Heel toe - technique evaluation

Cartoon

I'm trying to learn heel toe tech but not sure i I'm getting it can u let me know

Attachments

• trim.6y7lFP.MOV
    6.3 MB · Views: 127
I'm having some trouble learning heel toe double strokes and wanted some opinions. To see if I'm going in the right direction

Attachments

• trim.t5V9aF.MOV
    6.3 MB · Views: 114
  • trim.8H1jAH.MOV
    6.3 MB · Views: 100
Can you upload those videos on YouTube? You could upload those as 'private videos' so they could be seen only by whoever knows the link.

How long have you been learning heel toe? It takes some time - as basically always. A good deal of issues will simply vanish if you simply stick to practicing it, after some more time. You should be able to figure out lots of things on your own, listening to your body and keeping an eye on how you're performing the motion. You did watch some videos on heel toe or learn it from a tutorial, haven't you?

Pedal settings are another aspect. Use medium or lighter spring tension to get into this technique. Once you learn it, increase the spring tension to your liking. When I recently increased the spring tension it took me a while to get used to it. (I did this after playing for around 2.5 years with medium spring tension and - as I think - being good at doubles, and mainly to give higher spring tension a try when playing faster singles.) Don't start with a high tension, it will make things very hard and frustrating.

To get a good feel for the pedals - place your foot way down on the pedalplate (more distance to the beater) and learn what minimum force/motion it takes to get the pedals moving. What has helped me a lot - and I don't see this being practiced/recommended a lot - is learning to play constant 8th notes per foot, instead of those typical double bursts (like R foot: heel-toe, then L foot: heel-toe, repeat). This is cool of course but playing 8th notes will greatly enhance your foot control/feel for the pedal.

I don't want to repost but its just easier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaGaAfDkhLM

learn the search function too.. theres a bunch of heel toe threads on here already.

the technique your doing is almost a slide double, without the slide.

Arky is right too... keep doing it and doing it and doing it and one day you'll just have it.. the video i sent it took about a week to get a good feel for it... then about 2 weeks and I made that video.. the only difference is I started max tension.. and very tight bass head. but i already had my springs very tight to begin with.

the 8th note thing is a good idea.. i still suck with that but it helps alot for control.

Can you upload those videos on YouTube? You could upload those as 'private videos' so they could be seen only by whoever knows the link.

How long have you been learning heel toe? It takes some time - as basically always. A good deal of issues will simply vanish if you simply stick to practicing it, after some more time. You should be able to figure out lots of things on your own, listening to your body and keeping an eye on how you're performing the motion. You did watch some videos on heel toe or learn it from a tutorial, haven't you?

Pedal settings are another aspect. Use medium or lighter spring tension to get into this technique. Once you learn it, increase the spring tension to your liking. When I recently increased the spring tension it took me a while to get used to it. (I did this after playing for around 2.5 years with medium spring tension and - as I think - being good at doubles, and mainly to give higher spring tension a try when playing faster singles.) Don't start with a high tension, it will make things very hard and frustrating.

To get a good feel for the pedals - place your foot way down on the pedalplate (more distance to the beater) and learn what minimum force/motion it takes to get the pedals moving. What has helped me a lot - and I don't see this being practiced/recommended a lot - is learning to play constant 8th notes per foot, instead of those typical double bursts (like R foot: heel-toe, then L foot: heel-toe, repeat). This is cool of course but playing 8th notes will greatly enhance your foot control/feel for the pedal.

I been watching videos on it and been doing the motions on carpet. But I started firmly practicing it yesterday. But I didn't want to think I have the motion right and just start practicing it wrong. So it looks like a slide technique. Ill have to practice it more. I started doing it slow on the bass but it seems easier when I just play with the snare and hi hat along with it. Thanks for the help

I been watching videos on it and been doing the motions on carpet. But I started firmly practicing it yesterday. But I didn't want to think I have the motion right and just start practicing it wrong. So it looks like a slide technique. Ill have to practice it more. I started doing it slow on the bass but it seems easier when I just play with the snare and hi hat along with it. Thanks for the help

I watched your video and to me it looks like you got some kind of foot movement going (not sure what to call it) which sounds like a double at this speed. However, if your try playing this 5 or 10 BPM slower of faster, I guess it would fall apart. I know from experience ;-)

Practice slow and start speeding up.

Here is another good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc

Re: What am I doing?

no that's not quite it

this is more like it, watch this vid

Practice extremely slow like everyday and then eventually it'll just come natural

DIdn't realize theres a wrong way to do a double stroke? works pretty good for me.. lol

heres another way of doing it if your not into heel toe.. I made this video a while back but its more along the lines of what your currently doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7jfa_MQgBy0

DIdn't realize theres a wrong way to do a double stroke? works pretty good for me.. lol

heres another way of doing it if your not into heel toe.. I made this video a while back but its more along the lines of what your currently doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7jfa_MQgBy0

Didn't realize there's a wrong way of doing a double stroke? First of all there are plenty of wrong ways to do a double stroke. Whereas the second stroke might be too weak compared to the first stroke, or the second hit might be a bounce and not a true stroke.

Second of all the thread is heal toe technique, not double stroke, So you are wrong TWICE. This is not a proper heal toe technique he is displaying

Didn't realize there's a wrong way of doing a double stroke? First of all there are plenty of wrong ways to do a double stroke. Whereas the second stroke might be too weak compared to the first stroke, or the second hit might be a bounce and not a true stroke.

Second of all the thread is heal toe technique, not double stroke, So you are wrong TWICE. This is not a proper heal toe technique he is displaying
No need to be too strict.

BTW, it's *heel toe*, not *heal toe*. Drummers might/should know ;-)

There might be situations - although rare - where a weaker 2nd stroke is fine. I agree most of the time the strokes should be the same volume, sometimes the 2nd stroke needs to be accented/louder. But why 'right' or 'wrong'? We're talking music, you know. So in my book both of your points aren't that valid.

Doubles vs. heel toe: Many drummers don't differentiate between those too much. Many also mix up terminology - what's the difference if you're producing the same sonic result? Do you care what technique is used? Many drummers - especially beginners - use the term 'heel toe' for anything relating to doubles with the feet. Ok, strictly speaking, that's 'wrong' - but does terminology really hurt?

No need to be too strict.

BTW, it's *heel toe*, not *heal toe*. Drummers might/should know ;-)

There might be situations - although rare - where a weaker 2nd stroke is fine. I agree most of the time the strokes should be the same volume, sometimes the 2nd stroke needs to be accented/louder. But why 'right' or 'wrong'? We're talking music, you know. So in my book both of your points aren't that valid.

Doubles vs. heel toe: Many drummers don't differentiate between those too much. Many also mix up terminology - what's the difference if you're producing the same sonic result? Do you care what technique is used? Many drummers - especially beginners - use the term 'heel toe' for anything relating to doubles with the feet. Ok, strictly speaking, that's 'wrong' - but does terminology really hurt?

another wise comment from Arky !!

I don't think bigdrummerboy realizes HEEL-toe doesn't mean you have to slam your heel into the pedal.

that double stroke video i put up first is still considered heel toe. exact same motion. i just don't have my heel on the pedal.

anyways.. if my tutorial i made isn't very good I suggest you should make one on PROPER 'HEAL-toe" and show us how its done...

also.. having the slide technique in there is very close to what he is currently doing.. why not give him options rather than be a D!@K hiding behind a computer?

another wise comment from Arky !!

I don't think bigdrummerboy realizes HEEL-toe doesn't mean you have to slam your heel into the pedal.

that double stroke video i put up first is still considered heel toe. exact same motion. i just don't have my heel on the pedal.

anyways.. if my tutorial i made isn't very good I suggest you should make one on PROPER 'HEAL-toe" and show us how its done...

also.. having the slide technique in there is very close to what he is currently doing.. why not give him options rather than be a D!@K hiding behind a computer?

Who's being a dick?? I certainly am not. And excuse my mis-spelling of HEEL.

Arky is right with the fact that it doesnt matter what technique somebody uses as long as it produces that results one is looking for. HOWEVER, that video that Cartoon posted is not necessarily "heel-toe" technique. They are doubles in a sense but you cant call it something it's not. That's common sense, something that you lack obviously. And who the hell said anything about your video Mr. Betrayal?? Get your head out of your *ss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calm down, folks ;-) Let's discuss and stay polite. We're exchanging opinions, ok? Don't take things too personal.
It's drumming in the end, and it should be a _fun_ thing.

Also, please watch your language. Nothing too serious but just be a bit nicer. Think of the dinner party situation/mood stated in the forum rules...

Calm down, folks ;-) Let's discuss and stay polite. We're exchanging opinions, ok? Don't take things too personal.
It's drumming in the end, and it should be a _fun_ thing.

Also, please watch your language. Nothing too serious but just be a bit nicer. Think of the dinner party situation/mood stated in the forum rules...

You are correct Arky, my apologies.This is not the YouTube comment section lol.

, this was all supposed to help a guy out posting a few videos.. one of "heel toe" or something along those lines, and another video of a technique that looks very close to what he is doing.. hope it helped cartoon

is this whole thing a misunderstanding anyways? Its obvious HIS video wasn't heel toe.. you were just saying the video THAT I posted is also not heel toe... its a version of heel toe... i just don't have my feet forward on the pedals.. EXACT same motion as heel toe..its alot easier.. and its great for keeping even hits as well..... John longstreth, tim waterson, alex micklewright and all those guys are wrong too if you think this is an IMPROPER way of playing.

i only added the slide technique vid in because its close to what his ORIGINAL video is. hes not doing heel toe.. hes just trying to get a quick double hit.. i personally wouldn't use heel toe for just a quick double.. id use the slide

Last edited:
Back