on the eliminator when I decided to purchase a double. They are both awesome, I just favor the eliminator. For someone deciding on the two, he/she should demo both and see what works for them.

Definitely try both. I own both and would pick the Iron Cobra Power Glide pedals. In my opinion, I believe the Tamas are built a bit more ruggedly and can transfer more power from your foot to the head. Both are great pedals, sort of like Fruit of the Loom vs Hanes, you'll only know which is better and more comfortable if you try them out, lol.

Dennis

I've played both pedals, both are worth the money, just depends on what is comfortable for you, I have the Pearls just for the fact you can interchange the cams, you get what seems like many different feeling pedals in one. Blue cams are the best!

thanks for the replies so far. I definately am going to try to find a store where I can try out the Pearl Eliminators. But if I can't find a place then I'll have to make my decisions based on only trying the Iron Cobras. My initial first choice was to get the Cobras, but I keep reading reviews and hearing stories about them breaking...

Do what I do, if I can't make my mind up between two different articles, introduce a third. Sometimes it works, other times it makes the decision just that much more difficult. Maybe that's why my hair's grey.

Dennis

This is just my opinion, but Tama drums are fine, but their hardware is hanging on by reputation alone. I went through 3 IC's to get one, and that one I had to pull the bearing caps off and file then so the shaft wouldn't move and make noise. The only reason I fixed it myself was because of their policy of working with the retailer. I hate GC and their apathy about what they send out their doors. Long story, but I couldn't exchange them either. I've also had some problems with Tama cymbal tilters. This is probably true with most manufacturers now, but all their hardware comes out of China and their distributer "suggested" they have had some quality control issues with the manufacturing location change.

thanks for the replies so far. I definately am going to try to find a store where I can try out the Pearl Eliminators. But if I can't find a place then I'll have to make my decisions based on only trying the Iron Cobras. My initial first choice was to get the Cobras, but I keep reading reviews and hearing stories about them breaking...

Pearl hardware is really really good, trust me try the eliminators, you can find good used ones on craigslist, shop around and for sure try them out before making a decision to quickly.
Cheers

Pearl hardware is really really good, trust me try the eliminators, you can find good used ones on craigslist, shop around and for sure try them out before making a decision to quickly.
Cheers

Yeah, my original kit was a pearl and the single pedal is came with was the best I have ever used. Even though it was the bottom of the line pedal, it was great.

The double pedal upgrade will be an x-mas present for me, so I still have a lot of time to decide which to get. I'm gonna check a local music store nearby that I haven't checked yet to see if they have the eliminators for demo.

Hi bud i recently invested in aYamaha DFP9500D direct drive double pedal after trying a dw 9000 and pearl demon drive twin in the local music store.

The yamaha had better response, feel and smoothness hands down, i really was blown away by just how smooth the pedal was, snapped it up there and then.

I would seriously suggest you consider this as an option!

Zak

Or the Pearl Eliminator double pedal
I'm against the whole double pedal philosophy but hey you could try the new generation Pearl Eliminators; they are called Pearl Demondrive, basically they are:

More hotted up, smoother, direct drive, very responsive, very adjustable, convertable into a long-board, and you can change cams with out having to actually change cams, just change the drive settings on the cam itself.

Also you can buy spare parts for the demondrive if they break down, but by the look of things that doesn't seem to happen often with those ball bearings making up the joints.

Only crap thing is the price, I think a Demondrive double pedal costs more than two Demondrive single pedals, double pedal is about 1,200 AusDollars, don't know what the currency conversion is to USD.

Last edited:
Finally found a place that had the Pearl Eliminators and the Iron Cobras at the same location to try out.......man you guys are right! The Eliminators blow the Iron Cobras out of the water. Very adjustable, so much smoother and overall quality is 100 times better. These pedals don't even compare, the Iron Cobras play like my current cheap $90 Pulse pedal (which is terrible).

Thanks for the tips and help everyone, decision has been made!

When you get the Eliminators do you get all the different cams?

You get the black, white, blue, and red cams included when you buy the pedals themselves (2 of each if you buy double pedals). There are also purple and yellow cams that can be bought separately.

gibeachhead, great choice with the Elims! I own a pair of these as well (along with Axis A Longboards) and I love them! Actually, I love both pedals!

Been looking to upgrade my old double pedal which is a very cheap one and unresponsive.

I was looking at either the Iron Cobra double pedal: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-Iron-Cobra-Double-Bass-Drum-Pedal?sku=429922

Or the Pearl Eliminator double pedal: http://accessories.musiciansfriend....werShifter-Eliminator-Double-Pedal?sku=448271

They both seem to be good pedals, but the Iron Cobra seems to have a lot more issues with parts breaking...suggesting that it is made of a cheaper material than the Pearls?

Both I know will be far more responsive than my current pedal, so that is not an issue. Unfortunately the only pedal I have been able to try out is the Iron Cobra, but I cannot find any store that has the Pearls to try out.

If anyone has their opinions or stories on either pedal, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

I have an iron cobra for five years and don't agree that it has problems with parts breaking off. Those pedals are strong and if something breaks off, the problem is you, not the pedal.

As to adjustable options, that's a non-issue. The IC has enough options and I usually go back to medium settings. Having too many options is of no use and can be confusing.

I would get the power glide, it's faster than rolling glide. When I did my reserach, the IC came out as the best pedal for its value.

Hey, I have a set of Iron Cobras and I love them. Currently, I am thinking of purchasing a set of Pearl Eliminators from a guy I found on Craigslist. He let me bring them home to test drive them, and they are really solid. One question, I couldn't find the answer anywhere, can I move the beaters laterally? I know on the ICs, I can. I wish to use these on my Vdrums, and when I set it up, the one beater is wayy too left, almost missing the bass completely. You guys know if it can be done?

The Eliminator beaters hit the head equidistantly from the center, so you won't even have to move them. If this feature is important for you, you might want to check out the Mapex Falcon as well. Its beaters are set up symmetrically, but even closer to each other than the ones of the Eliminator.

Back