Terry Bozzio

Re: Terry Bozzio drum pic

it's impressive, but my experience with him and from others is that he is a giant jerk.

What people forget, is he is not using this kit as everyone else "thinks" about how a drumset is used .....

He uses it for complete compositions of songs,...meaning, a song of only drums....that set isn't really set up for ....slapping down a funky back-beat! :)

Haha, I love his kit. I'd never dream of trying to do what he does, but he is impressive. Watch the duet of him and Chad Wackerman on the Drummerworld main site. Ridiculously awesome and impressive. From two Zappa drummers, it's to be expected, but still awesome

I would like to know what this thing is (circled in red, arrows pointing to it).. It looks to me like 2 roto toms put together on a stand??? What is it?

Attachments

• terrybozzio.bmp
    480.5 KB · Views: 9,018

i always thought terry's set was stupid. he doesnt even have any crashes.

But it's not played like a normal set, negating the need for conventional cymbals.

I've always thought Mike Portnoy's set was rather stupid, but I don't lark on about it in 'Mike Portnoy' threads.

Terry's set is a bit like this truck:

bf8champ_400.jpg

Not what I'd drive around town, but it suits what these guys want to do with it.

attachment.php.jpg

AHA! The man's a cheater! He has his chromatic toms marked with pitches! You, Mr. Bozzio, fail, for you are no more talented than a child playing a beginner's set of orchestral bells.

Well, I would probably do the same thing with chromatic toms. I know that if I ever had the privilege to sit down at the kit all I would do is play Aqualung and other random guitar riffs/songs on the toms.

I count 21 toms there. If you want to remember the pitch of everything and play it as well as he does, go ahead and try. I'm sure by now, he could even do without them. They are probably there for the techs. His chinas are basically his crashes, to the guy who said he has no crashes

I count 21 toms there. If you want to remember the pitch of everything and play it as well as he does, go ahead and try. I'm sure by now, he could even do without them. They are probably there for the techs. His chinas are basically his crashes, to the guy who said he has no crashes

Sorry, it was a joke, I couldn't imagine playing a kit like that. I just wouldn't know what to do with all the chinas/toms.

As a side note, I think satin chrome hardware looks ugly.

I would like to know what this thing is (circled in red, arrows pointing to it).. It looks to me like 2 roto toms put together on a stand??? What is it?

Not sure, check the Vic Firth website for Bozzio videos - you can see it in action there - sounds pretty cool.

Crazy how the toms are arranged, not only are there almost 2 full octaves but there are many triads closely grouped together.

I'd love to play that beast some day..

Those of you who are saying Bozzio’s kit is “overkill” probably have not spent much time watching or listening to the material he plays. His view of the drum set is pretty much without a doubt completely different than what most drummers are. For one he plays drum compositions much like someone would play the piano. Hence…the Chromatic toms on his left …and the diatonic toms on his right. Also each of his bass drums are tuned to specific pitches as well. This allows him to lay down ostinato patterns utilizing both rhythm and melody…literally…like bass lines with melodic playing over top of that. Unlike a lot of players who simply have piles of gear up there hitting something every once in a long while for effect…Bozzio plays using all the rules that apply to any melodic instrument…so it would be like telling a piano player to get rid of half of his keyboard in essence. I know peoples first reaction is to think of some guy playing roundhouse fills and long descending rolls like in a ‘prog rock’ sense…but really his music is a little different and more unique than that. Granted it is a different approach to the drums…but I feel it is about more than just showing off how many drums you can have…and his “thing “ is unique and not immediately accessible…but worth checking out.

Back