I think it's about time for a new pedal...

hotpocket

I've had the same drum pedal that came with the crappy Alesis USB kit that I used to have. Bad construction, single chain, hardly any rebound, can only adjust spring tension (maxed out), and just bad all around.

I'm still on an E kit, but it's a decent Roland one. I'll be going to GC and West Music tomorrow to check out some pedals. Not sure if I'm going to get a double or single yet (I don't really NEED a double right now), but it's more likely that I buy a single.

So far, I have it in my mind that I'll check out the Iron Cobra, the Speed Cobra, DW 5000, and maybe some Mapex and Yamaha pedals if they are there. I like to use a lot of slide technique for quick doubles and whatnot, so I'm thinking I'll probably stay away from direct drive. I have been working on my heel toe quite a bit though, and it's slowly getting there.

Any advice/other suggestions to throw my way? I currently don't play any metal, and I probably won't even bother to until I invest in a double pedal. Generally play alternative music with some upbeat styles in there as well. Thanks.

I play the 5000. It is nice, but not quite as fast as some of the others. It is the most powerful pedal I have played. I am not much of a fan of iron cobras but you will have to try them out for yourself. I love the speed cobra. It is one of my favorite pedals I have played on. The only downside is less power than the others. The pearl eliminators are nice also. It really is mostly about you and what you want. Don't go and look at specific name brands. Try all of the pedals you can. You should also look for those big deals at guitar center. I got my 5000 for $100 new. Check them all out. You should find one that fits your playing and price range.

.... I have been working on my heel toe quite a bit though, and it's slowly getting there.

Any advice/other suggestions to throw my way?...

If you're doing real, full foot, heel/toe, instead of ball/toe, or some other variation, I'd say look for a pedal with a longer foot board. Maybe try out the Speed Cobra for that.

Also, try a bunch of different brands and types while keeping an open mind - let your foot decide.

If you're doing real, full foot, heel/toe, instead of ball/toe, or some other variation, I'd say look for a pedal with a longer foot board. Maybe try out the Speed Cobra for that.

Also, try a bunch of different brands and types while keeping an open mind - let your foot decide.

Been technically doing ball/toe, so it's not completely necessary to buy a long board. My feet aren't that big either. Size 9.

I didn't get to try any longboards today though. Only made it to West today. I tried out the DW 5000, 3000, Pearl Eliminator, some cheap Gibralter pedal, and the Mapex Falcon.

Really liked the Falcon. Smooth, responsive, and I like the idea of weighted beaters. Apparently Mapex is coming out with a new version though, not sure if I should wait for that if I decide to go with the Falcon.

For the $50 bucks or so that Gibralter pedal was, I liked it a lot. If I wanted a cheapo, I'd buy that. Didn't like the Eliminator, and liked the 3000 more than the 5000 for whatever reason. Probably the settings. Tomorrow I'll go to GC and hopefully try out the IC/SC's.

most people will just respond with whatever pedal they like. for instance i use a white cam strap drive eliminator, but since you don't like that there would be no point in you buying it.

if you like a pedal, buy it. don't wait for a new version. for one thing your current pedal sounds abysmal, and who's to say you won't enjoy the current version more than the new one?

cheap pedals have one mega plus btw, they carry their value better (you can't devalue less than worthless). trust me, i own a lot of pedals, ranging from $100 singles to $1200 doubles (retail).

toddy is right lad buy the one that you like. I still use Ludwig Speed Kings but they are not as popular as they once were.

Try before you buy! You got the right idea, man, let us know what you end up with!

- Reggae Mangle

Man, my trip to GC didn't make things any easier.

I liked the DW 9000, Speed Cobra, IC JR, and IC. If I got the IC I would get the rolling glide, however. The powerglide seemed a little out of control to me. The 9000 was insanely smooth, but it's too expensive.

Pretty much anything is an upgrade for me, so they all seem pretty great. I have some thinking to do :S

Back