This is not a goodbye thread

jazzgregg

Pioneer Member
Well it isn't. Well it kind of is, in a way, sort of. But not.

As some of you may know, I live in Canada, but not for long. I'm moving to London on the 29th of this month. I thought that I would start a thread where you all can offer me advice, comments, suggestions, heckle me, ask me questions, whatever (none of which have to be limited to anything about my moving to England, Canada or I suppose even me. For example: 'what do you think of the MUFC Ronaldo sale?' is fair game=).

So in essence, it's a 'Goodbye from Canada' thread.

Have at it,

GB

I might suggest this is better in the off-topic forum, but this will put it back into general discussion:

Whereabouts in Canada were you living, and do you know any good drum shops in Winnipeg?

Planning a brief trip and looking for some inside advice...

I might suggest this is better in the off-topic forum, but this will put it back into general discussion:

Whereabouts in Canada were you living, and do you know any good drum shops in Winnipeg?

Planning a brief trip and looking for some inside advice...

Hey man,

Er...I forgot there was an off topic section, I never post there. DB, Jason, any chance you could move it there? Sorry about that.

I'm in Toronto, so I've no idea whatsoever about Winnipeg, except that it seems to produce good trumpet players. What's making you go to Winnipeg? Man, I'd say Toronto (plus, I can recommend you everything I know=). If you HAVE to go to Winnipeg, I can ask around for you. Let me know,

GB

Funny, 29th is the day i arrive in london for a week ( mostly work..)

Hey, I hope all of this fundamentally means you get to play & perform more.

Well it isn't. Well it kind of is, in a way, sort of. But not.

As some of you may know, I live in Canada, but not for long. I'm moving to London on the 29th of this month. I thought that I would start a thread where you all can offer me advice, comments, suggestions, heckle me, ask me questions, whatever (none of which have to be limited to anything about my moving to England, Canada or I suppose even me. For example: 'what do you think of the MUFC Ronaldo sale?' is fair game=).

So in essence, it's a 'Goodbye from Canada' thread.

Have at it,

GB

Hey Gregg. I made the jump across the pond 2 years ago. The transition continues.... I live within easy distance of The City and if there is anything I can do to help you with your own adjustment, please PM me and we'll get in touch. Even if you just need to vent about the culture shock - and believe me, there is more than you might think, even going from Toronto to London, let alone Winnipeg.

Let me know!

Last edited:
Hi there i've been to the capital many a time from my home up here in the north mate. It's a great place to be, lot of stuff going on. It's the sort of place you can live in for years and discover something new every single day it's just so big. None of the times i've been have ever been the same. One thing i would say is that stuff is pretty expensive over here, but then again you'll probably be earning more money so it's okay really. Free healthcare too :).

Hey Gregg. I made the jump across the pond 2 years ago. The transition continues.... I live within easy distance of The City and if there is anything I can do to help you with your own adjustment, please PM me and we'll get in touch. Even if you just need to vent about the culture shock - and believe me, there is more than you might think, even going from Toronto to London, let alone Winnepeg.

Let me know!

Great! So you're from Winnipeg? Can you help out the Aussie above that wants drum store info, by chance?=) Yeah, we should talk for sure, I'll PM you. I really appreciate the offer and will no doubt take you up on it.

GB

Hi there i've been to the capital many a time from my home up here in the north mate. It's a great place to be, lot of stuff going on. It's the sort of place you can live in for years and discover something new every single day it's just so big. None of the times i've been have ever been the same. One thing i would say is that stuff is pretty expensive over here, but then again you'll probably be earning more money so it's okay really. Free healthcare too :).

I'm only too aware of how expensive everything is! 10 quid for drumsticks. Maybe I should say this to the Brits that reply on this thread: anything you guys need that I can ship to you before I leave!?=)

Whist I AM glad to hear that you can always find something new in London even after years, because that is a great thing to experience, my lack of direction sense makes my really terrified!

Once again, I appreciate the support and introductions. Where in the north are you, Eddie?

GB

Although I haven't lived or worked in London, it's one of my favorite cities. I always feel comfortable and 'at home' when I'm there, but obviously vacationing is very different than functioning day-to-day.

Funny, but Toronto is also among my favorite cities! (Sydney is also in my top-5. I must have been from the commonwealth in a past life!)

Good luck, have fun!

Bermuda

Although I haven't lived or worked in London, it's one of my favorite cities. I always feel comfortable and 'at home' when I'm there, but obviously vacationing is very different than functioning day-to-day.

Funny, but Toronto is also among my favorite cities! (Sydney is also in my top-5. I must have been from the commonwealth in a past life!)

Good luck, have fun!

Bermuda

Cool man, thanks for the well wishes. Really, you love Toronto? I guess it's different for everyone, visitors too I imagine. And maybe you're just really in touch with your Colonial roots=)

GB

Great! So you're from Winnipeg? Can you help out the Aussie above that wants drum store info, by chance?=) Yeah, we should talk for sure, I'll PM you. I really appreciate the offer and will no doubt take you up on it.

GB

No, I'm not from Winnipeg, I was just riffing... I'm from the Toronto area originally, and lived in TO for 12 years before coming here to the UK.

As far as I know, however, there is a Long & McQuade's in Winnipeg...

I'm only too aware of how expensive everything is! 10 quid for drumsticks. Maybe I should say this to the Brits that reply on this thread: anything you guys need that I can ship to you before I leave!?=)

Whist I AM glad to hear that you can always find something new in London even after years, because that is a great thing to experience, my lack of direction sense makes my really terrified!

Once again, I appreciate the support and introductions. Where in the north are you, Eddie?

GB

Yeah most music stores in the capital would probably sell you a set of sticks for a tenner but i've started using silverfox sticks which are £8 postage included off Highwood Drums website. Most drum and music shops outside of london would give you a set of your standard sort of vic firth/father/zildjian sticks for £7.99 too.

Haha well i wouldn't worry too much. The public transport in london is possibly the best in the world. Plus i mean James May managed for like 20 years didn't he?

Me? I'm from a small town known as "Beverley". You might know of a DW member called "trysthedrummer", well he lives near me in a seaside resort called "Hornsea". Both of these places are near the fishing port city of Kingston upon Hull. Bit further away but still not too far are York and Bridlington. You can get a train straight from Kings Cross to hull in about 2 and a half hours if you ever fancy a visit up here :).

Yeah most music stores in the capital would probably sell you a set of sticks for a tenner but i've started using silverfox sticks which are £8 postage included off Highwood Drums website. Most drum and music shops outside of london would give you a set of your standard sort of vic firth/father/zildjian sticks for £7.99 too.

Haha well i wouldn't worry too much. The public transport in london is possibly the best in the world. Plus i mean James May managed for like 20 years didn't he?

Me? I'm from a small town known as "Beverley". You might know of a DW member called "trysthedrummer", well he lives near me in a seaside resort called "Hornsea". Both of these places are near the fishing port city of Kingston upon Hull. Bit further away but still not too far are York and Bridlington. You can get a train straight from Kings Cross to hull in about 2 and a half hours if you ever fancy a visit up here :).

Thanks, I'll keep a look out for a store outside the city if I need sticks, but as I don't break any really (they just wear out after quite a while), I hope I'm ok for the time being! I just use VF's.

I continuously am hearing how brilliant the transport in London is and that makes me very happy since I am coming from what is likely the worst in the world!

I absolutely fancy a visit anywhere I have never been, actually! Thanks for the invite, are we going to go fishing?

GB

Yeah, we have lots of ducks in England. Mainly Mallards, I don't see many Drakes. Makes duck parties fun.

What a SMALL world indeed! Now we're talking my family roots eddiehimself. Most of my relatives live in this neck of the woods across the pond. The epicenter of the family tree is Beverley, Yorkshire. I've spent MANY summers in Beverley and all points near and beyond over some 27 years now of travelling over from Canada. LOVE that little town. Between pints at Nellie's {new name now ?} and the amazing Beverley Minster and St. Mary's church the feel and history of that town is tops on my list of favorite English port of calls.

Back to the subject at hand all the best Gregg as i've said before when I first caught wind of your upcoming move.

What a SMALL world indeed! Now we're talking my family roots eddiehimself. Most of my relatives live in this neck of the woods across the pond. The epicenter of the family tree is Beverley, Yorkshire. I've spent MANY summers in Beverley and all points near and beyond over some 27 years now of travelling over from Canada. LOVE that little town. Between pints at Nellie's {new name now ?} and the amazing Beverley Minster and St. Mary's church the feel and history of that town is tops on my list of favorite English port of calls.

Back to the subject at hand all the best Gregg as i've said before when I first caught wind of your upcoming move.

Thanks again Stan, much appreciated. I'm looking forward to doing some playing with Len!

And hey, no need to be concerned with veering off or on topic! I find it's not uncommon to see this stuff pop up anymore, the world is getting much smaller and even while there may have always been these kind of 'small world moments', I think now it is just more likely to stumble across them. Doesn't make it any less crazy or surprising when you DO stumble across it though!

GB

My sister lives in London and is always bugging me to make the move. My advice would be:

Watch the Bodegas for expiration dates. Some of those London small quick mart type stores are a little suspect. You could end up 24 or 48 on your knees from food poisoning.

Watch the traffic, esp is you're a jaywalker like most. Even though you've been there before, it is still easy to make a mistake step off the curb and get whacked. :)

Don't take public transit to Heathrow. They don't care if you make it on time. Take a cab to and fro and save the hassle.

London is expensive and the job market is not good. If such were not the case, I would have made the move years ago. It should be a great move.

Good luck!!!

Watch the Bodegas for expiration dates. Some of those London small quick mart type stores are a little suspect. You could end up 24 or 48 on your knees from food poisoning.

Lol, now that's just ignorant! Wait, what's a Bodega?

I'd probably disagree about the job market not being good in London (although i'm still to gutless to step foot in it); being the biggest music centre in Europe it stands to reason that there are the most job opportunities - like NY or LA, getting into the scene is based on confidence and contacts. If the market is no good there, it's a whole lot worse anywhere else.

Back