Stool samples

gjg1986

I'm pretty tall and I've had real trouble arranging my set up comfortably - I'm always changing it round. I've got a saddle style stool and I started to think that maybe this design actually impedes my leg movement. My feet are definitely the weakest area of my playing and sometimes I really do think it's down to seat style and also probably an inability to find the proper height, distance from drums etc etc... But generally when I'm on a saddle style seat I can't play heel up. Just lifting one leg up slightly sends me off balance and toppling over sideways.

Does anyone have any informed views on how much a seat can affect your ability to use pedals and what different stools can do for posture and general leg mobility?

Is it the seat part or the base that's off balance? If it's the seat part you need to get a throne where you can tighten the seat to the base so it won't wobble. I've always had better luck with round seats as opposed to the saddle type. If it's the base, you need to spread out the legs and/or have something that's double braced. Maybe you're sitting too high? Everybody has their own preference, but I sit with my legs at a 90 degree angle, straight out from my waist and straight down from the knee. I've sat in at gigs with the drummer's seat up high and thought the balance thing was off, but again, whatever works for you. Without a picture it's hard to say.... good luck with it.

I'm pretty tall and I've had real trouble arranging my set up comfortably - I'm always changing it round. I've got a saddle style stool and I started to think that maybe this design actually impedes my leg movement. My feet are definitely the weakest area of my playing and sometimes I really do think it's down to seat style and also probably an inability to find the proper height, distance from drums etc etc... But generally when I'm on a saddle style seat I can't play heel up. Just lifting one leg up slightly sends me off balance and toppling over sideways.

Does anyone have any informed views on how much a seat can affect your ability to use pedals and what different stools can do for posture and general leg mobility?

Try sitting on the edge of your seat to free-up the back of the thighs.

Seat height/distance from kit, is the holy grail of the drumming equation. Since all mortal frames are different, all positioning on the drum set are going to be different.

I've found out a smaller seat top is better for movement/balance. I use a 'Stadium Triangle Throne' seat top... sat on it one day in a music store to play an e kit, it then hit me how a small(er) top frees-up the thighs for better movement, easier balance which results in better overall comfort.

The sculpted seat measures 13 3/4 across 11 1/2 tip to back and the lowest part of the triangle measures 6 1/2 inches to the back. The Stadium Triangle is firm without being stiff, so there's no sinking into the foam, unconscious core adjustment, wasted movement while you play, your supported, its not like sitting on top of a marshmallow... more like sitting a top a mushroom.

Designed as a cheap throne, IMO its an undiscovered gem. I sincerely doubt they set out to design this seat to do what it really accomplishes. Won't fit everyone. A real find for improving ergonomics at the drum kit.

Last edited:
Back