STICK TWIRLING AND SHOWMANSHIP TECHNIQUE.

i don´t have the dvd i only saw the videos on drummerworld. you´re right they´re very quik and i have a bit english problems but it works. with direction i think you mean that he takes the rebound and twirls or throws the stick up so the stick has after the right position to hit. am i right with that way?
thx for your attention
gretting jonathan

sounds right to me. if you are doing it right it becomes so effortless that it feels like you should do it all the time. billy ward calle this sort of non musical movement between strokes - mechanisms. we all do them to a greater or lesser degree... move something on our body to help keep tempo and groove...why not do something that's flashy as well.j

thanks for the nice tricks!=O)
for a special tanks im sendig you a video klip where im playing compound stickings and adding some backsticking tricks,hope you can be inspired to try something new enyoy and have fun drumming!=o)
thank you again from jens nielsen( greenland)
my homepage : www.jensnielsen.tk =o) feel free to show other drummers the klip!=o)

Anduin said:
Good stuff.

But you left out my favourite. It's like your true spin, but you start between index and up-yours fingers, rotate the opposite way from your true spin, and go through all the fingers, but not the thumb. I guess it's like the true spin, but goes index to pinky instead of thumb to ring, and it spins the other way. Once the spin is happening, you can keep it going pretty much forever, or until the groupies mob you, whichever comes first.

I know what you are talking about. If you do it fast enough most people won't even notice you went through all the fingers. I can do it moderately. The trick I like is called Walking the dog. It is a roll used with one stick while playing traditional grip. You rest the left hand(right hand for me because I am a lefty) on the snare and simply start doing single strokes on the stick with your other stick. It is really cool and is really easy. I taught my guitarest to do it in a few seconds. Watch the video on Vic Firth.com. I saw the video from Jeff Queen I think. I may be mistaken though. But it is a great trick and is incredibly easy.

JOE said:
Check out my stick technique on www.luckysoft.net.I'm 66 years old and I know I'm getting feeble.but you guys might see something you like.
Thanks Joe
Hey Joe, those videos are great! You look like you have a lot of fun when you're playing.

where do you learn how to do these moves and twirls? i know some basic stguff but i dont know what fake, and all that stuff means, are there websites? videos? anything online would be awesome

A simple way to twirl is to first know what fingure you will use when you twirl. Some people twirl in the same spot they play in but others( like me) switch to a different spot before they start. So first know how to twirl, second take the sicks you play with and weight both ends down. (if your are me) you could buy those large rubber band sets, that are about $1 for a pack of 12 and buy a few of those and put on like 3 backs on both sides.( this is also go for chops because you can take the rubber bands off and put them all on the top end and get faster alot quicker) and take them with you everwhere( except to another band, or drum lines practice area).

Thanks Nutha, Your video helped alot. I can twirl my sticks easier now. I can do the fake twirl in a clockwise direction but not in the counter clockwise direction. I still need to work on that. You have been alot of help. Thanks.

Stick Twirling and tricks?

I think I'd rather sit there and look 'Purdie'.

I like watchin' Gene Krupa do this, because the man was poetry in motion, but, for some reason...I can't watch anybody else....Tommy Lee is the worst....I'd rather watch a disconnected TV.

Last edited:
Well i think in drumming you are the most important part in a band. doesnt matter if you are in a school band jazz band rock band punk band, any of that stuff. you are the most important person in the band. And part of your job is to get the Auidence pumped. and if your playing at a pub or just at a little show where everyone can see you, my drum teacher tought me this little trick on spinning the sticks. Its just an optical ollusion thow. And the crowd will go insane when you do a drum solo and you life your stick in the air and spin 10. The crowds raction would be like " oh my god whats happening. whats he gonna do next". and that really does happen lol. i did it at my last show and they were amazed:D so i think impressing the crowd is all assentrial to drumming...

Peace- John

At first I learned to twirl through all of my finger...but found that the stick had to do 2 rotations until I could grab it again to use...and that took too much time. So now....I just twirl between my index and middle finger...and also...you can do as many rotations as you want and you don't have to wait...and its easier to return to your hand for playin. You can do 1 or 100 rotations without having to manipulate your grip too much.

NaturalRaz said:
At first I learned to twirl through all of my finger...but found that the stick had to do 2 rotations until I could grab it again to use...and that took too much time. So now....I just twirl between my index and middle finger...and also...you can do as many rotations as you want and you don't have to wait...and its easier to return to your hand for playin. You can do 1 or 100 rotations without having to manipulate your grip too much.

i do this spin which goes back to tip first after one rotation in case you want to check it out

Re: Drumstick spinology

groovebox said:
hi guys,

drumstick spinology.

Anybody knows ??

I have it and the DVD. It's pretty cool, but I haven't bothered to get too into it.

Fur drummer said:
Thanks Nutha, Your video helped alot. I can twirl my sticks easier now. I can do the fake twirl in a clockwise direction but not in the counter clockwise direction. I still need to work on that. You have been alot of help. Thanks.

green earings here. cant find nutha,s video, is it on line

Johnny_Stacks said:
Well i think in drumming you are the most important part in a band. doesnt matter if you are in a school band jazz band rock band punk band, any of that stuff. you are the most important person in the band. And part of your job is to get the Auidence pumped. and if your playing at a pub or just at a little show where everyone can see you, my drum teacher tought me this little trick on spinning the sticks. Its just an optical ollusion thow. And the crowd will go insane when you do a drum solo and you life your stick in the air and spin 10. The crowds raction would be like " oh my god whats happening. whats he gonna do next". and that really does happen lol. i did it at my last show and they were amazed:D so i think impressing the crowd is all assentrial to drumming...

Peace- John

And that, my friend, is why all of us on drummerworld are better than you. Judging from that statement you just made, I can establish that all of us here are far better at drumset than you. Sure you might have some cool grooves and a few stick tricks, but your attitude is wack..

You're very arrogant when it comes to drumset playing... The only time a drumset player has all the focus is when he/she is soloing. If you try hogging the show, you'll never get anywhere. While playing drumset you should be trying to make all the people around you sound better. You should try to make the musicians in your band sound that much better while playing.

No person in the band is more important than the other.. If you feel that because you take 2 drumsticks and hit them on drumheads makes you more important, *points*, there's the door, please use it. There are things you miss while trying to hog the show by thinking your more important. Your bass player or guitar player could be ripping some cool riff, and because you're back on your drumset showing off too much you fail to see it and your crowd is caught between 2 different worlds. In 1 view is an arrogant drummer pounding his chest trying to look good, and a bass player that's taking his time in the spotlight and ripping a cool bass rhythm.

Now I know that you're gonna try saying that your the most important because you keep time... You're very sadly mistaken there... Any band can make it just fine without a drumset player. They don't need you to keep time. They're musicians enough that they can feel the beat or move their head or tap their foot or something. Sure it doesn't sound nearly what it would with a drumset player, but you must realize that the band members are equal. All the members of a band make the puzzle complete. When you have a complete puzzle and decide to make a piece larger, you mess up the form of the puzzle. Conserve yourself bro. I'm sure you've got some pretty good chops and can really play, but control it. When the time comes for you to solo, kick it and go all out, but when the band is playing, don't try hogging the show. Try your best to make them sound as best as possible.

Back