Weird vintage bass drum hole?

Because some people around here don't like things that go against their deeply ingrained beliefs. You like the no reso head sound and that's clearly wrong. :p

haha haha! i guess not... its not like i cant *gasp!* change the drumhead back!

Im surprised that Jon hasn't shown up in this thread yet. He is to Concert Toms, what Jay Leno is to cars.

and I'm pretty sure that the Premier pic is Phil's 1978 kit from the And Then There Were Three tour...

Well, that means you pretty much HAVE to now, doesn't it?!? ;)

Man, all this single-headed drum talk has got me thinking...

It just may be from ATTWT tour, that's the tour i know least about so i have to try and find out. Penny for your thoughts?

I cut out all the resos out on my first kit,back in 1980. That way I could keep the bottom hoops on. I hated the look of kits without them. I got the idea from Kenny Jones' touring kit with The Who. I really hated it and replaced them as quickly as I could.

Yea, i have proper concert toms but just want to keep the hoop on my kick.

It just may be from ATTWT tour, that's the tour i know least about so i have to try and find out. Penny for your thoughts?

Sure, though I don't want to drag your thread too far off topic... :)

It's from the '78 tour for sure. I realized I had that whole pic floating around in my hard drive and that one tour's kit is unmistakable.

That was his only tour using eight (6 up 2 down) concert toms, On the '76 and '77 tours he still mixed in roto toms and by '80 he was down to six (4 up 2 down) concert toms - which he stayed with for live playing for the rest of his career.

Sure, though I don't want to drag your thread too far off topic... :)

It's from the '78 tour for sure. I realized I had that whole pic floating around in my hard drive and that one tour's kit is unmistakable.

That was his only tour using eight (6 up 2 down) concert toms, On the '76 and '77 tours he still mixed in roto toms and by '80 he was down to six (4 up 2 down) concert toms - which he stayed with for live playing for the rest of his career.

It's kool, I just started a phil collins group here... maybe we can discuss it there! ;)

I bought a used 18" Yamaha bass drum.
It had a 6" hole in it with one of those plastic rings attached.
Even though the ring was firmly attached, the reso buzzed like crazy.
Too much weight for the size head maybe?

Anyways, on the inside of the head is a damping ring. I figured I didn't have much to lose, so cut around the ring and used a straight edge for the top.
It stopped the buzzing, but I don't really use that head. Still have it though.

Here's a before and after pic.

The kick drum looks hungry with that giant mouth like hole in the front. You may want to feed it some laundry.

Back