Where does it feel right to you for a port? Does it matter?

Blisco

Just curious about this guys/gals.

Where do you put your bass port? As in location.

On a single bass it has to be 4 o'clock for me. Anywhere else and it feels weird.

If I was doing double bass, than 4 on the right and 7 for the left.

Just curious about this guys/gals.

Where do you put your bass port? As in location.

On a single bass it has to be 4 o'clock for me. Anywhere else and it feels weird.

If I was doing double bass, than 4 on the right and 7 for the left.

Other questions are: How far away from the egde or centre and how big.

I just put it where it looks nice. With my 5" ports, generally 45 degrees 'south' from 'east'. With my current head (2" port), it's at 5/3pi radians. :)

Generally, I just put the very edge of the port about 3 inches in from the edge of the head. I ported the very middle of a head on my last kit and liked it but I doubt I'd like it on my newer kit.

Actually, after thinking about this a bit, I don't care about what side it's on for feel, but I do visually. I prefer the port on the right side of the reso head (from an audience perspective) as it's more 'centered' relative to the kit with a hi-hat, snare, etc to right of the drum (again, audience perspective. I would not cut one on the left side if I had the choice, and I do, so!

I have a 4 or 5 inch hole on mine too (at 4 o'clock) but I really hate the way they look. I don't think it matters too much where you place it except for the distance from the edge.

A smaller hole will feel and sound different than a large one.

I'm going to try and keep the head in tact on my new kit. Last time I did that I didn't like the feel.

Actually, after thinking about this a bit, I don't care about what side it's on for feel, but I do visually. I prefer the port on the right side of the reso head (from an audience perspective) as it's more 'centered' relative to the kit with a hi-hat, snare, etc to right of the drum (again, audience perspective. I would not cut one on the left side if I had the choice, and I do, so!

Okay, you nailed it. It seems more balanced that way.

Now, if I had a second bass, it would be the 8 o'clock position.

Cross-eyed bass drums ftw lol

being a lefty i prefer it at the 7 or 8 o' clock position because i don't want the mike stand to obstruct the kit (not everyone has a stand made for a kick mike) or be in the way of my stands.

If you play out, I'd advise something that isnt too high or too low, so the sound man can easily reach it with the mic.

As for looks, I've been thinking of a larger hole in the head, like 3/4 of a large circle w/ the top flat, just under the TAMA logo. I have an 80s Superstar, so why not go with an 80s-style port?

Back