Heads for low tuning

Jon B

looking for suggestions on heads that will help me get the lowest tone I can out of my tama 100% birch performers. I currently have emperors over ambassadors, tuned as low as they can go with out having the dull thud sound, but just high enough that they resonate and have a bunch of attack. They are so very close to low enough, but I feel like the drums still have the ability to go lower. I've been debating what batters to put on (the emperors are god only know how old and shot!) and now I'm starting to think about reso heads too.
one of the combos i had been thinking about was clear pinstripe over ambassadors, since i wouldn't have to replace the resos, but i was wondering if there was a reso head that would maybe let me get a lower pitch with the same tone? Maybe the vintage ambassador? Also, do the pinstripes have a lower pitch/ more controlled tone (more defined attack) than the emperors?

Single ply will give you the fullest tone with the greatest attack and most resonance and more stick articulation with less force. 2 ply trick you into thinking they are lower from behind the kit because they remove a lot of the higher frequences but they do also remove some lower ones as well, from the audience point of view a single ply will have a much fuller sound and greater attack and you can either use a pre muffled head like an Aquarian studio x or just use moon jell to remove overtones and reduce resonance if needed.

12mil single ply head
coated for a warm (vintage) sound - clear for a modern sound

Remo ambassador x :top and bottom

I tried this and it is pretty impressive - most low end I have heard from a kit period.

The best part is you can tune higher as well and the low end just gets even deeper.

gplus clear top and bottom would do the same but give you brighter attack.

I have noticed using thicker single ply heads as reso's really increases the bass frequencies. you can use muffling on the batter if thats your thing but the reso still pumps out the lows.

I like a medium tuning but I have tested many heads on my floor tom trying to
go as low as possible on that drum and Ambassador x top and bottom gives me the lowest clean tone. They go really low on floor toms just make sure you seat all you heads properly.

2 ply trick you into thinking they are lower from behind the kit because they remove a lot of the higher frequences but they do also remove some lower ones as well
The reason i prefer 2 ply is for the more defined attack, single ply offers a brighter more open attack but I'm looking for definition.

So far I'm seeing the ambassador x as something worth trying, any other ideas? I was thinking more along the lines of clear heads, but my friend and I have been wondering if coated might not be better, since neither of us have ever tried one. The ambassador x over ambassador x is coated over coated, what does a coated reso do sound wise?

Any ideas for aquarian/ evans is cool too. I tried the performance II on my 10 inch and really liked it, but something wasn't quite right, not sure what it was though. The only experience I have with evans is the few heads I've used on kits at schools, my old kit with hydraulics and a st dry, and marching percussion, so I'm very under-aware in that area.

Was reading the thread on Evans new G14 which looks really cool and the sound clips Gruntersdad put on sound great so I'm thinking of getting some of those.

The reason i prefer 2 ply is for the more defined attack, single ply offers a brighter more open attack but I'm looking for definition.

The most definition and attack as heard from the audience will be from a single ply and you will be able to get it with less force so you will be able to get it thru a wider range of dynamics as well as there is no second ply to somewhat muffle the stick articulation and attack on a 2 ply which will cause you to strike harder to try to get it.

I would look at the EC2's. They can go real low , but are still "livelier" than Pinstripes or PIIs.

Back