aquarian superkick I

I recently got a superkick I and I was wondering does the dampening ring come off? I'm not sure how I like the head. I think there is too much attack. It has a plasticy sound.

Maybe I should try getting a bass drum patch?

I was just curious if it came off. If anything I've added more dampening by putting a small pillow in my bass.

The ring does come off. It may leave a little glue residue but it should peel off rather easily.

However, if you're getting a placticy sound, try tuning the head a little higher. Those SK heads seem to like to be tuned a little higher than you would think. That's what I've noticed anyway. The low tuning and muffling ring seem to contribute to that plactic sound. Tune it up and will really sing.

The ring does come off. It may leave a little glue residue but it should peel off rather easily.

However, if you're getting a placticy sound, try tuning the head a little higher. Those SK heads seem to like to be tuned a little higher than you would think. That's what I've noticed anyway. The low tuning and muffling ring seem to contribute to that plactic sound. Tune it up and will really sing.

To add to this, play the head, I mean give it a good run before judging. Aquarian Mylar is little bit stiffer a first but after some use, it will sound good and it will retain it's tone & tuning for a long time.

To add to this, play the head, I mean give it a good run before judging. Aquarian Mylar is little bit stiffer a first but after some use, it will sound good and it will retain it's tone & tuning for a long time.

I agree, I've been using the sk1 for a couple of years, personally I think it sounds great out of the box. Yes it is a little stiff but it still sounds great. I find tuning it a bit higher than normal gives you a great response for your pedal and also a nice cutting kick sound. I run it with a ps3 ebony reso and nothing in the bass drum (22' Yamaha beech custom)

As has been said, Tighten it up a bit and all will be fine.

I use a sk I and 2 on my 20 and 22,and like the others I have found they need a higher tuning,then they really come alive,I don't know why they sound so small and clicky at low tunings,maybe the placement/size of the ring kills the vibrations until you get to a higher tension.

I retuned the bass. It seems to be better now. I think with the pillow in it there doesn't seem to be as much bounce as without. Maybe that will be better for my foot though, help me build endurance and speed. I might try again with the pillow now that I am better at tuning it.

I'm considering getting new tom heads too. Right now I use clear emperors for the batter heads and the original single ply resonance heads. I'm happy with them for the most part except for my floor tom.

Because of my current setup, I'm not sure if I should consider clear studio-x's or performance ii's, or maybe even studio-x's with a power dot. I think I would probably use classic clears for resonance heads.

I'm not sure what to use for a snare head. I'm using a coated ambassador right now, and a snare side emperor. I really like the sound of my snare, but the coating on the ambassador is worn out.

I'm considering getting new tom heads too. Right now I use clear emperors for the batter heads and the original single ply resonance heads. I'm happy with them for the most part except for my floor tom.

Because of my current setup, I'm not sure if I should consider clear studio-x's or performance ii's, or maybe even studio-x's with a power dot. I think I would probably use classic clears for resonance heads.

I'm not sure what to use for a snare head. I'm using a coated ambassador right now, and a snare side emperor. I really like the sound of my snare, but the coating on the ambassador is worn out.

I'd prefer Studio-X over Performance II but if you're glad with double ply batter, dont count out the Super-2. The classic clear combo as reso is also recommended. You did your homework well, keep goin' & play those heads :)

Went to the local drum store today and got some classic clears. They don't stock studio-x or anything else, so it looks like I'm going to have to order those online. I decided on clear studio-x for the toms and a coated focus-x for the snare.

Finally got all my heads in. I am mostly happy with the studio-x on the toms. I'm not happy with the snare head though. I think I'm going to try a texture coated instead of the focus-x. The focus-x isn't sensitive enough. I might try the focus-x on my floor tom though since its also 14in.

Finally got all my heads in. I am mostly happy with the studio-x on the toms. I'm not happy with the snare head though. I think I'm going to try a texture coated instead of the focus-x. The focus-x isn't sensitive enough. I might try the focus-x on my floor tom though since its also 14in.

I ended up putting a Focus-X on the floor tom of my previous kit. Actually, it was a clear 16" and I put it on the reso side to tame the excessive ringiness. It just happened to work perfectly. I wasn't a fan of using that head on any snare I've put it on though. I bit too "focused" perhaps.

The regular Texture Coated head should work fine for you.

I recently got a superkick I and I was wondering does the dampening ring come off? I'm not sure how I like the head. I think there is too much attack. It has a plasticy sound.

Maybe I should try getting a bass drum patch?

I would have said an EMAD would have been a better choice. Or even the EMAD2 2 ply clear/coated. That has foam 2 foam ring to choose from, or even not have one at all. Same goes for the reso,

Back